What's new

Will Toshiba be able to manufacture a Blu-Ray player? Will it play HD-DVD's? (1 Viewer)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
So Toshiba threw in the towel. Ok, I understand the format war is pretty much over. Now, the question is, will Toshiba manufacture a Blu-Ray player? Will it play HD-DVD's? I think that would be a really handy feature. I also think a Toshiba made Blu-Ray player will probably work well too. I don't know the details of the format war, so I don't know whether or not a) Toshiba is legally able to produce a Blu-Ray player now? or b) Toshiba will want to make a Blu-Ray player. I would think they would want to, or risk no longer being a major part of disc based movie software for the next few years. If Toshiba is somehow legally un-able to produce a Blu-Ray player now, perhaps this situation could change due to an "agreement". Of course, we all know what that means. The oh so painful sting of Toshiba buying the rights to manufacture Blu-Ray players.

I know Toshiba has said that they have no plans to make a BD player, but it is still a possibility in the future.

So, any idea's?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Being able to produce a BD player would simply be a matter of licencing the technology from the patent owners (in this case, Sony). Sony did the same thing for years with both VHS and DVD, and in the case of DVD, was licencing from Toshiba. I don't think there's a legal issue here.

Sony, at the time of Beta's general demise, stated they had no plans to produce VHS equipment. That lasted about a year.

What I want to see from Toshiba is a combo player. If anyone can bring that technology to market at an affordable level, Toshiba is among the top contenders.

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
Toshiba may end up eventually making Blu-ray players, but the company pointedly said in its statement today that it would not be developing any more HD DVD players. That would seem to indicate that Toshiba would not be producing any dual-format players. With no new titles coming out on HD DVD, the appeal would be limited to the relative handful of early adopters.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I'd love to see a Tosh combo player announced asap. Then I could go on a clearance-priced HDD shopping spree (and just wait for that Tosh player to arrive, instead of for Universal, et al to get up to speed w/ Blu-ray). ;) :D

_Man_

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I guess the price of HD DVD's and player may not drop into oblivion since they are now collector item's and very useful to people who are going to be scooping up the remaining HD-DVD's... I wonder what the studio's release lists for HD-DVD look like now! I am tempted to go looking for HD-DVD deals now :)

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Man, you read my mind, although I'm coming at it from the other side of the fence (A30 owner and a fan of Toshiba products generally).

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Toshiba is the 51% owner of the joint venture they started with Samsung, back in 2004, making optical-memory equipment. Read: CD- and DVD-drives and the like.

They probably already have the patent secured (Samsung made BD-players and a combo player and a new version of that one was announced for September this year).

Cees

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
I doubt that Toshiba will be making any more HD DVD-players, not even the combo-ones. Their latest message for the sharaholders was quite clear; Toshiba is out from the HD DVD-game, which has brought them mainly losses.

Patrick.C

Second Unit
I don't think there's any doubt that Toshiba will eventually manufacture a Blu Ray player. Although DVD is here to stay for a few more years, Blu will eventually replace it. There is no way that Toshiba will stay out of the game.

jasc15

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe
Im browsing Blu-ray players now, and i see them offered by multiple manufacturers, which tells me that Toshiba could just as easily build them by license. I would imagine that it would be in Toshiba's best interest to jump in and build them, as well as to capitalize on the remaining HD-DVD market. Toshiba would probably be the preferred combo player if that did happen.

BTW, this is my first post here and there is quite a lot I have learned from browsing around. Thanks for all the info

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Very interesting indeed. So Toshiba will become the one making Cell chips for Sony's PS3 going forward?? Maybe they will make that stripped down HDM version of the PS3 that Sony's not going to (as I had wondered aloud previously).

Hmmm... Would this be Sony's "olive branch" to Toshiba? I wonder if and how much of a discount Sony is giving Toshiba on this sale...

_Man_

bigluigi

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Primeau
Welcome aboard Joe....guys around here are real friendly. Just jump on in whenever you feel like it.:)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Yes, welcome Joe.

I see Toshiba eventually producing BD players, but I wouldn't expect to see any announced until CEDIA (September) at the earliest. It wouldn't be that hard to adapt their hardware, but they would either have to license someones software or develop their own which is the hard part. I don't see them doing a combo player, it just doesn't make sense since after June no new releases will come to HD DVD. With new A3s going for under $90 get one of those and get a BD player. You can always duct tape them together for a "home brewed" combo player :) .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks