What's new

TV Movie's I would love to see on DVD eventually (1 Viewer)

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nikki Fineing
Not sure about all the companies they owned by (correct me if am wrong), but TV movies I would love to see eventually on DVD include:

ABC Family
Beautiful Girl (2003) Featuring Fran Drescher
Christmas in Boston (2005) Featuring Lindy Booth
Hello Sister, Goodbye Life (2006) Featuring Lacey Chabert
I Want to Marry Ryan Banks (2004) Featuring Emma Caulfield
Just a Phase (2006) Featuring Carly McKillip
Just a Walk in the Park (2002) Featuring George Eads
Love Rules! (2004) Featuring Maggie Lawson
Mom's on Strike (2002) featuring Spencer Breslin
The One (2003) Featuring Meredith Monroe
Snow (2004) Featuring Ashley Williams
Snowglobe (2007) Featuring Christina Milian
This Time Around (2003) Featuring Carly Pope

Alberta Film Entertainment
Holiday in Handcuffs (2007) Featuring Mario Lopez
Identity Theft: The Michelle Brown Story (2004) Featuring Kimberly Williams

Blueprint Entertainment
Nobody (2007) Featuring Ryan Belleville

CTV
Deadly Appearances (2000) featuring Wendy Crewson
Eight Days to Live (2006) featuring Kelly Rowan
Love and Murder (2000) featuring Wendy Crewson

Lions Gate Films
Brave New Girl (2004) Featuring Virginia Madsen

Muse Entertainment Enterprises/Muse International Distribution
Chasing Cain: Face (2002) Featuring Peter Outerbridge
The Investigation (2002) Featuring Lochlyn Munro
Recipe for a Perfect Christmas (2005) Featuring Carly Pope

Patricia Clifford Productions
Pop Rocks (2004) Featuring Gary Cole

Regent Pictures/Regent Entertainment
Christmas Caper (2007) featuring Conrad Coates
First Landing (2007) Featuring Josh Adamson

Shaftesbury Films
Booky and the Secret Santa (2007) featuring Rachel Marcus
Hemingway vs. Callaghan (2003) Featuring Carly Pope
In God's Country (2007) Featuring Lynda Boyd
In the Dark (2003) featuring Kathleen Robertson
Me and Luke (2006) featuring Emma Taylor-Isherwood
The Robber Bride (2007) featuring Wendy Crewson
Scar Tissue (2002) featuring Catherine Burdon
She Drives Me Crazy (2007) featuring Melinda Clarke
Terry (2005) Featuring Skye Regan

Showtime Networks

A Cooler Climate (1999) Featuring Carly Pope

Stephanie Epstein Productions
Searching for David's Heart (2004) featuring Ricky Ullman

Touchstone Television
Celeste in the City (2004) Featuring Nicholas Brendan
Romy and Michele: In the Beginning (2005) Featuring Katherine Heigl

Universal Pictures
Double Bill (2003) AKA A Tale Of Two Wives Featuring Carly Pope

Von Zerneck Sertner Films
Relative Chaos (2006) Featuring Christopher Gorham

Walt Disney Studios/Walt Disney Pictures
Fallen (2006) featuring David Orth
Pizza My Heart (2005) Featuring Shiri Appleby

Unknown
Principal Takes a Holiday (1998) Featuring Carly Pope
there are others but don't have time to list them all. Too much uni work to do

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
Child of Glass ('78)

This was a Disney production about a boy who continues to see a ghost of a Creole girl and he has to help her solve a riddle...otherwise he might be haunted for the rest of his life. It starred Barbara Barrie, Anthony Zerbe, Steve Shaw, Olivia Barash and Denise Nickerson (Violet from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory). I loved this as a kid and caught it on TV once, about 10 years ago, and still enjoyed it.

vincefan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Amy
Hi. There are three tv movies I would love to see released on dvd. 1. Saga of Sonora; 2. The Courage and The Passion; 3. Dial Hot Line (the pilot film for the tv series Matt Lincoln). All three tv movies star Vince Edwards.

Elena S

Supporting Actor
I'd like the ABC late night movies from the 70s, because you never see those anymore. If I wanted any from this decade I could put them on DVD myself.

LCD22

Screenwriter
"The Legend of Sleepy Hollow", which was originally broadcasted on NBC in 1980 and starred Jeff Goldblum as Ichabod Crane. This is long-overdue for a DVD release, and is IMO the definitive adaptation of Washington Irving's classic novel. It also needs to be remastered. I've contacted at least one independent company who replied back and I hope they're able to secure the rights to release this childhood favorite of mine.

And I'm still waiting (though impatiently) on a separate release for the two "MacGyver" TV movies from CBS/Paramount. They've been getting enough angry phone calls about it.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
I would love to see some sixties and seventies tv-movies that were shown only once or twice (in the pre-VCR) level to come out. Teleflicks like ABC's "Murder Can Hurt You," which spoofed other tv detectives and was narrated by Don Adams. Barbara Eden in "A Howling in the Woods" which reteamed her up with I Dream of Jennie co-star, Larry Hagman.

And yes, I saw "Child of Glass" as the above poster mentioned. It was beautifully sad, especially when the ghost girl temporarily became "real" so she could dance with the film's protagonist.

Why don't the companies look at their inventory a bit more.

James Smith

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
These certainly aren't restored in any way, shape or form, but if anyone's looking for an instant collection of mostly 1970s era made-for-TV movies, Mill Creek has a large collection; details here:

Mill Creek Details Page

Ian_H

Supporting Actor
I want the Hal Needham "Duel" rip-off Death Car on the Freeway and the Sturgeon classic Killdozer.

Roni F

Stunt Coordinator
The two TV movies I most want to own on DVD are:

What Makes a Family (originally aired on Lifetime)

Common Ground (originally aired on Showtime; was released on VHS a few years ago but still no DVD release)

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I saw Killdozer at the Drive-in when i was about 10. Its a made for TV film? That was the one and only time i ever saw it, 35 years ago or so.
I would like to see some Gene Roddenberry unsold TV movie pilots: Genesis II, Earth II, and of course The Questor Tapes!

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay

Yes! I remember watching them on PBS in the late 80s and haven't seen them since. I'm rather surprised they haven't been released on DVD, since Star Trek fans would likely buy them. John Saxon was very cool in one of those pilots!

Other telefilms:

Little Criminals (1995) Gritty Canadian telefilm about deliquent teens (Canadian telefilms aren't censored like their American counterparts).

Platinum (1997) A Bruce McDonald (Hard Core Logo)telefilm.

White Lies (1998) A disturbing tale of neo-nazism starring my favourite actress, Sarah Polley.

The Wild Wild West Revisted (1979) and More Wild Wild West (1980) Hopefully Paramount will release them after S4.

StevePA

Stunt Coordinator
"A Short Walk To Daylight" (1972)-ABC-massive earthquake hits New York City, trapping people in the subway...James Brolin was the lead...would love to get this!!

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nikki Fineing

would love that too collect movies and TV shows that feature natural disasters like Volcanos, earthquakes, avalanches, etc

Mary_P

Second Unit
More likely an ABC Movie of the Week, which ran in primetime on Tuesday nights for several years. I'd love to get a bunch of those from the late 60s/early 70s.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Some ABC Movie of the Weeks that I still remember (mostly horror and science fiction) and would like to see again:

"Tribes" (Darren McGavin, Jan-Michale Vincent - drill sargeant/hippie)
"How Awful About Allan" (Anthony Perkins - horror)
"The Over the Hill Gang" (Pat O'Brian, Fred Astaire, Walter Brennan, Chill Wills, Edgar Buchanan, Andy Devine - western)
"The Old Man Who Cried Wolf" (Edward G. Robinson - thriller)
"The House that Would Not Die" (Barbara Stanwyck - ghost story)
"The Man Who Wanted to Live Forever" (Burl Ives, Stuart Whitman, Sandy Dennis - sci-fi)
"Dr. Cook's Garden" (Bing Crosby - Bing as killer!)
"Weekend of Terror" (Carol Lynley, Lois Nettleton - nun thriller!)
"Assault on the Wayne" (Leonard Nimoy - sub movie)
"Night Slaves" (James Franciscus - sci-fi thriller)
"Run, Simon, Run" (Burt Reynolds as Apache!)
"The Challenge" (Darren McGavin - survivor story)
"The Immortal" (pilot for series with Christopher George)
"Seven in Darkness" (Milton Berle in drama of blind plane crash survivors)
"Ballad of Andy Crocker" (Lee Majors as Nam vet on motorcyle, with Joey Heatherton)
"The Love War" (Lloyd Bridges, Angie Dickenson in sci-fi thriller battle between two planets)
"Daugher of the Mind" (Don Murray, Ray Milland - seances and ghost hunters)
"Carter's Army" (Richard Pryor in army drama!)

Full disclosure: Actually I didn't remember all of these off-hand (except Daughter of the Mind) - I found the TV Guide loglines in an old scrapbook I had, and these instantly came to mind again as some of my favorites.

Bring 'em on somebody. Great stuff. Great casts. Good stories. Where are they?

Professor_Echo

Stunt Coordinator
In the early to mid-70's ABC ruled the networks with original made for television movies. On Tuesday nights they had THE ABC MOVIE OF THE WEEK and then later on Saturday nights came THE ABC MOVIE OF THE WEEKEND. They coined the phrase MOVIE OF THE WEEK which is still used today to describe a tv movie.

It would be great, but probably impossible, for season sets to come out on these movies. The sheer variety of genres, stories, cast and, in most cases, genuinely quality productions would be amazing to see again. The trouble in releasing these would be, as usual, rights issues given that different studios produced the films and would still own the copyrights in most cases. Unlike a regular series, THE MOVIE OF THE WEEK on ABC was not the product of a single entity, though it was treated as a sort of loose anthology series, almost an echo of the live dramas of the golden age.

Many stars who worked in films that aired on THE MOVIE OF THE WEEK/WEEKEND were allowed and even encouraged to be cast against type, which led to a lot of experimentation in casting and thematic material. That's how Bing Crosby wound up playing a killer in DR. COOK'S GARDEN, his last acting role. Or Dick Van Dyke as a sad alcoholic in THE MORNING AFTER or Andy Griffith as a sadist in PRAY FOR THE WILDCATS or Hal Holbrook as a homosexual in the then controversial THAT CERTAIN SUMMER. THE ABC MOVIE OF THE WEEK was also used as a showcase for pilots such as THE NIGHT STALKER, THE IMMORTAL and KUNG-FU. Fledgling directors like Steven Spielberg helmed classic entries like DUEL and vintage actors and actresses like Gene Tierney, Olivia De Havilland, Henry Fonda, Douglas Fairbanks Jr. and Rosalind Russell (in her last acting role) were given an opportunity to shine again.

Not everything was great, of course, but the joy in watching week after week was never knowing quite what to expect and whether it failed or succeeded, there was always a new film only a week away.

What killed THE ABC MOVIE OF THE WEEK was essentially the Mini-Series in the mid-late-70's, extended tv productions, limited in length, starting with QB VII, RICH MAN, POOR MAN and then most famously, ROOTS. Suddenly a different 70 minute mini-movie every week or bi-weekly no longer had the cache it once did. Mini-Series started popping up all over the networks and from that point on tv movies, though often still referred to as the "movie of the week," began to be two hour affairs and were only scheduled intermittently throughout the year.

A few public domain titles from the old ABC MOVIE OF THE WEEK ARE available on cheap DVDs (e.g. THE OVER THE HILL GANG and its sequel THE OVER THE HILL GANG RIDES AGAIN) and a few Fox productions have aired on the FOX MOVIE CHANNEL (DAUGHTER OF THE MIND, WHEN MICHAEL CALLS, etc.), but the majority of them seem to be lost to all but memory. There are so many I would love to see again, but I can't imagine how the tangled copyrights and the varying quality of the source material could ever be sorted out. Unlike a vintage tv series from the late 60's to mid-70's early tv movies from that period were probably not preserved all too carefully unless they were breakout titles like BRIAN'S SONG, NIGHT STALKER, etc. Many of the films were rerun staples in the 80's on local independent tv channels and because they only ran 70 minutes they were probably often shown uncut in 90 minute time slots, so there may be some home videotape copies still around. But as for a major studio ever releasing most of them on DVD, it's unlikely. More's the pity.

Does anyone know if there is a master list somewhere of all the movies that aired on the ABC MOVIE OF THE WEEK?

StevePA

Stunt Coordinator
"A Short Walk To Daylight" was a prime time ABC TV movie (what day was it on....what can I say....I was six at the time:laugh:

I do know it was released overseas as "The Night The Earth Shook," but I'm not sure in what countries...?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks