What's new

MGM/Fox May War/Western/Comedy titles (1 Viewer)

TimJS

Second Unit
DVDSavant is reporting the following Dates & Titles:

May 13th

War
Carve Her Name With Pride
Morning Departure
The One That Got Away
The Secret Invasion
The Secret Of Santa Vittoria

Westerns
Day Of The Outlaw
Gunfight At Dodge City
Man Of The West
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

Man With The Gun
Navajo Joe
The Way West
The Westerner

May 20th

Comedies
If It's Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium
The Night They Raided Minsky's
What Did You Do In The War, Daddy?

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Wow...This made my evening!!! SANTA VITTORIA! MAN OF THE WEST! and all 3 comedy selections!!!!!!

DanMel

Second Unit
That is great news!!! Actually it is the best news I heard of all year as a Gary Cooper fan and with Man of the West and The Westerner coming out on his birth/death month of May. They released 8 of his titles last May and mgm seems to be the only company still interested in releasing his movies on dvd. MGM has released the last 11 of his movies on dvd including the pride of the yankees re-release.

These will probably be bare bones releases as MGM is not all that big on releasing extras unless it is a re-release and it is announced as a special edition. However, that is fine with me as I just hope they release the best prints they can of the movies.

walter o

Supporting Actor
WHAT DID YOU DO IN THE WAR DADDY is a great film, finally coming out on DVD!

hopefully Friedkin will give us a commentary for NIGHT THEY RAIDED MINSKY.

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison
I will go for the Cooper and Mitchum westerns and a couple of the war films, but that is about it.

Opi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Felix Wieme
Man of the West was released by MGM in Germany years ago.

But I'm glad about "The Way West" because I adore Kirk Douglas.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Let me say it before others scream about it. Why is one of the best westerns ever made still without a dvd release? The western "The Gunfighter" has few peers and starred one of Fox's biggest stars Gregory Peck, yet, here we are in 2008 still without a peep about a SD DVD release.

I just don't understand it!

Anyhow, I'm happy about the other western releases and will be buying 5-6 of them with 3-4 war films being added to my collection in May.

Crawdaddy

Opi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Felix Wieme
@Robert
If you have a codefree DVD player then order it from Amazon.de
The German title is "Der Scharfschütze".

OK, it's PAL and you guys talk about RC1 DVDs but hey, it's better than nothing.
If you need assistance .... :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thanks, but I rather keep the DVD-R copy I have from my satellite than deal with PAL speedup issues.

Charles H

Screenwriter
This made my month since not only is Fox/MGM/Sony/Tom Cruise/UA listening to us (e.g., THE WESTERNER/MAN OF THE WEST), but this is the first time in many years that the company has made a significant dent into their vast and very impressive catalog. Can THE BEST MAN, A CHILD IS WAITING, RETURN TO PARADISE, A KILLER IS LOOSE, SATAN BUG, WITNESS TO MURDER, PARIS BLUES, THE GROUP, SLEEP, MY LOVE,and THE HONEY POT be far behind? Maybe I'll see Eddie Cantor and Danny Kaye collections in my lifetime.

For me the crown jewel is CARVE HER NAME WITH PRIDE with an astonishing performance by Virginia MacKenna (is a commentary possible?)

Remember: TCF has yet to announce their May western/war dvd slate.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford - this is NOT Fox yearly release of War films and Westerns -none of these are fox movies but all MGM /UA titles

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Then there is still a chance.:) Which brings up a point of what war and western films Fox has to release this spring, other than "The Gunfighter"?

Crawdaddy

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Definitely count me in for "The Westerner" & "Man of the West". I'm not familiar with any of the other titles. Anybody care to convince me?

Charles H

Screenwriter
Fox western films: THE RAID, A TICKET TO TOMAHAWK, GARDEN OF EVIL, TWO FLAGS WEST, THE SILVER WHIP, THREE YOUNG TEXANS, POWDER RIVER (a remake of MY DARLING CLEMENTINE) with the George O'Brien and Randolph Scott versions of FRONTIER MARSHALL, SMOKY (both versions), BELLE STARR, BEAUTIFUL BLONDE FROM BASFUL BEND (for us Preston Sturges completists), THE OUTCASTS OF POKER FLAT, CITY OF BAD MEN, GAMBLER FROM NATCHEZ, SEVEN CITIES OF GOLD. THE BROKEN LAND, RAWHIDE.

Fox war: REACH FOR THE SKY, MARGIN FOR ERROR, THE PIED PIPER, DESTINATION GOBI, A BELL FOR ADANO, a non pd of the great THREE CAME HOME, EVE OF ST. MARK, IN LOVE AND WAR, CIRCLE OF DECEPTION, THE GLORY BRIGADE, FOUR JILLS IN A JEEP.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Robert, for Fox's western titles, besides the GUNFIGHTER, I am waitng for:
Rawhide
Western Union
Belle Starr
Garden of Evil
Two Flags West
Pony Soldier
A Ticket to Tomahawk
Canadian Pacific

as for the war titles, I'd go for This Above All

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Man Of The West?! :eek: :eek: Finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now Fox just needs to get Garden of Evil out!! and that Gunfighter film of course.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Woo hoo!!! :) :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

I'll definitely be buying:

MAN OF THE WEST
DAY OF THE OUTLAW (a great psychological western, directed by Andre de Toth)
THE WESTERNER (finally back in print!)
NAVAJO JOE
WHAT DID YOU DO IN THE WAR, DADDY?
CARVE HER NAME WITH PRIDE

Here's hoping MGM's May 2009 wave of westerns will include:

DEATH RIDES A HORSE (legit, widescreen release)
THE MERCENARY (aka A PROFESSIONAL GUN)
BANDIDO
WAR PAINT
GOD FORGIVES, I DON'T

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The titles are all good news as far as I'm concerned, though I'll only double-dip on 'Man of The West' if MGM can improve on the so-so R2 transfer. The R2 of 'Carve Her Name...' has a Virginia McKenna commentary, but is still non-anamorphic (at the second time of asking), so it will be interesting to see what MGM come up with.

R2 is currently doing John Mills proud in his centenary year; looking forward to (hopefully) a good transfer of 'Morning Departure'.

As for 'The Westerner', all I can holler is woo followed by a very loud hoo...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks