What's new

Warner Bros., any plans for an anamorphic "2010" (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I recently saw 2010 broadcast on HDNet, so they must have an HD master available, which is good news...now they just need to do something with it. I'd love to see a special edition for this title. No, it's not quite a masterpiece, but I'm a fan of it anyhow.

I remember reading a long time ago that it premiered (or had a final sneak preview) at a length of around 160 minutes, and was chopped down to just under two hours before general release. However, I've never been able to confirm that with another source; it would be interesting to see deleted scenes if they actually do exist.

Fabian Kusch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fabian Kusch
A Special Edition of 2010 with an anamorphic transfer and some bonus materials is definitely overdue...

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.

I attended a pre-release premiere of the film in Philadelphia, and can tell you that the version that's out there now is the same as what I saw in the theatre that night. If there was a longer pre-release version, it would have to have been chopped down before the multi-city premieres.

Harry

Mark_Mc

Agent
After the recent superb re-release of 2001, it would be nice to see 2010 given similar treatment.

Kubrick probably my all-time favourite director, but I still like 2010 a great deal on its own terms. Being a sequel to such a classic it had huge boots to fill, and while its tone and pacing is very different, it's still a great looking, intelligent piece of work, with some good performances.

Would love to see this remastered with some indepth extras. If anyone at Warners is counting votes for this, then add my name to the list.

John H Ross

Screenwriter
I would love a proper DVD of 2010. I actually prefer it to 2001 in many ways. It's certainly far more watchable than its predecessor - mainly due to yet another excellent performance by the late, great Roy Scheider - and deals with a number of important human "issues" in its own right.

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc

"Certainly" NOT. If you think so, fine, but don't lump everyone into your opinion, because 'certainly' not all of us agree with your assessment. I can watch "2001" endlessly, but have only seen "2010" once (when it first came out) and scanned through the DVD of it once about 5 years ago. I have no desire to really see "2010" again, although I agree it is a pretty good, although formulaic, sci-fi action drama. Just because "2001" may be slow and cerebral 'certainly' does not impact on how watchable it may be.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member

That is like saying that 'Dogs playing poker' is more watchable than the Mona Lisa. :) Just my opinion, of course.

- Walter.

John H Ross

Screenwriter

Indeed! And while I might admire the Mona Lisa I'd probably wanna spend more time watching the dogs! ;-)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
no

i dont agree with john on very much, but here i do.
i guess this will become another 2001 love fest but thats fine.
A special edition of 2010 would be welcome for me too.

Jonathan Kaye

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Kaye
I think people are a bit early asking for a (much needed) remaster of 2010. The obvious release date for such an edition is bound to be in two years' time!:)

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Thought I'd bump this, as I have been wanting a new 2010 release for some time. It's not the classic that 2001 is, but I've always found it to be pretty good in many ways. Too late for a Clarke commentary, I guess, but it'd be fun to hear from Hyams (I think this is his best film, actually).

In any case, it's definitely due for at least an anamorphic transfer.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Just so everybody knows, "2010" is coming out on Blu-ray in April so an anamorphic transfer is on the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks