What's new

Warner WILL support HD DVD until 5/31/08 (1 Viewer)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I know the disc image is likely done on most of these titles, but it still shocks me that they would continue to release them. I'd imagine the last few titles in May will likely have very small production runs.

Then again, as Warner's claims of format neutrality in December showed, things can change.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
There are those insane collectiors among us who would like to have the very last release on a dying format. For CED it was Return of the Jedi, if I'm not mistaken.

EDIT: For those who needed clarification, I am among the insane collectors.

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For there ARE still a few remaining WB HD DVD combo discs I am still interested in adding (besides American Gangster, which I proudly added last night and played first in my second system on DVD rather than my main system w/the HD setup!) as the sun sadly fades on HD DVD.

This was a concern I had over hearing the news of HD DVD's discontinuation by TOSHIBA.

Amongst those interested discs are Michael Clayton, JLA and In The Valley of Elah, just to name a few!!!!!!!

As long as can get these titles--as well as a few others on my HD DVD to-get list--then I shall be great with what I have!!!!!

And once I have all those to-get titles off of that HD DVD list, I shall then focus exclusively on Blu-ray.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I am a bit surprised by this, but I am glad that they are doing this since there are quite a few people who just bought into HD DVD and who are not currently considering Blu-ray.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
The last CED release was Jewel of the Nile. The later releases tend to go for more on Ebay since they were made in smaller quantities.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Surprising for sure, but I guess Warner is thinking their customers and the promise that was made by them (=to release HD DVD-titles to the end of May). In business sense it doesn´t really make sense, though, since probably very selected group of people will buy Warner titles in HD DVD from now on..

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor

If it didn't make any business sense, you can be sure Warner wouldn't do it. Actually it probably makes quite a lot of business sense in terms of retaining customer goodwill and showing that they will keep their promises.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Well, this is what I meant in the first part of the post. But probably if you count the money that goes to pressing these discs etc etc vs how many people actually buy them, not sure what´s the outcome.

But hey, no problem for me. As long as Warner releases Blu-ray-titles, I´m quite happy. :)

Derek_J

Stunt Coordinator
But... who's going to sell them? Amazon and the like? Apparently some CDN retailers started sending their stock of discs back shortly after Tuesdays death announcement.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I can tell you that Global News in Edmonton ran a story on the HD DVD situation, including interviewing major retailers. All stated that they would continue to stock discs until such time as demand drops or production ceases. FTR, Best Buy and Future Shop are still listing HD DVDs as being available on their respective websites.

Dave Anderson

Second Unit
I picked up a lot of the last laserdisc releases back in 1999/2000. The last two domestic releases were Bringing Out The Dead and Sleepy Hollow; I had both, but sold them and picked up the Japanese LD to Bringing Out The Dead (beautiful gatefold).

The DVD versions blow them away but they still sell for a bit on ebay. They only had production runs of around 500.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
Aren't these future releases going to be at normal prices? Given that it is Warner then every title will also be available on Bluray. I can't really see buying an HD-DVD at non-super bargain prices even if I don't have a Bluray player. I can wait and buy it later on Bluray if I really want it.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
But for those of us who aren't making the jump to Blu-Ray just yet (wanna get a new display first), it's heartening to see that we're not completely abandoned.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

Absolutely and I am glad this the approach that Warner Brothers is taking (even though I am neutral).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks