Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Warner WILL support HD DVD until 5/31/08

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 of 19 OFFLINE   JeremyR

JeremyR

Second Unit

• 409 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted February 20 2008 - 09:29 AM

Warner still releasing HD DVDs until May 31st - Engadget HD

Hope this is the place for it. I didn't see it elsewhere, and I thought it was notable that films such as I Am Legend will be released on HD DVD

#2 of 19 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,788 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted February 20 2008 - 10:28 AM

I know the disc image is likely done on most of these titles, but it still shocks me that they would continue to release them. I'd imagine the last few titles in May will likely have very small production runs. Then again, as Warner's claims of format neutrality in December showed, things can change.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#3 of 19 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,296 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted February 20 2008 - 10:43 AM

There are those insane collectiors among us who would like to have the very last release on a dying format. For CED it was Return of the Jedi, if I'm not mistaken. EDIT: For those who needed clarification, I am among the insane collectors.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#4 of 19 OFFLINE   Tina_H_V

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor

• 652 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted February 20 2008 - 02:19 PM

GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For there ARE still a few remaining WB HD DVD combo discs I am still interested in adding (besides American Gangster, which I proudly added last night and played first in my second system on DVD rather than my main system w/the HD setup!) as the sun sadly fades on HD DVD.

This was a concern I had over hearing the news of HD DVD's discontinuation by TOSHIBA.

Amongst those interested discs are Michael Clayton, JLA and In The Valley of Elah, just to name a few!!!!!!!

As long as can get these titles--as well as a few others on my HD DVD to-get list--then I shall be great with what I have!!!!!

And once I have all those to-get titles off of that HD DVD list, I shall then focus exclusively on Blu-ray.
The Acid Queen Still Rocks and Souls!!!! ;D

#5 of 19 OFFLINE   DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,819 posts

Posted February 20 2008 - 02:52 PM

I am a bit surprised by this, but I am glad that they are doing this since there are quite a few people who just bought into HD DVD and who are not currently considering Blu-ray.

#6 of 19 OFFLINE   Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,126 posts

Posted February 20 2008 - 06:14 PM

The last CED release was Jewel of the Nile. The later releases tend to go for more on Ebay since they were made in smaller quantities.
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#7 of 19 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,277 posts

Posted February 20 2008 - 10:22 PM

Surprising for sure, but I guess Warner is thinking their customers and the promise that was made by them (=to release HD DVD-titles to the end of May). In business sense it doesn´t really make sense, though, since probably very selected group of people will buy Warner titles in HD DVD from now on..

#8 of 19 OFFLINE   Bruce Morrison

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor

• 533 posts

Posted February 21 2008 - 12:31 AM

If it didn't make any business sense, you can be sure Warner wouldn't do it. Actually it probably makes quite a lot of business sense in terms of retaining customer goodwill and showing that they will keep their promises.
Bruce Morrison

#9 of 19 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,277 posts

Posted February 21 2008 - 01:51 AM

Well, this is what I meant in the first part of the post. But probably if you count the money that goes to pressing these discs etc etc vs how many people actually buy them, not sure what´s the outcome.

But hey, no problem for me. As long as Warner releases Blu-ray-titles, I´m quite happy. Posted Image

#10 of 19 OFFLINE   Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure

Casual Enthusiast

• 3,144 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted February 21 2008 - 02:39 AM

Put me in with the nutjobs. Posted Image

#11 of 19 OFFLINE   JeremyR

JeremyR

Second Unit

• 409 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted February 21 2008 - 03:43 AM

Same here.

#12 of 19 OFFLINE   Derek_J

Derek_J

Stunt Coordinator

• 235 posts

Posted February 21 2008 - 07:07 AM

But... who's going to sell them? Amazon and the like? Apparently some CDN retailers started sending their stock of discs back shortly after Tuesdays death announcement.

#13 of 19 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,296 posts

Posted February 21 2008 - 08:07 AM

I can tell you that Global News in Edmonton ran a story on the HD DVD situation, including interviewing major retailers. All stated that they would continue to stock discs until such time as demand drops or production ceases. FTR, Best Buy and Future Shop are still listing HD DVDs as being available on their respective websites.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#14 of 19 OFFLINE   Dave Anderson

Dave Anderson

Second Unit

• 353 posts

Posted February 21 2008 - 08:33 AM

I picked up a lot of the last laserdisc releases back in 1999/2000. The last two domestic releases were Bringing Out The Dead and Sleepy Hollow; I had both, but sold them and picked up the Japanese LD to Bringing Out The Dead (beautiful gatefold). The DVD versions blow them away but they still sell for a bit on ebay. They only had production runs of around 500.
David W. Anderson - dave@horrordvds.com
Webmaster - www.horrordvds.com

#15 of 19 OFFLINE   Chuck Anstey

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter

• 1,609 posts

Posted February 21 2008 - 09:27 AM

Aren't these future releases going to be at normal prices? Given that it is Warner then every title will also be available on Bluray. I can't really see buying an HD-DVD at non-super bargain prices even if I don't have a Bluray player. I can wait and buy it later on Bluray if I really want it.

#16 of 19 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,296 posts

Posted February 21 2008 - 11:08 AM

But for those of us who aren't making the jump to Blu-Ray just yet (wanna get a new display first), it's heartening to see that we're not completely abandoned.

#17 of 19 OFFLINE   DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,819 posts

Posted February 21 2008 - 12:21 PM

Absolutely and I am glad this the approach that Warner Brothers is taking (even though I am neutral).

#18 of 19 OFFLINE   Derek_J

Derek_J

Stunt Coordinator

• 235 posts

Posted February 21 2008 - 12:22 PM

Best Buy and Future Shop in Edmonton are who I've read have sent stock back...

#19 of 19 OFFLINE   Tina_H_V

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor

• 652 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted February 22 2008 - 01:25 PM

Touche!!! Posted Image
The Acid Queen Still Rocks and Souls!!!! ;D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users