What's new

Grammar/Vocabulary ??? (1 Viewer)

Diallo B

Screenwriter
since when did the word 'up/upped' replace the word increase/increased in the english language.

everytime i hear that word used instead of increase/increased it sounds really illiterate dare i say 'ghetto.'

can anyone educate me?

Diallo B

Screenwriter
i knew i was going to get it for that. but i have been typing like this for years (code writing, etc...).

at least it is better than ALL CAPS....

:)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Diallo, I've been typing for years as well, but have managed the difficult task of pressing down the shift key with one finger while typing with another. I promise you, it can be done with practice. ;)

Okay, enough of the gratuitous insults. Please can you give an example or twain of this offensive use of 'up'? I can think of 'up the tension', 'up the stakes', 'up the ante', 'up the volume' and several more that are perfectly acceptable in spoken Brit english at least. They probably wouldn't be used in formal written english, but the same applies to many other colloquial expressions (e.g. 'ain't' which is used surprisingly often in spoken educated Brit english).

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Or as Red Buttons once said, "Dean Martin should be an example to us all. He wasn't content with just being a singer. He constantly pushed his career up, up, up. Dean upped his career. Up yours!"

Regards,

Joe

Diallo B

Screenwriter
there is/was actually a good example on the htf frontpage:

i don't see it anymore. i'll try and find it.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Upping one's language skills? I'm down with that. And that's on the level.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

I've also been coding for years (over 20) and I find if I follow certain rules and conventions, my code is easier to read and share with others. Imagine if they had the same types of rules and conventions for writing English? Hmmmm, I may be on to something . . . ;)

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Actually, according to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, "up" is a perfectly valid synonym for "increase" when used as a verb.

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
Edna: "Embiggens? I never heard that word before I moved to Springfield."
Ms. Hoover: "I don't know why. It's a perfectly cromulent word."
---
Wiggum: " Good God he is fabulous."
Skinner: "Yes he's embiggened that role with his cromulent performance."

So the next obvious evolution of language should be the replacement of "up/upped" with "embiggen/embiggened". It's the cromulent thing to do.

Brad

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
All the examples you're giving are headlines of news articles. Headlines traditionally use abbreviations/slang in order to save space. You shouldn't expect to see proper grammar in headlines.

Find articles that use the term "upped" in the actual body, not the headline, and your point will be more valid.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Says the guy whose name is lowercase...:laugh:

It is my impression that people like to appear uneducated, that can be the only explanation for it, especially when they are criticizing someone else's writing while brutalizing the language in their response.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

But it is a legitimate use of the word as recognized in most (if not all) major dictionaries.

Scott is correct about the headlines, though. The idea is to keep 'em short. Headline-writing is a true talent. Remember Variety's "Stix Nix Hix Pix?" One can use improper spelling in tabloid headlines in order to creatively get the point across in shortened fashion. But rather than a mis-use, I would characterize the use of "up" in a headline as simply a short word that means increase.

After all, the headline from homemediaretailing.com wasn't going to read:

"The Viacom company greatly increased its profits through the sales of DVDs of the films Transformers and Shrek 3."

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Put me down as one of those who are amazed that anyone who ignores capitalization conventions (which are in place to make writing easier to read) comes down on the language/grammar cops side.

I was an IT professional for many years and fired more than one technician who had poor written communication skills. Not to demean your technical skills, but there are many people who can code (and a significant number of those do not have English as their native language), but not so many who can convey to customers or users what they are doing and why.

Diallo B

Screenwriter
i am not getting defensive or insulted by the comments about my lack of capitalization. but i do want to make a statement.

no to toot my own horn i have some of the best writing/oratory/vocabulary skills among my peers and co-workers. as a matter of fact i have received 'feedback' that i need to 'tone down' my vocabulary while speaking and that my professional writing is some of the best that my management chain has ever seen.

so to make a long story short my shorthand on an internet forum is not representative of how i communicate in a professional setting. its just the internet folks.

additionally, i would hate to see how some of you would react to the shorthand that is commonly used in IM and text messaging.

Diallo B

Screenwriter
back to the original topic.....

i don't know why it irks me so bad either. as soon as i read it or hear someone use the term it annoys the hell out of me. it especially grates my ears when i hear news announcers or people in professional settings use the term.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks