Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Installing RAM into a laptop

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 Jon_Are

Jon_Are

Screenwriter

• 2,038 posts

Posted February 19 2008 - 03:38 PM

I'm nearly ready to spring for a laptop (my first), and I'm looking for at least 3GB of RAM. Problem is, nearly all laptops I see come with just 2GB (very few exceptions).

I've installed plenty of desktop RAM, but I assume that task is much easier than installing into a laptop.

Is it a difficult process?

Thanks,

Jon

#2 of 6 nolesrule

nolesrule

Producer

• 3,084 posts
  • LocationClearwater, FL

Posted February 19 2008 - 04:36 PM

Installing RAM in most notebook computers is an easy process, as the module connectors are just underneath one of the unscrewable panels on the bottom. It's infinitely simpler than in desktop computers, actually. No reaching in among computer components and cables.

If you really want to save some money, the best thing to do is buy the minimum amount of RAM possible at time of computer purchase (in 1 stick is usually the cheapest) and get the full amount of RAM you want from a third party vendor. It will almost always be less expensive.

#3 of 6 DarrenHo

DarrenHo

Stunt Coordinator

• 127 posts

Posted February 19 2008 - 05:09 PM

often only 1 stick is accessible under the external door. the other stick is usually under the keyboard. a little more time consuming but not too difficult.

#4 of 6 SethH

SethH

Screenwriter

• 2,867 posts

Posted February 19 2008 - 09:39 PM

often only 1 stick is accessible under the external door. the other stick is usually under the keyboard. a little more time consuming but not too difficult.

I believe that is the case on all Dell laptops now. I just got a new laptop about 2 months ago and ordered it with the minimum amount of RAM from Dell, then I ordered the RAM I actually wanted from Newegg. The first stick was extremely easy to install on the bottom, but for the other one I had to open up the laptop and get under the keyboard. It wasn't too bad at all, but it's a somewhat uncomfortable feeling to be pulling apart a brand new laptop.

#5 of 6 Nathan_F

Nathan_F

Second Unit

• 257 posts
  • LocationFishers, IN

Posted February 20 2008 - 01:36 PM

Just got a new Toshiba at home. Both slots are in a "hatch" in the bottom of the computer.

#6 of 6 Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted February 20 2008 - 06:26 PM

And before you bother, be sure to discover if your laptop can even utilize more than 2 gigs. On some, there's a limit which tends to be 2 GB, so you might stick in 3 or 4 gigs worth but find the machine only "sees" 2 GB.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now