What's new

So what is a good OTA HD STB these days? (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Since having both HD DVD and BluRay has kept my high def diet well fed, I havent much regretted not having digital cable, satellite or OTA. A few times recently I've wanted to watch TV on the big screen tho and don't have any choices... Is anyone making a good, inexpensive OTA STB receiver any more? Which ones should I look at and what's a good price?

Sam

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
You could try to find a used DirecTV or Dish HD receiver that has the OTA HD tuner in it. That works. I have a Unity Motion unit that does OTA as well as C/Ku satellite.

Of course...if you decide you want a subscription service...there is always FiOS! ;)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
No idea nowadays, but I've been using a refurbed 2nd gen(?) Sammy I bought off eBay for the last 4 years. I think I got it for ~$150 back then -- it was ~$350 new at the time. I might be in the market for one again soon since that Sammy seems to be flaking out a bit lately. Hopefully, it holds out just fine until I upgrade the display a year or so from now (and probably get something w/ the HD tuner built in).

I should probably note that I leave that Sammy on 24/7. Not sure if that shortens its life or not. I didn't think it would, but 4 years ain't that long...

_Man_

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
I've been using a Samsung DTB-H260F with my projector for a little less than two years now and have really like it. I previously had a Dish 6000 w/ OTA module and it really couldn't hold a candle to the OTA reception quality of the Samsung.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
HD Tivo is down to $299 now, has dual ota tuners and built in dvr. Sears has 'em.

BrandonH

Stunt Coordinator

Patrick.C

Second Unit
I'm still using one of my old Voom receivers. I still miss Voom :frowning: It was nice while it lasted.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Been thinking about the Tivo HD. When I first looked at them there were a few issues:

-The added cost of getting CableCards from my provider and paying more per month for HD service. I'm led to believe if I complain to my cable company or tell them I'm considering moving to Fios (which is in my town but not my CO grrrr) then they may agree to give me HD service for the price of standard basic. If thats the case thats a no brainer, and I would get to choose between their STB and buying my own. When I last used their HD service their HD DVR was ok but no TIVO quality, no idea what they have now at Comcast Eatontown, will have to look into it.

- When I last looked at Tivo HD they werent allowing you to use the external storage lines, I see thats fixed now, as is Tivo To Go, which I'm not familiar with. Can I make Tivo To go clips for my Ipod Touch or PSP?

- Theres still a big ass monthly fee for Tivo right? That would be an impetus to stay with the cable company for me.

I really dislike Comcast and cant wait to move to FIOS, but it could be 18 months till this side of town is served. If I can get comcast to agree to give me HD at standard price, that is truly a no brainer as I said, will have to call them.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Also, struck out on Craigs list having any HD receivers but I see theres a bunch on ebay as cheap as $20 with $20 shipping... Will see what Comcast has to say first...

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
If you pay in advance you can knock that monthly fee down a good bit. I believe it's about $8 a month if you pay for 3 years up front. I found the box to be so much better than the FIOS PVR that it really is worth it in my opinion. Plus you can swap out the internal drive for more storage.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hey, Sam.

What did you end up doing for OTA reception?

Looks like I need to get a new receiver myself. Seems my 4-yo-plus refurbed Sammy finally bit the dust. If I can't find a cheap, solid solution, I may just bite the bullet and upgrade my 1080i RPTV now, instead of waiting another year or so. Of course, it would still be good to have a cheap separate tuner for the bedroom (for when they finally turn off the analog signal) when I upgrade the main TV later...

_Man_

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
ATSC tuners have improved sensitivity-wise in recent years, so an older model might be a poor choice, in spite of the good reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks