Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF DVD REVIEW: Eagle vs Shark

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,646 posts

Posted February 13 2008 - 10:29 AM

Posted Image

EAGLE vs SHARK

Posted Image
Studio: Miramax (Home Video Release via Buena Vista)
Original Release: 2007
Length: 1 hour 28 mins
Genre: Comedy/Offbeat Romance

Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1 Anamorphic
Color/B&W: Color

Audio:

Release Date: January 8, 2008

Rating: 2 ½ /5 Posted Image Posted Image ½

Starring: Loren Horsley, Jemaine Clement

Story by: Loren Horsley and Taika Waititi
Written and Directed by: Taika Waititi

Eagle vs Shark is an offbeat New Zealand comedy about romance between two misfits. It has moments of charm throughout, but it also has many bits that wind up being less amusing than simply awkward or uncomfortable. The characters do learn a little before the end of the story, but it’s a very small amount. Much of the film consists of our characters enduring the meanness of others and inflicting some of their own. There are some laughs, but not enough to carry the viewer past the multiple awkward family gatherings or public humiliations. The performances by the leads are nice, and the film is careful not to dig too deep, so the 88 minutes go by fairly quickly. If you’re interested in this flavour of comedy (think Napoleon Dynamite), you may enjoy this film.

Posted ImageVIDEO QUALITY: 3 ½/5 Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image ½

Eagle vs Shark is presented in a vibrant 1.85:1 anamorphic transfer that is full of primary colors. There’s lots of reds, greens and blues in this film – almost enough to look like a live-action cartoon. And the details are good, particularly for such a low budget production – facial tones are correct, and close-ups show every whisker.

Posted ImageAUDIO QUALITY: 2 ½/5 Posted Image Posted Image ½

Eagle vs Shark is presented in an English 5.1 Dolby Digital mix (and a Spanish 5.1 mix as well) that mostly just delivers dialogue to the front channels. The mostly acoustic songs and score exist both in the front and rear channels, but there’s not much to the mix. This is effectively a decent stereo mix that makes the dialogue clear where it can, but I never really got a solid surround feeling from it.

Posted ImageSPECIAL FEATURES: 3/5 Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Eagle vs Shark comes equipped with a director commentary, a few deleted scenes, a few outtakes and a music video. It’s all pretty skimpy stuff, although the commentary does have its moments.

[pg]117423802[/pg]

#2 of 4 Robert Fielder

Robert Fielder

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted February 14 2008 - 05:10 AM

When I saw the title of this review I thought it was about another lame Sci-Fi channel original movie or something Posted Image

#3 of 4 Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,578 posts

Posted February 14 2008 - 07:26 AM

I loved this movie, and I'm glad I own it on dvd!

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#4 of 4 Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,197 posts

Posted February 14 2008 - 10:29 AM

I hated this film with a passion. Worst move I've seen in a LONG time... Posted Image
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com