Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Pinocchio coming in 2009

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 of 22 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,318 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted February 19 2008 - 12:38 PM

With Blu-Ray the victor in the HD format war, this is the first I've heard of any actual titles planned, and this is one that both needs and deserves a quality release:

Quote:
A booklet inside 101 Dalmatians: Platinum Edition confirms that following Sleeping Beauty this fall, Walt Disney's 1940 classic Pinocchio will be next in line to receive the two-disc Platinum Edition treatment on DVD and Blu-ray. The animated feature, Walt Disney's second,

has been released twice on DVD but never with more than a trailer for bonus features. It has been out of print since January 2002.

If I said I felt easy about how it would turn out knowing Disney's track record, I'd be lying Posted Image

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#2 of 22 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted February 19 2008 - 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewA
With Blu-Ray the victor in the HD format war, this is the first I've heard of any actual titles planned, and this is one that both needs and deserves a quality release:

If I said I felt easy about how it would turn out knowing Disney's track record, I'd be lying Posted Image

Keeping fingers crossed. This is the kind of title I've been waiting for!

Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#3 of 22 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted February 19 2008 - 12:45 PM

YES!!!!!

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#4 of 22 OFFLINE   ZackR

ZackR

Supporting Actor

• 611 posts

Posted February 19 2008 - 12:50 PM

Awesome! I hope they do this one right...IE, no frozen/still background during the opening credits, etc...

Regardless, this is one of my all-time favorite films. It has been since I was a kid. I can't wait to pick this one up. My current DVD has served me well since 1999...time for a new edition. Posted Image

Ooh, I'd love some quality extras. This film deserves them!
You'll Believe A Man Can Fly
DVDAF

#5 of 22 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,843 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted February 20 2008 - 03:05 AM

I'm a sucker for (almost) any animated Disney product. Even if I don't get to watch it for three months. Posted Image I'm there.

#6 of 22 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,085 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 20 2008 - 03:44 AM

Where's a link to that information?

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#7 of 22 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,843 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted February 20 2008 - 03:46 AM

^ I believe it's inside the 101 Dalmations package which comes out on March 4.

#8 of 22 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,318 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted February 20 2008 - 04:17 AM

I got it from ultimatedisney.com

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#9 of 22 OFFLINE   Eric F

Eric F

Screenwriter

• 1,810 posts

Posted February 20 2008 - 04:41 AM

Yawn.

2009 is so far off I hardly consider this as news. Disney has the habbit of cancelling/delaying their titles anyways, so I'm still waiting for a definitive date on Sleeping Beauty which was supposed to be released this year.

#10 of 22 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,843 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted February 20 2008 - 04:49 AM

Eric,

The only animated Disney release that got bumped as far as I'm aware was The Aristocats.

Sleeping Beauty I have on my calendar for October 7. Anyone care to confirm that date?

#11 of 22 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts

Posted February 20 2008 - 05:26 AM

Disney doesn't have a history of delaying their Platinum releases. They've been released like clockwork whenever they were scheduled since the first one, Snow White, back in Fall 2001.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#12 of 22 OFFLINE   Craig Beam

Craig Beam

Screenwriter

• 1,689 posts

Posted February 20 2008 - 07:18 AM

Effin' FINALLY. This film has languished for WAY too long. Peter Pan and Dumbo have been released three times each on DVD, but somehow this seminal classic has only been released ONCE way back in 1999. So yeah, GREAT news. And Blu-ray too? AWESOME.

But what I'm really waiting for is FANTASIA on Blu. Posted Image

#13 of 22 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted February 20 2008 - 07:25 AM

Quote:
This film has languished for WAY too long.

Absolutely, I know it has merely by the fact that I never picked it up on SD DVD. That said, 2009 is a long ways off. Posted Image
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#14 of 22 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts

Posted February 20 2008 - 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Beam
But what I'm really waiting for is FANTASIA on Blu. Posted Image
If Pinocchio is the Spring 09 Platinum release, that leaves the following three in some sort of rotation for Fall 09/Spring 10/Fall 10: Fantasia, Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs, and Beauty & the Beast.

My personal bet would be Fantasia in Spring 2010.

#15 of 22 OFFLINE   Eric F

Eric F

Screenwriter

• 1,810 posts

Posted February 20 2008 - 11:52 AM

I guess Disney still thinks the only animated titles people really want to see/purchase in HD are its Pixar titles. They have plenty of classic titles to go around, I'm not really sure what the HD hold up is, especially when they're reissuing them on DVD from HD masters quite frequently.

#16 of 22 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,843 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted February 20 2008 - 12:09 PM

Eric...

Isn't that the Disney MO? To create demand and then issue for a limited time? We have Sleeping Beauty coming end of this year, Pinocchio next year. Could Aristocats have been on Blu Ray? Probably. But know what? If they don't issue it in BD day and date with the SD, they can RESELL it later down the road. It's typical Disney.

#17 of 22 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,318 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted February 20 2008 - 04:04 PM

I'm unsure whether for the new disc of Aristocats they went back to the film elements and created a new transfer or just cropped the old one. I'm guessing the latter.

#18 of 22 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted February 21 2008 - 03:37 AM

What would be nice is since they have an entire 16x9 HD frame to work inside, is that rather than crop the 1.37:1 image to 1.33:1 as is usually done with older Academy Aspect Ratio films for 4x3 TV, they could keep the whole 1.37:1 native apsect ratio in tact which would just silghtly shrink the width of the left/right pillar-bars on each side of the image.
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#19 of 22 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,221 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted February 21 2008 - 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet
What would be nice is since they have an entire 16x9 HD frame to work inside, is that rather than crop the 1.37:1 image to 1.33:1 as is usually done with older Academy Aspect Ratio films for 4x3 TV, they could keep the whole 1.37:1 native apsect ratio in tact which would just silghtly shrink the width of the left/right pillar-bars on each side of the image.

WWSD

What Would Storaro Do? Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#20 of 22 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted February 21 2008 - 04:14 AM

Brilliant. Just brilliant. Posted Image
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow