Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Paramount and Universal about to go blu...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 of 20 DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted February 19 2008 - 04:41 AM

A BD insider has already confirmed that Paramount has a high-bit-rate AVC encode of Transformers already authored and about to be replicated on 50GB BD with lossless PCM audio.

Nice.

And it seems we have more industry confirmation that Universal is about to go blu:

Home Media Magazine - Bringing Digital Entertainment To You

Quote:
At least one of the two studios exclusive to HD DVD is already gearing up to join the other team.

"While Universal values the close partnership we have shared with Toshiba, it is time to turn our focus to releasing new and catalog titles on Blu-ray," said Craig Kornblau, president of Universal Studios Home Entertainment.

"The path for widespread adoption of the next-generation platform has finally become clear. Universal will continue its aggressive efforts to broaden awareness for hi-def’s unparalleled offerings in interactivity and connectivity, at an increasingly affordable price. The emergence of a single, high-definition format is cause for consumers, as well as the entire entertainment industry, to celebrate."

Posted Image
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#2 of 20 ReggieW

ReggieW

Screenwriter

• 1,574 posts

Posted February 19 2008 - 05:01 AM

I am just glad that we finally have a single format.
More Harlow on DVD Now! - Red Dust, Bombshell, Hold Your Man, Saratoga, The Iron Man, Goldie, The Secret Six, Beast of the City, Three Wise Girls, Reckless, Personal Property, Riff-raff, Suzy & Girl from Missouri

#3 of 20 Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter

• 1,105 posts

Posted February 19 2008 - 05:04 AM

Serenity in Blu - can't come soon enough.

#4 of 20 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,068 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted February 19 2008 - 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Orr
Serenity in Blu - can't come soon enough.
Hopefully it'll have the extra bonus content from the 2-disc DVD that wasn't on the HD-DVD, but I'll buy it even if it doesn't.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#5 of 20 DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted February 19 2008 - 05:18 AM

Another Universal news report:

Breaking: Universal Studios Goes Blu | High-Def Digest

what I find so compelling is this phrase:

Quote:
The emergence of a single, high-definition format is cause for consumers, as well as the entire entertainment industry, to celebrate.

Talk about having a good attitude!

#6 of 20 brap

brap

Stunt Coordinator

• 108 posts

Posted February 19 2008 - 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway
Hopefully it'll have the extra bonus content from the 2-disc DVD that wasn't on the HD-DVD, but I'll buy it even if it doesn't.

Don't say stuff like that. If "they" hear it, bare bones is what you'll get.

Although, I as well am of the sucker kind that has wasted shelf space on BD and DVD Fifth Element & Spider-man movies because the extras were not ported.

#7 of 20 ErichH

ErichH

Screenwriter

• 1,167 posts

Posted February 19 2008 - 10:34 AM

Great News David!

There are a number of BD titles I'd buy as soon as they hit. Bet they've been ready to go on a few for weeks. Just waiting for some official green light.
Nothing like a sinking profit line to get some greedy studio butts in motion Posted Image

#8 of 20 Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,520 posts

Posted February 19 2008 - 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway

I hope so too! If When I buy it again it will make it my fourth purchase of this movie and I would really like it to be my last. Posted Image
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#9 of 20 Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins

Screenwriter

• 1,762 posts

Posted February 19 2008 - 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet
A BD insider has already confirmed that Paramount has a high-bit-rate AVC encode of Transformers already authored and about to be replicated on 50GB BD with lossless PCM audio.
Hopefully the extra capacity will allow them to also include the material that you had to get online with the HD-DVD.

#10 of 20 Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor

• 974 posts

Posted February 20 2008 - 02:00 AM

Although I was fond of HD DVD, now that the war is history, I must admit that I hope announced HD DVD titles that are a few months down the road, (Sweeney Todd and There Will Be Blood) are actually issued in the blu format instead.

It strikes me that it would make financial sense for Paramount to do this, as the smaller HD DVD camp is now less likely to pony up for new releases when the format is done.

#11 of 20 Matt Butler

Matt Butler

Screenwriter

• 1,921 posts

Posted February 20 2008 - 02:32 AM

Where is the announcement from Paramount?!

I thought it would be yesterday along with Toshiba and Universal
My Blu Rays
http://www.blu-ray.c...ol...=Dj Matt B

Favorite films of all time in no order
1. Zodiac 2. Dawn of the Dead (1978) 3. The Good The Bad and The Ugly 4. Blade Runner 5. The Warriors 6. Dark Knight 7. The Godfather  8. Bullitt 9. Experiment in Terror 10. Raiders of the Lost...

#12 of 20 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,609 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted February 20 2008 - 03:02 AM

You would think Paramount would have been front and center, announcing release dates for some of the supposedly pressed discs from last year (ie. Blades of Glory, Top Gun, Transformers). Oh well...it makes for an interesting day at work.

#13 of 20 EricKA

EricKA

Stunt Coordinator

• 84 posts

Posted February 20 2008 - 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_V
You would think Paramount would have been front and center, announcing release dates for some of the supposedly pressed discs from last year (ie. Blades of Glory, Top Gun, Transformers). Oh well...it makes for an interesting day at work.

I would like to think the reason for their delay in an announcement is so they can announce an official street date for Transformers at the same time with their return to blu. Posted Image They know people want that title.

In addition to what was already pressed, I certainly hope they also announce release dates soon of what they had advertised in their blu-ray disc insert ads, such as Saturday Night Fever and Zodiac. I want those very badly!Posted Image

#14 of 20 Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins

Screenwriter

• 1,762 posts

Posted February 20 2008 - 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_V
I think Blades Of Glory was the only one actually pressed, as a few copies did leak out. The others were supposedly authored and ready to be pressed. Time will tell.

#15 of 20 Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted February 20 2008 - 05:56 AM

Nothing in this format war has been simple, and I am deathly afraid of Paramount going download exclusive or some rubish at this point.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#16 of 20 Craig Beam

Craig Beam

Screenwriter

• 1,678 posts

Posted February 20 2008 - 07:23 AM

Welcome into the Blu pool, Universal! Let me remind you that Alfred Hitchcock's Vertigo celebrates its 50th anniversary this year, so this would be a PERFECT choice for Blu-ray. Posted Image

#17 of 20 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,460 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted February 20 2008 - 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Arnette
...and I am deathly afraid of Paramount going download exclusive or some rubish at this point.
There's no chance of that happening for years.

#18 of 20 Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted February 20 2008 - 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR
There's no chance of that happening for years.

The rational part of me know this. Hey, at least I qualified my remarks as plain, old, straight-up fear. Posted Image

By the way, on the topic of Paramount, Hollywood insider Penton-Man had the following to say over on blu-ray.com:

Quote:
For all the recent questions concerning a certain toPic, suffice to say that when money has changed hands and was in the pipeline to change hands at regular intervals, it takes a little while for lawyers to sort out who it belongs to now, "I want my money back", "I aint giving you no money back", etc.

This isn't very surprising, if true.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#19 of 20 DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted February 20 2008 - 08:50 AM

Penton has been 100% correct about everything for the past 2 years. He even knew that Warner was going to announce BD exclusivity, and the day that they were going to do it, before it happened (craftily saving his 1000th post for the day of the Warner announcement just for the occasion). That certainly says something for his reliability, so I'd trust him.

Still, one would think that paramount working out the money thing wouldn't necessarily stop them from announcing blu support in a general way ala Universal. I guess I have to be patient! Posted Image

#20 of 20 DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted February 21 2008 - 03:11 AM

It's official, Paramount is on-board:

Paramount seals Blu-ray sweep

"All six major Hollywood studios are now in the Blu-ray Disc camp, a day after Toshiba has pulled the plug on HD DVD and Blu-ray became effectively the only next-gen game in town.

Paramount Home Entertainment quietly came onboard via a statement sent exclusively to The Hollywood Reporter on Wednesday: "We are pleased that the industry is moving to a single high-definition format, as we believe it is in the best interest of the consumer," the statement reads. "As we look to (begin) releasing our titles on Blu-ray, we will monitor consumer adoption and determine our release plans accordingly."

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow