What's new

New Toshiba Firmware ver. 2.0 for A3/A30/A35 (1 Viewer)

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Sweet, I was wondering when the A3 was going to get an update...I don't have mine hooked up via ethernet.

Thanks, Jeff!

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Here's what it supposedly does:

Firmware Update Version 2.0

Applicable Models: HD-A30, HD-A3, HD-D3, and HD-A35.

Overview: As part of our commitment to provide world-class service to our customers, Toshiba is supplying this firmware update for use by purchasers of the Toshiba HD DVD Player models listed above. This firmware update improves support for 1080p/24Hz and auto mode(for HD-A30 and HD-A35), improves network connectivity for supporting the download of web-enabled network content associated with certain HD DVD discs, and also addresses certain disc playback and HDMI/DVI related issues identified by Toshiba.

Important Note: Certain HD DVD discs may contain or have the capability of downloading studio-provided, web-enabled network content. To minimize any potential compatibility and/or connectivity issues it is recommended that you perform the firmware update process to ensure that your HD DVD player is using the latest firmware version.

I think I'm going to wait this one out to hear what it actually does before I go updating my player. Granted, it does glitch on some discs, but only on a handful (and who knows if they will be the "certain discs" they're speaking of). Kind of an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" thing. I guess I'm just afraid that it'll turn into a brick...

***EDIT***

Jeff,

Sorry, didn't mean to thread crap...I just wanted to point out that I've read some horrors stories about people's players not handling previous FW updates correctly thereby brickwalling it. I'm not trying to scare people away, just more trying to inform them that the potential risk is there based on others' experiences. Hope I didn't offend you.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Why would you offend me? I just gave a link, not a recommendation. Although I've personally updated 3 players 6 times and never had a problem, some people are more cautious .

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I haven't done any firmware updates, as I'm waiting for Toshiba to mail me my update disc, since I don't have an Ethernet connection near my player (my network's wireless; kinda makes you suspect I'd be a PS3 guy but.... no.).

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher

Hopefully with this update my Shaun of the Dead disc will finally play without any pixelization in the final 8-10 minutes.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
American Gangster causes the 408 error still when web connected.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Either reinitialize from the General->Maintenence->Initialize menu or clear out the entry for American Gangster in the General->Maintenence->Persistent Storage menu. Sometimes this helps after an update because the persistent storage still has some corrupted stuff in it from the last time you tried to load.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

OK, cool! Thought what I did might be construed as thread crapping, but apparently not. ;)

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Updated with no problem over ethernet. Kind of funny having a wireless adapter hooked up to a dvd player.

Good tip regarding the intializing of persistant storage. Thanks Jeff.

donfr

Auditioning
Real Name
Don Freed
I installed the 2.0 firmware last night on my A30. The upgrade all seemed to go nicely. However, I soon noticed that some of my DVDs, both SD and HD, would cause the player to make a "grinding" sound during the first 7-8 minutes of the disc. It's as if the player was having a hard time tracking the discs during those first minutes. As the player gets past those first few minutes, the sound will gradually decrease to a normal level. Of course, none of this happened with the prior firmware (1.3). The player worked great.

I called Toshiba, and they said I can only send it back to them for service. And they said that there is no way for me to revert to the earlier firmware. Anyway, be warned about this upgrade.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Anyone else updated their firmware? I'm wondering if it's worth it considering how mine actually works somewhat OK right now.

Blaine Skerry

Second Unit
I updated my A3 to 2.0 about a week ago and have played three HD DVD movies with no problems. I had version 1.1 when I bought the player and since updating I really haven't noticed any differences.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston

Sorry didn't respond earlier... I didn't see your question.

I have an A35 and a PS3. A35 has a Linksys adapter hooked up to the ethernet port.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Gary, which adapter is that? I have my network set up with USB wireless adapters, but I've never seen one that goes into the Ethernet port. That would be really useful for me (and probably a lot cheaper than running Ethernet over my powerlines with one of THOSE adapters).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks