What's new

Paramount and Universal about to go blu... (1 Viewer)

brap

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alisdair Edwards

Don't say stuff like that. If "they" hear it, bare bones is what you'll get.

Although, I as well am of the sucker kind that has wasted shelf space on BD and DVD Fifth Element & Spider-man movies because the extras were not ported.

ErichH

Screenwriter
Great News David!

There are a number of BD titles I'd buy as soon as they hit. Bet they've been ready to go on a few for weeks. Just waiting for some official green light.
Nothing like a sinking profit line to get some greedy studio butts in motion ;)

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

I hope so too! If When I buy it again it will make it my fourth purchase of this movie and I would really like it to be my last. :)

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Hopefully the extra capacity will allow them to also include the material that you had to get online with the HD-DVD.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Although I was fond of HD DVD, now that the war is history, I must admit that I hope announced HD DVD titles that are a few months down the road, (Sweeney Todd and There Will Be Blood) are actually issued in the blu format instead.

It strikes me that it would make financial sense for Paramount to do this, as the smaller HD DVD camp is now less likely to pony up for new releases when the format is done.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Where is the announcement from Paramount?!

I thought it would be yesterday along with Toshiba and Universal

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
You would think Paramount would have been front and center, announcing release dates for some of the supposedly pressed discs from last year (ie. Blades of Glory, Top Gun, Transformers). Oh well...it makes for an interesting day at work.

EricKA

Stunt Coordinator

I would like to think the reason for their delay in an announcement is so they can announce an official street date for Transformers at the same time with their return to blu. :) They know people want that title.

In addition to what was already pressed, I certainly hope they also announce release dates soon of what they had advertised in their blu-ray disc insert ads, such as Saturday Night Fever and Zodiac. I want those very badly!
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I think Blades Of Glory was the only one actually pressed, as a few copies did leak out. The others were supposedly authored and ready to be pressed. Time will tell.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Nothing in this format war has been simple, and I am deathly afraid of Paramount going download exclusive or some rubish at this point.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Welcome into the Blu pool, Universal! Let me remind you that Alfred Hitchcock's Vertigo celebrates its 50th anniversary this year, so this would be a PERFECT choice for Blu-ray. :D

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Penton has been 100% correct about everything for the past 2 years. He even knew that Warner was going to announce BD exclusivity, and the day that they were going to do it, before it happened (craftily saving his 1000th post for the day of the Warner announcement just for the occasion). That certainly says something for his reliability, so I'd trust him.

Still, one would think that paramount working out the money thing wouldn't necessarily stop them from announcing blu support in a general way ala Universal. I guess I have to be patient! ;)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
It's official, Paramount is on-board:

Paramount seals Blu-ray sweep

"All six major Hollywood studios are now in the Blu-ray Disc camp, a day after Toshiba has pulled the plug on HD DVD and Blu-ray became effectively the only next-gen game in town.

Paramount Home Entertainment quietly came onboard via a statement sent exclusively to The Hollywood Reporter on Wednesday: "We are pleased that the industry is moving to a single high-definition format, as we believe it is in the best interest of the consumer," the statement reads. "As we look to (begin) releasing our titles on Blu-ray, we will monitor consumer adoption and determine our release plans accordingly."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks