Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

So what is a good OTA HD STB these days?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,410 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted February 15 2008 - 11:51 AM

Since having both HD DVD and BluRay has kept my high def diet well fed, I havent much regretted not having digital cable, satellite or OTA. A few times recently I've wanted to watch TV on the big screen tho and don't have any choices... Is anyone making a good, inexpensive OTA STB receiver any more? Which ones should I look at and what's a good price?

Sam

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   Scooter

Scooter

Screenwriter

• 1,511 posts
  • LocationDFW Area Texas

Posted February 15 2008 - 01:22 PM

You could try to find a used DirecTV or Dish HD receiver that has the OTA HD tuner in it. That works. I have a Unity Motion unit that does OTA as well as C/Ku satellite.

Of course...if you decide you want a subscription service...there is always FiOS! Posted Image

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,874 posts

Posted February 15 2008 - 01:36 PM

No idea nowadays, but I've been using a refurbed 2nd gen(?) Sammy I bought off eBay for the last 4 years. I think I got it for ~$150 back then -- it was ~$350 new at the time. I might be in the market for one again soon since that Sammy seems to be flaking out a bit lately. Hopefully, it holds out just fine until I upgrade the display a year or so from now (and probably get something w/ the HD tuner built in).

I should probably note that I leave that Sammy on 24/7. Not sure if that shortens its life or not. I didn't think it would, but 4 years ain't that long...

_Man_
Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,527 posts

Posted February 15 2008 - 03:13 PM

I've been using a Samsung DTB-H260F with my projector for a little less than two years now and have really like it. I previously had a Dish 6000 w/ OTA module and it really couldn't hold a candle to the OTA reception quality of the Samsung.
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,410 posts

Posted February 16 2008 - 03:37 AM

thanks will look into all the above!

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer

Producer

• 3,759 posts

Posted February 16 2008 - 08:47 AM

HD Tivo is down to $299 now, has dual ota tuners and built in dvr. Sears has 'em.
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   BrandonH

BrandonH

Stunt Coordinator

• 78 posts

Posted February 16 2008 - 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Posten
Since having both HD DVD and BluRay has kept my high def diet well fed, I havent much regretted not having digital cable, satellite or OTA. A few times recently I've wanted to watch TV on the big screen tho and don't have any choices... Is anyone making a good, inexpensive OTA STB receiver any more? Which ones should I look at and what's a good price?

Sam

Well If your just looking at OTA ATSC here is one.
Amazon.com: Samsung DTBH260F HDTV Terrestrial Receiver: Electronics

I only use OTA too and my set has an ATSC built in but the problem is that there is no TV Guide and that only thing I don't like about it so I am going to wait for the EchoStar TR-50: HD DVR unit due out this summer.
Video about it here: Video: EchoStar TR-50 DVR - CNET Reviews
Very interesting indeed for us OTA only people
though is is kind of ugly.

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   Patrick.C

Patrick.C

Second Unit

• 447 posts

Posted February 16 2008 - 09:13 AM

I'm still using one of my old Voom receivers. I still miss Voom Posted Image It was nice while it lasted.

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,410 posts

Posted February 16 2008 - 10:34 AM

Been thinking about the Tivo HD. When I first looked at them there were a few issues:

-The added cost of getting CableCards from my provider and paying more per month for HD service. I'm led to believe if I complain to my cable company or tell them I'm considering moving to Fios (which is in my town but not my CO grrrr) then they may agree to give me HD service for the price of standard basic. If thats the case thats a no brainer, and I would get to choose between their STB and buying my own. When I last used their HD service their HD DVR was ok but no TIVO quality, no idea what they have now at Comcast Eatontown, will have to look into it.

- When I last looked at Tivo HD they werent allowing you to use the external storage lines, I see thats fixed now, as is Tivo To Go, which I'm not familiar with. Can I make Tivo To go clips for my Ipod Touch or PSP?

- Theres still a big ass monthly fee for Tivo right? That would be an impetus to stay with the cable company for me.

I really dislike Comcast and cant wait to move to FIOS, but it could be 18 months till this side of town is served. If I can get comcast to agree to give me HD at standard price, that is truly a no brainer as I said, will have to call them.

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,410 posts

Posted February 16 2008 - 10:56 AM

Also, struck out on Craigs list having any HD receivers but I see theres a bunch on ebay as cheap as $20 with $20 shipping... Will see what Comcast has to say first...

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   MikeSerrano

MikeSerrano

Second Unit

• 350 posts

Posted February 17 2008 - 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Posten
Can I make Tivo To go clips for my Ipod Touch or PSP?

Yes. More information can be found here: www.tivo.com/desktop/
May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house.

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas

Screenwriter

• 2,044 posts

Posted February 17 2008 - 04:34 AM

Quote:
- Theres still a big ass monthly fee for Tivo right? That would be an impetus to stay with the cable company for me.
If you pay in advance you can knock that monthly fee down a good bit. I believe it's about $8 a month if you pay for 3 years up front. I found the box to be so much better than the FIOS PVR that it really is worth it in my opinion. Plus you can swap out the internal drive for more storage.

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,874 posts

Posted April 02 2008 - 01:38 PM

Hey, Sam.

What did you end up doing for OTA reception?

Looks like I need to get a new receiver myself. Seems my 4-yo-plus refurbed Sammy finally bit the dust. If I can't find a cheap, solid solution, I may just bite the bullet and upgrade my 1080i RPTV now, instead of waiting another year or so. Of course, it would still be good to have a cheap separate tuner for the bedroom (for when they finally turn off the analog signal) when I upgrade the main TV later...

_Man_
Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin

Producer

• 3,219 posts

Posted April 02 2008 - 02:55 PM

ATSC tuners have improved sensitivity-wise in recent years, so an older model might be a poor choice, in spite of the good reviews.

Forum Nav Content I Follow