Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Someone missed the memo.... There Will Be Blood HD-DVD 4/8/08 from Paramount

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,531 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted February 19 2008 - 03:29 AM

Details

Personally, I can't see this one making it to retail before getting canceled, but it is formally announced for now.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,956 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted February 19 2008 - 03:42 AM

Ditto. When I saw and Sweeney Todd announced this morning, I had to scratch my head. Someone wasn't paying attention to any kind of news reports coming out of Tokyo all weekend. (However, both are still on my list to get. TWBB is an exceptional movie.)

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,182 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted February 19 2008 - 03:45 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if these wind up getting released "purple" on those dates. Paramount/Dreamworks doesn't have the master issues with these newer titles that Uni had with some of its catalogue titles. It's also likely that the HDDs are already pressed.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,531 posts

Posted February 19 2008 - 03:49 AM

They wouldn't be pressed six weeks out. That usually occurs about 3 weeks out.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   Marc Colella

Marc Colella

Screenwriter

• 2,607 posts

Posted February 19 2008 - 03:57 AM

They'll definitely be changed over to BD.

There Will Be Blood... It Will Be Mine. Posted Image

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   BrianShort

BrianShort

Supporting Actor

• 934 posts

Posted February 19 2008 - 04:42 AM

I drink your milkshake, Blu-ray. I drink it up!

(Ok, I have no idea what this line really means, as I haven't seen TWBB yet, but it sounded good!)

And TWBB will be mine as well Posted Image

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,531 posts

Posted February 19 2008 - 04:46 AM

It still worked Brian. Posted Image

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted February 19 2008 - 05:01 AM

Yeah, at least one site (of unknown reliability, I should point out) has already said that both Para and Uni have been canceling titles, including the "ST: TOS Season 2" set which Bill Hunt mentioned this morning, as well as "Charlie Wilson's War" and "Cloverfield".
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
--Michael Scott, The Office

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,531 posts

Posted February 19 2008 - 05:09 AM

Jesse, would you mind linking to that site? Even if unreliable, I'd like to read it. Posted Image

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted February 19 2008 - 05:58 AM

Blu-News
or
Blu-News - Home

Same content and owner(s). BTW, they used to be pro-HD DVD, at least on forums. They're iffy (IMO) because of some "insider" data the owner mentioned to make HD DVD (at first, then Blu-ray much later) look better. Much of it turned out to be off-base.
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
--Michael Scott, The Office

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,531 posts

Posted February 19 2008 - 06:12 AM

Thanks. Posted Image

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationWest Hollywood, CA

Posted February 19 2008 - 02:05 PM

Actually to be correct to the movie: "I drink your milkshake HD-DVD - I drink it up!"
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users