What's new

Desperate Journey - 1942 Errol Flynn (1 Viewer)

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison
Anyone else with a bit of love for this film? I certainly hope there is a chance of seeing this wonderful movie on DVD? I have a copy on a dodgey looking VHS and would love to see it get some attention. It is a wonderful WW2 film, and has such an incredible cast.

And who can forget those final words "And now for Australia and a crack at those Japs!"

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
I always loved that film with its "Errol Flynn and friends" can conquer anything bravado. Lots of humor too. That's been on my wish list for years

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I was and am hoping Warners puts out the remaining Flynn war-time films in a DVD set. DESPERATE JOURNEY is a fun rover-boys type adventure film. So a perfect set would be:
DESPERATE JOURNEY
NORTHERN PURSUIT
UNCERTAIN GLORY
EGE OF DARKNESS
I am hoping the last western Flynn set sold well enough to warrant these films being restored and released.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I hope Warner releases a boxset of these Flynn films, but they might end up in Warner Archives.

Crawdaddy

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford

I hope Warner releases a boxset of these Flynn films, but they might end up in Warner Archives.

Crawdaddy
I certainly hope Warner doesn't release Errol Flynn films to the Archives. As I've typed in a different thread, I'm more than willing to pay/get gifted for the films mentioned above in a boxset. It highly pisses me off that an Errol Flynn film would even be considered for the Archives and not a John Wayne film. Wait, most of Waynes films are already on DVD and alot of them have actors whom have hardly any of their own filmography on DVD. I'm speaking/typing of John Garfield, Stewart Granger and especially Robert Montgomery as examples.
Oh, Four's a Crowd and Scaramouche are on Warner Archives? Shame Warner Bros. There ought to be a vote every now and then to see for which group of titles would receive a PROPER stamped DVD release. Although I am considering purchasing Doc Savage: Man of Bronze from the Archives...
This Warner Archives thing has me wary of the rest of Errol's filmography Warners has the rights to. I'd rather have boxsets, end of story. Hell, just put me in charge of Errol Flynn titles.

Desperate Journey
Northern Pursuit
Uncertain Glory
Edge of Darkness

As said the titles above would make for a great World War II boxset. AND above all else Warners forgot to put Silver River in the Western Collection set.

Edited by Ray_R - 7/17/2009 at 01:40 am GMT

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Posted by Ray_R: I'm speaking/typing of John Garfield, Stewart Granger and especially Robert Montgomery as examples.
Oh, Four's a Crowd and Scaramouche are on Warner Archives? Shame Warner Bros.

Because you referred to Stewart Granger, I assume you are referring to his version of Scaramouche? Granger's version is not in the archives. It was given a respectable DVD release.

The one in the archives is a silent version. I really don't think a wide release of the silent version on DVD would have sold a lot of copies. I do agree that more Granger should be released on DVD, though.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Originally Posted by David_B_K /forum/thread/269120/desperate-journey-1942-errol-flynn#post_3586168

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Posted by Ray_R: Even when I read The Adventures of Robin Hood was going to be released onto HDDVD, I bought it in store. But I am hesitant about purchasing the Blu-ray since it might only be a BD-25 instead of a BD-50. Yes I'm that adamant about this.

I'd go ahead and get it. I doubt the Blu is any different than the HD DVD. Considering that is is an Academy flat ratio film, and does not have large bitrate high resolution audio, it should not need more disc space. Or you could do what I did. It's on my Red2Blu trade in list with Warner.

Blake Comeaux

Stunt Coordinator
In Barrie Maxwell's Classic Coming Attractions (link below) posted today on the bits he mentions that Desperate Journey and Edge of Darkness are being restored and remastered for a fourth Flynn set next year. We also finally get the answers as to why Silver River and Santa Fe Trail were not included in the westerns collection but very well may be in the next set. It's all part of a larger article about Flynn's career and filmography available on DVD. This should put alot of our minds at ease and I for one will be purchasing the box set in 2010!

www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/barriemaxwell/maxwell072209.html

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
Great news. Will be a must have in 2010. Just read the news at the Bits and I'm really happy.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Originally Posted by Blake Comeaux ">[/url]

In Barrie Maxwell's Classic Coming Attractions (link below) posted today on the bits he mentions that Desperate Journey and Edge of Darkness are being restored and remastered for a fourth Flynn set next year. We also finally get the answers as to why Silver River and Santa Fe Trail were not included in the westerns collection but very well may be in the next set. It's all part of a larger article about Flynn's career and filmography available on DVD. This should put alot of our minds at ease and I for one will be purchasing the box set in 2010!

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Originally Posted by John Hodson

Fantastic. I've been crossing my fingers for this.
Y'know I'd only read the Bits if it were an article centric to Flynn. Why doesn't he have a blog?
And what about the other two WWII films?
Warners should discontinue Four's a Crowd on the Archives and set up a comedy set. Maybe even some re-issues? I'd like a Warner Night at the Movies for The Prince and the Pauper and some others.
Shame about Santa Fe Trail and Silver River. Anyone know of any good "snooty" Frenchy French e-tailers? (Pity for those who aren't multi-region cabable.)
EDIT: I just saw The Western Collection for $31.?? at Warner shoppings. Do they have free shipping? It's $34.49 at Amazon. Deep Discount has been SLOW even on their 2-5 day shipping.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Originally Posted by ChrisPearson

Great news. Flynn deserves better than the Archive.
That's for damn sure. Four's a Crowd should be pulled from the archives and put in another set. Wonder why there isn't a set for him this year since it marks his centeniary? (sp)
I certainly hope the two other War films are thrown in there. But wait that'd be 4 films again. How about a complete overhaul for Objective, Burma! ? I'm not even sure if the current DVD has Warner Night at the Movies.
There should be another set(s) complimenting the Errol Flynn at War one. Yeah I just made that up. Could feature:

Four's a Crowd
That Forsyte Woman
Footsteps in the Dark (this movie seems like it has a great premise)
Another Dawn
Green Light
The Perfect Specimen
Never Say Goodbye
Cry Wolf

Errol Flynn at War would be:
Desperate Journey
Edge of Darkness
Northern Pursuit
Uncertain Glory
Objective, Burma! (rerelease with tons more features. As I said I should take a look at the DVD again.)

Hell, just keep releasing boxsets. I'd buy them or receive them as gifts. Soon as all of his films are on DVD, I'll be making custom THINpak covers and just have a huge box of them arranged by release date.
And of course my signature is still highly valid for all of his films. I'd even buy them on Blu-ray. I honestly don't give a fuck which ones I'd buy them anyway.

Charles H

Screenwriter
Don't forget MARU MARU and TOO MUCH, TOO SOON. I suspect that THE PERFECT SPECIMEN may have orreperable film damage. Has it ever been shown on TCM?

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Originally Posted by Charles H

Don't forget MARU MARU and TOO MUCH, TOO SOON. I suspect that THE PERFECT SPECIMEN may have orreperable film damage. Has it ever been shown on TCM?
I'm not sure but the following will be shown on TCM which aren't even on DVD: (Not sure if PST or EST)

That Forsyte Woman - September 29, 3:15PM

Escape Me Never - October 13, 10:00PM

Northern Pursuit - October 13-14, 12:00AM (Might be in the next set? Highly likely.)

Danny Burk

Second Unit
PERFECT SPECIMEN isn't shown because of rights problems. Years ago I saw a beautiful 16mm print, which was available for rental from Films, Inc. at that time.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
No wonder. I've been looking for tcm to show Perfect Specimen for years. I've requested it many times. Bummer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks