Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Thinking of making the jump to Blu Ray but have question

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 OFFLINE   Andy_Bu

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor

• 929 posts

Posted February 18 2008 - 06:38 AM

Today from my SD-DVD player I hook my component cables directly from the DVD player to the TV and an optical audio cable from the DVD player to the receiver. My receiver does not support HDMI but my TV does. Will I be able to hook HDMI from Blu Ray to TV and another audio out from Blu Ray to receiver or will that cause lip sync problems?

#2 of 18 OFFLINE   Sanjay Gupta

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor

• 754 posts

Posted February 18 2008 - 07:10 AM

You should have no problems doing what you plan, i.e. HDMI from Blu-Ray to TV and alternate audio out from Blu-Ray to receiver.
Sanjay
Member since July - August 1997

#3 of 18 OFFLINE   Andy_Bu

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor

• 929 posts

Posted February 18 2008 - 08:24 AM

awesome! I was looking into this Blu Ray player. It looks like it should output audio on HDMI and the optical at the same time. I just hope there is no lip sync issues.

Sony Blu Ray Player

#4 of 18 OFFLINE   Dan Lassiter

Dan Lassiter

Stunt Coordinator

• 98 posts

Posted February 18 2008 - 10:00 AM

I've just recently purchased a Blu-ray player and my hook up is the same as yours because I don't have a receiver with HDMI inputs. So I run the HDMI cable right into the TV and the sound goes via optical cable to my receiver. No real problems that I notice. From what I've been told, you want to try and keep the cables all around the same length though.
Dan

"I'm a very good man, I'm just a very bad wizard."

#5 of 18 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,296 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted February 18 2008 - 12:27 PM

Yes, you don't want your cables to be any longer than they absolutely have to be, as signals will degrade over longer lengths of cable, particularly if they're excessively long and wind up being coiled.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#6 of 18 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 19,054 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted February 18 2008 - 03:16 PM

I recommend a PS3 over a BD deck. YMMV tho.

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

HTF Rules

Classified Sales Rules

UV Sales New Clarifications

#7 of 18 OFFLINE   MikeMeehan

MikeMeehan

Stunt Coordinator

• 51 posts

Posted February 18 2008 - 03:45 PM

[quote=Andy_Bu]awesome! I was looking into this Blu Ray player. It looks like it should output audio on HDMI and the optical at the same time. I just hope there is no lip sync issues.

The PS3 don't output audio on HDMI and optical at the same time.This is high on the wishlist for future upgrades.

#8 of 18 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 19,054 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted February 19 2008 - 02:13 AM

Why would you want that?

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

HTF Rules

Classified Sales Rules

UV Sales New Clarifications

#9 of 18 OFFLINE   Andy_Bu

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor

• 929 posts

Posted February 19 2008 - 02:15 AM

see the first post in the thread.

#10 of 18 OFFLINE   Andy_Bu

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor

• 929 posts

Posted February 19 2008 - 02:16 AM

Thanks Dan. That is a good hint about keeping the cables the same length. Can I ask which Blu Ray player you purchased?

#11 of 18 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,531 posts

Posted February 19 2008 - 05:55 AM

The "cables should be the same length" BS is a old salesman's trick to sell longer cables. An electric signal travels at close to the speed of light. The difference between signal time in the distances we are talking about is not only not audible/visible, it's barely measurable outside of an advanced physics lab.

#12 of 18 OFFLINE   Gary Seven

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah

• 1,514 posts
  • LocationLake Worth, Florida

Posted February 19 2008 - 08:25 AM

[quote=MikeMeehan]

I'm running HDMI direct to the TV and optical to the receiver using a PS3. No problems whatsover.

Now I don't think you can get BOTH at the same time meaning audio going through HDMI AND optical, but as Sam asked... why would you want to?

But the PS3 will do what the OP asked.

#13 of 18 OFFLINE   Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor

• 789 posts

Posted February 19 2008 - 11:11 AM

My comment would be to get a player with the final Java 1.1 profile so you can enjoy future picture-in-picture special features. I think that rules out the player you linked to. The PS3 is 1.1, as is the Panasonic DMP-BD30K, which is the player I have. You can find the Panasonic pretty easily for $399 to $425.

#14 of 18 OFFLINE   Andy_Bu

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor

• 929 posts

Posted February 20 2008 - 03:54 AM

[quote=Gary Seven]

Oh this is awesome! I got confused when the poster mentioned that they would not happen simultaneously but you are right I don't need that.

Is there a special setting in the PS3 that allows me to choose which output the audio goes to?

#15 of 18 OFFLINE   Gary Seven

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah

• 1,514 posts
  • LocationLake Worth, Florida

Posted February 20 2008 - 05:54 AM

There is a extensive menu system that allows you to customize much of the PS3. Audio is one of them. You will specify if the sound is to come from HDMI or optical. The documentation explains everything so RTFM... read the manual. Posted Image

#16 of 18 OFFLINE   Dave>h

Dave>h

Second Unit

• 371 posts

Posted February 21 2008 - 08:58 AM

Maybe off topic but if you go HDMI to TV and optical to reciever, aren't you limiting the sound options to dolby digital? That is, the advance audio codec (dolby true HD, PCM 5.1, DTS Master) cannot be transmitted via optical cable. My understanding is that blu ray players will only output dolby digital or pcm 2.0 via optical and nothing more. Is that correct? If so, you get an excellent picture with average sound. Seems to me you shuld get both since you paid for both. Dave

#17 of 18 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,888 posts

Posted February 21 2008 - 02:33 PM

Well, you typically get a 1.5Mbps DTS core if the title has a DTS-HD/MA track. And when it's just DD 5.1, it's usually 640Kbps DD, which is modestly better than what you normally get from DVD -- I find the modest improvement noticeable enough (many times) and appreciated while I wait to upgrade my audio processing to handle the uncompressed PCM that comes from the PS3's HDMI output -- it doesn't actually pass raw bitstream for Dolby True-HD and DTS-HD/MA. _Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (Apostle Paul)

#18 of 18 OFFLINE   Andy_Bu

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor

• 929 posts

Posted February 22 2008 - 06:14 AM

Not a big issue for me. There is no way my ears could ever tell the difference between DTS and dolby true HD. My eyes are good but my ears suck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users