-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

TV Shows - to return or not to return, that is the question (merged)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 of 29 Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted February 13 2008 - 12:33 PM

According to Slashfilm.com, there are a number of shows that have been marked as being dead, canceled or no possibly of return:

Sarah Connor Chronicles - listed as highly unlikely on returning to schedule
Jericho - will take a miracle to return
Carpoolers - dead
Davemen - dead
Friday Night Lights - unfortunately, this show is probably dead
Bionic Woman - very dead
Journeyman - dead
Cane - dead

There are many other listed with unknown listed next to the shows but you can get the list here:

Post Writers Strike Television Production Update | /Film

#2 of 29 todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,876 posts

Posted February 13 2008 - 12:46 PM

I am so pissed about Journeyman. At least they gave a bit of a closure. Too bad NBC didn't promote it. And they put it up against CBS powerhouse CSI.
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#3 of 29 Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted February 13 2008 - 12:49 PM

I know what your'e talking about. They're listing Jericho on that list as well. I'm pissed about Sarah Connor Chronicles. It's a pretty good series.

#4 of 29 todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,876 posts

Posted February 13 2008 - 01:02 PM

Sadly, the success of low cost reality/game shows has cut the leash of life on new shows dramatically. You can't blame the studios as much...its society. But, I find the whole Neilson rating system to be out of date and inaccurate.
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#5 of 29 Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted February 13 2008 - 01:12 PM

It seems like these studios are in the habit of dropping shows even if they have medium or soft ratings and never give these shows a chance to survive. The same thing happened with the Surface television series which was never given a proper ending.

#6 of 29 Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted February 13 2008 - 05:04 PM

Sarah Connor Chronicles won't be canceled, but it might not have a new season until Fall. Anyone who watched that big football game recently can see that Fox is very enthusiastic about that series.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#7 of 29 Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

• 1,687 posts

Posted February 13 2008 - 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_B
Sarah Connor Chronicles won't be canceled, but it might not have a new season until Fall. Anyone who watched that big football game recently can see that Fox is very enthusiastic about that series.

Indeed, its ratings are very good.

All this talk of various cancellations is vastly premature. The networks won't make their final decision until May, like always. Just because they haven't said anything about a show's fate 4 months early doesn't mean that show has been canceled. The only reason we're hearing a few things now is because of the odd situation with the strike.
"Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll hunt him... because he can take it... because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a DARK KNIGHT."

#8 of 29 Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted February 13 2008 - 05:19 PM

If you do a search on Google, which I did, I did discover that there are plenty of sites saying that the series is canceled and that everyone is under the impression that TTSCC is going to be canceled because of soft ratings.

#9 of 29 Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh

Screenwriter

• 2,968 posts

Posted February 13 2008 - 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd s
I am so pissed about Journeyman. At least they gave a bit of a closure. Too bad NBC didn't promote it.
They didn't promote it? There wasn't a show on NBC that didn't have a constant Journeyman bug, or animated lower third coming on every 15 minutes to promote the show leading up the debut. Honestly that actually turned me off of the program. But I do feel your pain about the show likely getting the ax.

The only one I'm worried about is Terminator.

It is getting harder and harder to even give a show a chance anymore as a viewer because 9 times out of 10 they are scrapped. Surface was the last straw for me. Posted Image

Someone in the comments of that link posted above made a good point about DVD's this fall. I wonder how these shorted season box sets are going to sell.

#10 of 29 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted February 13 2008 - 05:48 PM

Sarah Connor is listed as "on the bubble" here:

The TV Grid: When Is Your Favorite Show Coming Back? - Zap2it

#11 of 29 todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,876 posts

Posted February 14 2008 - 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Harbaugh
They didn't promote it? There wasn't a show on NBC that didn't have a constant Journeyman bug, or animated lower third coming on every 15 minutes to promote the show leading up the debut. Honestly that actually turned me off of the program. But I do feel your pain about the show likely getting the ax.

Maybe, the premier. But, after that it was hard to see an ad. I remember complaining about constantly seeing commercials promoting "Heroes followed by an all new episode of "Chuck". But, nary a mention of "Journeyman". Sometimes not even showing it on as a graphic after "Chuck". They should have tried giving it another slot.

#12 of 29 Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted February 14 2008 - 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Talmadge
If you do a search on Google, which I did, I did discover that there are plenty of sites saying that the series is canceled and that everyone is under the impression that TTSCC is going to be canceled because of soft ratings.

Idle speculation from antifans.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#13 of 29 Dave Gorman

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor

• 537 posts

Posted February 14 2008 - 04:23 AM

I too am very disappointed about Journeyman. Aside perhaps from Heroes S1, I was more into Journeyman than I have been any show in a long time -- and I was enjoying it more with every episode. (As for Heroes, unless it makes a drastic turnaround from the horrid Vol2, I don't care if I ever see it again.)
...And then there's the guy who saw the sign that said "Wet Floor", so he did.

#14 of 29 DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,465 posts

Posted February 14 2008 - 05:20 AM

Oh, I really hope The Sarah Conner Chronicles makes it. I have really enjoyed it. I was really surprised to see it on the list. None of the others surprised me. The only other one I was watching was Bionic Woman, but it won't bother me if it is gone (in my mind it was already gone)>

#15 of 29 Egbert Berfel

Egbert Berfel

Agent

• 49 posts

Posted February 14 2008 - 05:50 AM

Journeyman is currently my favorite show, and I too, am dissapointed.

#16 of 29 Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood

Producer

• 3,215 posts

Posted February 14 2008 - 06:16 AM

> They're listing Jericho on that list as well.

That makes no sense, considering that the first episode of season 2 was just on the other day.

#17 of 29 Marty M

Marty M

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted February 14 2008 - 07:25 AM

Here is a link I found at TV Guide that details the when the current shows will be returning or not returning with new episodes. I hope this isn't a duplication thread.

After the WGA Strike: When Will Your Favorite TV Shows Return? - Ausiello Report | TVGuide.com
Lawn Ranger Motto: You're only young once, but you can be always be immature.

#18 of 29 AlexSchwarz

AlexSchwarz

Stunt Coordinator

• 138 posts

Posted February 14 2008 - 08:24 AM

I heard "The Unit" may be in serious trouble also. Could this be true? That would be such a shame....

#19 of 29 ChrisCook

ChrisCook

Screenwriter

• 1,495 posts

Posted February 14 2008 - 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexSchwarz
I heard "The Unit" may be in serious trouble also. Could this be true? That would be such a shame....

It looks that way. All I've heard about "The Unit" is that CBS can't decide whether or not to bring it back. This is the same crap they pulled last year and it literally came down to an 11th hour renewal. They've also not ordered any more episodes this season. "Big Brother 9" is occupying the timeslot for the foreseeable future.

#20 of 29 Ken Chan

Ken Chan

Producer

• 3,302 posts

Posted February 14 2008 - 09:48 AM

Quote:
That makes no sense, considering that the first episode of season 2 was just on the other day
And it didn't do well. So unless the ratings progressively improve through its run, Jericho is a goner.

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow