Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

New Indiana Jones SEs Coming?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
80 replies to this topic

#1 of 81 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,232 posts

Posted February 19 2008 - 07:53 AM

From the Digital Bits:

Quote:
Paramount has also announced the Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark: Special Edition, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom: Special Edition and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade: Special Edition for DVD release on 5/13.

I guess this makes sense with the new film coming out. But what more will they do, if anything. We know there won't be commentaries (unless Lucas really wanted to do them and Spielberg would be ok with it) Maybe some of the much talked about deleted scenes, which I would think is improbably. I'm guessing they'll just break up the Documentary from Disc 4 of the original set and place the parts that address each movie on their respective DVD.

Here's hoping they'll get a BD release and that they will contain movie cash.
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#2 of 81 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,077 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted February 19 2008 - 08:22 AM

Unless (1) it's a BD release (and could still be "purple"; jury's out on that @ this point); and (2) there are substantial new features, I'll be passing.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#3 of 81 OFFLINE   SD_Brian

SD_Brian

Supporting Actor

• 589 posts

Posted February 19 2008 - 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillG
I'm guessing they'll just break up the Documentary from Disc 4 of the original set and place the parts that address each movie on their respective DVD.
That was my first thought also though they'll probably include some behind-the-scenes marketing-fluff promos for both the new movie and any tie-in video games.

#4 of 81 OFFLINE   Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

• 1,687 posts

Posted February 19 2008 - 08:44 AM

Well if rumors were true that they were preparing some kind of HD release, then they may have created some decent, actually new extras. I guess we'll see.

As for an eventual BR release, am I the only one who doesn't favor large movie packages? I'd much rather them release a movie at a time and spread them out over several months. It ensures they give more attention to the individual movies and allows me to appreciate them more. When we get them in box sets, it's almost as if they're putting them out in theaters and releasing them all on the same day.

If we just got Raiders on BR this year that would be more than enough for me.
"Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll hunt him... because he can take it... because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a DARK KNIGHT."

#5 of 81 OFFLINE   ChrisCook

ChrisCook

Screenwriter

• 1,504 posts

Posted February 19 2008 - 08:53 AM

I bought the Best Buy exclusive back in 2003 on release day, and I'm quite happy with that. But what I would like to see from Paramount is a definitive soundtrack with the original scores from all three films. You would think one as got to be in the works to coincide with the fourth film. Has anyone heard anything on this?

#6 of 81 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,341 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted February 19 2008 - 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillG
I'm guessing they'll just break up the Documentary from Disc 4 of the original set and place the parts that address each movie on their respective DVD.
Seems like a good guess. I think this will basically be like the Star Wars trilogy re-releases (the three disc re-release when they just dropped the 4th disc and the OT release when disc one was the same as the first release and disc two was 'new').

Even if there is new content, I'm sure it'll be the same transfer as they used for the first release.

#7 of 81 OFFLINE   SD_Brian

SD_Brian

Supporting Actor

• 589 posts

Posted February 19 2008 - 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Gibbs
am I the only one who doesn't favor large movie packages? I'd much rather them release a movie at a time and spread them out over several months.
As a compromise, I would say release the individual movies and the box set simultaneously. That way, people who want everything at once can get it (hopefully at a discount) and the people who only want one of the movies or who want them all but not all at once can go at their own pace.

#8 of 81 OFFLINE   Grant H

Grant H

Screenwriter

• 2,844 posts

Posted February 19 2008 - 09:26 AM

I'm more curious to know if they're getting new transfers, or at least new encodes. TOD, sadly, always looked the best. Only ROTL got the Lowry treatment, and I think it could look better. LC always looked a bit overprocessed.

There's room for improvement, and I suspect a lot of work will have to be done before they are HD-ready. But if these are new treatments it would indicate the work has already been done.
My midis bring all the Force to the yard; my midis are better than yours!

#9 of 81 OFFLINE   Jim Barg

Jim Barg

Second Unit

• 395 posts

Posted February 19 2008 - 12:03 PM

I'm more than happy to wait until the holidays and get the you-know-it's-coming four-movie set. If there are good quality extras for the originals, I can always pawn the 2003 set off onto my brother or my parents. If not, I'll just pick up Indy IV and be done with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCook
But what I would like to see from Paramount is a definitive soundtrack with the original scores from all three films. You would think one as got to be in the works to coincide with the fourth film. Has anyone heard anything on this?
That would be wonderful, Chris, but Paramount has been notoriously stingy with their soundtrack library. You would have thought that after the deluxe reissues of Star Wars and Superman, there would have been an Indy set on the way. Nothing has been rumored, sadly.

#10 of 81 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,319 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted February 19 2008 - 12:35 PM

If it were me in charge, I would wait for the fourth movie to come out on BD before releasing the first 3 films in that format. If they do quality work, I'll wait.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#11 of 81 OFFLINE   Brad M

Brad M

Second Unit

• 499 posts

Posted February 19 2008 - 12:45 PM

This news has just kinda been thrown out there with no details. I'm surprised it has gone mostly unnoticed by most. You'd think if they are calling them special editions there'd be some good extras being teased. Since there are no details I guess I just assume, for now, these are not going to be all that "special".
Don't make me hungry. You wouldn't like me when I'm hungry.

#12 of 81 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted February 19 2008 - 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Barg

That would be wonderful, Chris, but Paramount has been notoriously stingy with their soundtrack library. You would have thought that after the deluxe reissues of Star Wars and Superman, there would have been an Indy set on the way. Nothing has been rumored, sadly.

I actually did hear a rumor just in the last week about a boxed set of the complete Indy scores including alternate takes. I'll see if I can track it down again.

Also Paramount has nothing to do with the Indy soundtracks. They are completely owned by Lucasfilm.

Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#13 of 81 OFFLINE   donnie_d

donnie_d

Stunt Coordinator

• 179 posts

Posted February 19 2008 - 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCook
I bought the Best Buy exclusive back in 2003 on release day, and I'm quite happy with that. But what I would like to see from Paramount is a definitive soundtrack with the original scores from all three films. You would think one as got to be in the works to coincide with the fourth film. Has anyone heard anything on this?

what was the bestbuy exclusive? tin?

#14 of 81 OFFLINE   ScottJH

ScottJH

Second Unit

• 485 posts

Posted February 19 2008 - 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnie_d
what was the bestbuy exclusive? tin?

Bonus disc w/ original featurette for Raiders.

#15 of 81 OFFLINE   Son of Nothing

Son of Nothing

Agent

• 33 posts

Posted February 19 2008 - 02:52 PM

My box set will do just fine until they get an HD release.

#16 of 81 OFFLINE   ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait

Screenwriter

• 2,187 posts

Posted February 19 2008 - 03:29 PM

If I double-dip on Indy, it'll be on high-def, unless Steven Spielberg does a commentary for all 4 movies.

#17 of 81 OFFLINE   SD_Brian

SD_Brian

Supporting Actor

• 589 posts

Posted February 19 2008 - 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacharyTait
If I double-dip on Indy, it'll be on high-def, unless Steven Spielberg does a commentary for all 4 movies.
If I'm not mistaken, Steven Spielberg doing a commentary track is one of the signs of the apocalypse.

#18 of 81 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,172 posts

Posted February 19 2008 - 04:30 PM

All I could see them adding is the original tv specials for each movie, otherwise there's nothing left to include and no point to utilize the laserdisc transfers of each since the originals are still preserved.

#19 of 81 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,172 posts

Posted February 19 2008 - 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce
Also Paramount has nothing to do with the Indy soundtracks. They are completely owned by Lucasfilm.
And sadly Lucasfilm has seen no need to strike up a relationship with a new label to get those osts out. Personally I think FSM would be better off going after these babies then spending their time on Superman.

#20 of 81 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,077 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted February 19 2008 - 04:54 PM

What about LFL's relationship with Sony Classical? Surely this is still going, and I could wait until the release of the 4th film on BD for a definitive soundtrack set.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow