-

Photo
- - - - -

Using Sharpies on blanks DVDs/CDs

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,391 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted February 13 2008 - 08:59 AM

This is a new one on me.

Someone I work with says he's heard that if you use Sharpies-brand markers to write on the surface of CD-Rs and DVD-Rs and then store those discs in such a fashion that the information side of one disc comes in contact with the "Sharpie side" of another disc...that it could ruin the information on the former with a transfer of ink.

Has anyone else ever heard of this phenomenon?

I've never run into this issue at home (but, then again, rarely store discs on spindles at home). I do, however, store discs in this manner at work and am a little nervous to find out if my know-it-all co-worker might actually have a clue...

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   drobbins

drobbins

Screenwriter

• 1,870 posts

Posted February 13 2008 - 09:36 AM

I have been using Sharpies for years on stacked CDs & DVDs with out an issue. I do give the ink a few moments to dry though.

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds

Producer

• 3,597 posts

Posted February 13 2008 - 10:06 AM

Quote:
my know-it-all co-worker
I think that's the important part of that sentence. Know it alls usually don't. In my experience, I have had no problems, over many years of storing disks in spindles.

CJ
And then when I feel so stuffed I can't eat anymore, I just use the restroom! And then I CAN eat more!

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   SD_Brian

SD_Brian

Supporting Actor

• 586 posts

Posted February 13 2008 - 10:16 AM

Perhaps your "know-it-all" co-worker has been using dry-erase Sharpies to mark his disks rather than the permanent ink ones, hence the ink rubbing off?

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   Ken Chan

Ken Chan

Producer

• 3,302 posts

Posted February 13 2008 - 10:45 AM

Quote:
if you use Sharpies-brand markers to write on the surface of CD-Rs and DVD-Rs and then store those discs in such a fashion that the information side of one disc comes in contact with the "Sharpie side" of another disc...that it could ruin the information on the former with a transfer of ink
This is probably a variation/mistelling of the notion that since permanent markers like Sharpies have solvents, you are generally "not supposed to" use them to label CD-Rs, because the ink will go through the thinner label side of the disc and damage the disc.

To whatever degree that is actually a problem, this story is even less plausible. Unless the Sharpie ink visibly transfers to obscure the playing side (maybe not to the naked eye, but to the laser), the plastic on the playing side is thicker, and is expected to get smudged and scratched.

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,391 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted February 13 2008 - 12:01 PM

Thanks everyone.

I figured to get a reasoned, informed response from the members of the HTF. He probably got the idea from some e-mail spam or something (tell six of your co-workers or you will have six months of bad luck!).

CJ: you caught my emphasis--even without me using any. Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds

Producer

• 3,597 posts

Posted February 15 2008 - 06:19 AM

Quote:
CJ: you caught my emphasis--even without me using any. [url=http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/../images/smilies/thumbsup.gif]

CJ

And then when I feel so stuffed I can't eat anymore, I just use the restroom! And then I CAN eat more!

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,391 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted February 15 2008 - 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ Reynolds
I feel like I even know what he looks like. Just like the know-it-all at my workplace! Posted Image

CJ

I don't know about yours, but mine...never...stops...talking! Posted Image

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   Jeff_CusBlues

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor

• 605 posts

Posted February 16 2008 - 11:42 PM

I have good results if I use green Sharpies. LOL

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   Ed Simmons

Ed Simmons

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted February 28 2008 - 02:42 AM

Using any solvent based ink on the face of DVDs is a risky venture. Sharpies are generally safe to use but Sharpies has never done any long term impact study to determine their long term effects. Using regular permanent ink markers should be avoided. I really dislike any marker labels because they tend to look unprofessional and it is hard to gage word spacing when making a label with a lengthy description. I like to use my DiscPainter for my disc labels because the text feature allows a multitude of colors, fonts, and text sizes. Plus the text can be placed onto a descriptive color picture for a really professional looking label. Sharpies are ok for some unimportant disc that gets seen only by you. If the disc is important or is to be given to someone else, the DiscPainter is a necessity.

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   tycomps

tycomps

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted March 01 2008 - 12:46 AM

I've been using black medium point sharpie permanents since burning began and can't say I've seen a problem. This is only for backup, or disk copies and I let them dry before putting them in a sleeve or on a spindle. In the past if I've had to use an economy disk I have wondered about the issue of being able to see the writing thru the disk but again this is only on the cheap disks and I've never made a correlation to errors as a result.

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   Buzz Foster

Buzz Foster

Second Unit

• 450 posts

Posted March 01 2008 - 03:00 AM

My understanding is that when you write on the top of the disc, you are essentially writing on the backside of the actual burning surface. What the KIA co-worker was suggesting, it seems, is that it is more dangerous to data for dried Sharpie ink to touch the lexan protective layer, than for wet Sharpie ink to touch the writing surface which is sprayed on the data layer.

That's just silly.
Look up!  Scream in terror!  Get smooshed!  Fear me, for I am PARTYZILLA!

facebook.com/getthebuzz  facebook.com/partyzilla