Jump to content



Sign up for a free account!

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Blue Ray 2.0 version


  • You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 flagbrothers

flagbrothers

    Stunt Coordinator

  • 98 posts
  • Join Date: Mar 14 2007

Posted February 22 2008 - 02:41 AM

Does anyone know when the studios will release titles in the new blue ray version 2.0. Given that HD DVD is obsolete, I am in the market for a blue ray player. As I understand it, some players will not be able to upconvert to 2.0.

#2 of 7 WillG

WillG

    Producer

  • 5,213 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 30 2003

Posted February 22 2008 - 03:57 AM

At this point I believe the most "Futureproof" Blu-Ray player is still the PS3. The 1.1 profile firmware update has already been released and it will be updateable to 2.0. It's regarded as the best overall player on the market by many. The only real limitataions it has (as far as I can see) is that it cannot raw bitstream Dolby TrueHD but does decode it internally and sends it as a PCM signal and it currently cannot decode DTS-MA, but that could change with future firmware updates.
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#3 of 7 Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper

    Screenwriter

  • 1,235 posts
  • Join Date: Mar 06 2000

Posted February 22 2008 - 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagbrothers
Does anyone know when the studios will release titles in the new blue ray version 2.0. Given that HD DVD is obsolete, I am in the market for a blue ray player. As I understand it, some players will not be able to upconvert to 2.0.

Just to let you know, in case you didn't, version 2.0 of blu ray refers only to extra web-enabled features and extra persistent storage and such, and does not in any way relate to being able to watch the movie itself, or any type of 'upconverting'. A 1.0 player will be able to watch the actual movie with the same resolution as a 2.0 player will. The different profiles just effect the extra features such as PIP extras or Web enabled extras.
-Jeff Cooper

"Curse you inspector Dim! You are too clever for us naughty people."

#4 of 7 Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

    Producer

  • 5,514 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 16 2006

Posted February 22 2008 - 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Cooper
Just to let you know, in case you didn't, version 2.0 of blu ray refers only to extra web-enabled features and extra persistent storage and such, and does not in any way relate to being able to watch the movie itself, or any type of 'upconverting'. A 1.0 player will be able to watch the actual movie with the same resolution as a 2.0 player will. The different profiles just effect the extra features such as PIP extras or Web enabled extras.


Well this is not ALWAYS correct. My BD-P1000 has a very hard time with The Day After Tomorrow. The scene selection menu doesn't work, and sometimes you have to put the disc in the player 2 or 3 times before it will read it. The deleted scenes won't play at all. I've tried this title with 2 different copies of the movie with the same results, and I do have the latest firmware upgrade.

Now to be fair I think it has more to with the extra layer of copy protection than actually being a 1.1 profile disc.

Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#5 of 7 Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

    Lead Actor

  • 9,306 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 31 1969

Posted February 22 2008 - 05:19 AM

From what I gather, the BDP-1000 being a pain in the neck is just a matter of not having a lot of processor power as opposed to a profile issue in most cases. I can't wait to replace it with something as good as my HD-A1.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#6 of 7 Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

    Producer

  • 5,514 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 16 2006

Posted February 22 2008 - 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Seaver
From what I gather, the BDP-1000 being a pain in the neck is just a matter of not having a lot of processor power as opposed to a profile issue in most cases. I can't wait to replace it with something as good as my HD-A1.

Yes this is very true. The BD-P1000 is under powered, but for the most part they have been able to fix problems with firmware updates, but this is not the case with The Day After Tomorrow.

I to have an A1 that I'm VERY happy with.

Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#7 of 7 Chuck Anstey

Chuck Anstey

    Screenwriter

  • 1,496 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 10 1998
  • Real Name:Chuck Anstey

Posted February 22 2008 - 07:56 AM

Sticking to the topic at hand, I thought Disney announced that the animated classics being released will use full 2.0 profile capabilities. I remember them talking about the web and interactive features that would imply it required 2.0.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users


Forum Nav Content I Follow