What's new

Using Sharpies on blanks DVDs/CDs (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This is a new one on me.

Someone I work with says he's heard that if you use Sharpies-brand markers to write on the surface of CD-Rs and DVD-Rs and then store those discs in such a fashion that the information side of one disc comes in contact with the "Sharpie side" of another disc...that it could ruin the information on the former with a transfer of ink.

Has anyone else ever heard of this phenomenon?

I've never run into this issue at home (but, then again, rarely store discs on spindles at home). I do, however, store discs in this manner at work and am a little nervous to find out if my know-it-all co-worker might actually have a clue...

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I have been using Sharpies for years on stacked CDs & DVDs with out an issue. I do give the ink a few moments to dry though.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
I think that's the important part of that sentence. Know it alls usually don't. In my experience, I have had no problems, over many years of storing disks in spindles.

CJ

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Perhaps your "know-it-all" co-worker has been using dry-erase Sharpies to mark his disks rather than the permanent ink ones, hence the ink rubbing off?

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
This is probably a variation/mistelling of the notion that since permanent markers like Sharpies have solvents, you are generally "not supposed to" use them to label CD-Rs, because the ink will go through the thinner label side of the disc and damage the disc.

To whatever degree that is actually a problem, this story is even less plausible. Unless the Sharpie ink visibly transfers to obscure the playing side (maybe not to the naked eye, but to the laser), the plastic on the playing side is thicker, and is expected to get smudged and scratched.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks everyone.

I figured to get a reasoned, informed response from the members of the HTF. He probably got the idea from some e-mail spam or something (tell six of your co-workers or you will have six months of bad luck!).

CJ: you caught my emphasis--even without me using any. :emoji_thumbsup:

Ed Simmons

Auditioning
Real Name
Ed Simmons
Using any solvent based ink on the face of DVDs is a risky venture. Sharpies are generally safe to use but Sharpies has never done any long term impact study to determine their long term effects. Using regular permanent ink markers should be avoided. I really dislike any marker labels because they tend to look unprofessional and it is hard to gage word spacing when making a label with a lengthy description. I like to use my DiscPainter for my disc labels because the text feature allows a multitude of colors, fonts, and text sizes. Plus the text can be placed onto a descriptive color picture for a really professional looking label. Sharpies are ok for some unimportant disc that gets seen only by you. If the disc is important or is to be given to someone else, the DiscPainter is a necessity.

tycomps

Auditioning
Real Name
rob
I've been using black medium point sharpie permanents since burning began and can't say I've seen a problem. This is only for backup, or disk copies and I let them dry before putting them in a sleeve or on a spindle. In the past if I've had to use an economy disk I have wondered about the issue of being able to see the writing thru the disk but again this is only on the cheap disks and I've never made a correlation to errors as a result.

Buzz Foster

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
My understanding is that when you write on the top of the disc, you are essentially writing on the backside of the actual burning surface. What the KIA co-worker was suggesting, it seems, is that it is more dangerous to data for dried Sharpie ink to touch the lexan protective layer, than for wet Sharpie ink to touch the writing surface which is sprayed on the data layer.

That's just silly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks