What's new

Blue Ray 2.0 version (1 Viewer)

flagbrothers

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Perry
Does anyone know when the studios will release titles in the new blue ray version 2.0. Given that HD DVD is obsolete, I am in the market for a blue ray player. As I understand it, some players will not be able to upconvert to 2.0.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
At this point I believe the most "Futureproof" Blu-Ray player is still the PS3. The 1.1 profile firmware update has already been released and it will be updateable to 2.0. It's regarded as the best overall player on the market by many. The only real limitataions it has (as far as I can see) is that it cannot raw bitstream Dolby TrueHD but does decode it internally and sends it as a PCM signal and it currently cannot decode DTS-MA, but that could change with future firmware updates.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper

Just to let you know, in case you didn't, version 2.0 of blu ray refers only to extra web-enabled features and extra persistent storage and such, and does not in any way relate to being able to watch the movie itself, or any type of 'upconverting'. A 1.0 player will be able to watch the actual movie with the same resolution as a 2.0 player will. The different profiles just effect the extra features such as PIP extras or Web enabled extras.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Well this is not ALWAYS correct. My BD-P1000 has a very hard time with The Day After Tomorrow. The scene selection menu doesn't work, and sometimes you have to put the disc in the player 2 or 3 times before it will read it. The deleted scenes won't play at all. I've tried this title with 2 different copies of the movie with the same results, and I do have the latest firmware upgrade.

Now to be fair I think it has more to with the extra layer of copy protection than actually being a 1.1 profile disc.

Doug

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
From what I gather, the BDP-1000 being a pain in the neck is just a matter of not having a lot of processor power as opposed to a profile issue in most cases. I can't wait to replace it with something as good as my HD-A1.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Yes this is very true. The BD-P1000 is under powered, but for the most part they have been able to fix problems with firmware updates, but this is not the case with The Day After Tomorrow.

I to have an A1 that I'm VERY happy with.

Doug

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
Sticking to the topic at hand, I thought Disney announced that the animated classics being released will use full 2.0 profile capabilities. I remember them talking about the web and interactive features that would imply it required 2.0.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks