What's new

In the Shadow of the Moon availability (1 Viewer)

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
Is anyone else trying to buy ``In the Shadow of the Moon,'' the documentary featuring those astronauts still living (excluding unfortunately Neil Armstrong) who actually went to, and in some cases, walked on the moon? I ask, because Amazon recently revised the availability to mid-March, and yet I've just been informed by someone that it's available now at Best Buy (which was supposedly its original release date). Anyone else notice this?

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Netflix mailed it to me yesterday so it's definitely been released. Perhaps Amazon just didn't receive enough stock or had a shipment delayed?

Jeff-Wooten

Stunt Coordinator
I noticed the Amazon listing today too. I went to the local Best Buy when it opened today, and while there was a slot on the shelf advertising "ITSOTM", there were no copies. But our Best Buy is pretty lax when it comes go putting titles out on sale at opening time. I thought I'd try again after work this evening and see if they had put it out. BTW, Deep Discount is also showing that it's "currently not in stock."

Kenny Neal

Stunt Coordinator
I was fortunate enough to see this great film at the AFI theater in Silver Spring, MD.

And today I found and purchased a copy (the only one) of the DVD at Best Buy. I'm guessing they didn't get the memo.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
At the DVD Planet store in Huntington Beach, they told me they had received no copies, which would make sense given the link Jeff provided.

However, a nearby Borders had a copy available, and on sale for a $3.00 discount. I happily purchased the copy from Borders.

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
I just got a notification that it shipped to me today from amazon.ca, so I should get it tomorrow (assuming this freaking snow lets up).

I saw the film last April during Hot Docs and it's just amazing...The NASA footage is breathtaking and the astronauts are all fascinating. They kinda feel like your Grandpa - but with REALLY good stories.

Mario Bartel

Stunt Coordinator
I just finished watching it; rented it from Blockbuster this afternoon. Excellent film. The archival NASA footage is fabulous and the astronauts are all lively, engaging interviews; loved Buzz Aldrin's story about his lunar "first!"

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

it's true, we destroyed every copy as per a corporate memo.

i also work at a best buy and stopped in this morning and bought
2 copies.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
TheDigitalBits reported on this today and here is what Bill had to say

So it looks like it is available (found one at my local Best Buy) but you may need to be a little patient.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
That's pretty funny, in an ironic way, because in the link Chris S. posted, there was reported to be no change in the street date, yet according to Tony D's previous post, the folks at Best Buy must have come to a different conclusion (maybe it was just due to a communications sanfu), because they purposely destroyed all of their copies.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
My guess is that late last week no agreement had been reached by the two party's involved in the lawsuit so they issued a statement to destroy all of the copies that had reached vendors. Then early this week that was overturned. That's my guess.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Wonderful movie, I saw it in the theatre last year, & I may well buy the DVD if it doesn't look likely to come out on Blu-Ray any time soon. After all, I can give it away eventually.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Went to my local Best Buy last night in hopes of snagging a copy. Their computer said they still had 13 in the store (even though they had originally received many more than that).

I had a very friendly blue-shirt help me for quite awhile trying to find it amongst their shelves and in their back room...with no luck. But he did print me up a raincheck so I could get it at their $14.99 price.

I then went and found a copy at the nearby FYE (TransWorld) store in the same mall. They had received two copies and mis-filed them in their documentary section under "S". :rolleyes::D

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
:laugh:

Another adventure of "Mike and Best Buy"! One of these days I'm sure you'll come to the understanding that they just don't like you in that way. :D

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
:laugh: I see. The seemingly-friendly blue-shirt was only stringing me along while a bunch of employees were watching on their security camera monitors and holding tightly onto their 13 copies of In the Shadow of the Moon while they were laughing at my very expense! Damn them! :angry:

:D

ErichH

Screenwriter

Agree, an amazing film. a BD not really a concern for this. It's all about the guys talking and how they feel, what they experienced.

Jeff Meyers

Supporting Actor
I had an interesting "In the Shadow of the Moon" experience at Best Buy this week. I stopped by Best Buy on Tuesday (02/19) to pick-up a couple of new releases and I saw several copies of In the Shadow of the Moon DVD's. My heart started racing, my hands became sweaty, and my mouth became dry, for I had stumbled on a treasure trove of valuable collectibles . . . DVD's recalled for rights issues! I pondered my options: go home and research this to get the complete scoop (and take a chance that they'll all be pulled by the time I get back); or just buy them now, and figure out all of the details later. I quickly called my wife and informed her of the situation. I told her, "Hon, this DVD was discussed over at HTF. It was recalled immediately, and some stores were actually destroying the discs! These are likely to be collectible, and worth some money. Start planning our cruise!" (OK, I just made that last sentence up.)

I grabbed the six copies on the shelf and made my way to the register. The whole time I was standing in line I was wondering how I was going to explain why I was buying 6 copies of In the Shadow of the Moon. I knew that I couldn't just say, "These DVD's were recalled. You're not supposed to be selling these. You were to pull them from the shelves and return them." My other thought was that the title was "flagged", and that sirens would blare, lights would flash, and that metal grate protecting the exterior doors would drop the moment the first DVD's UPC was scanned.

Naturally, the blue shirted cashier was curious, "Who are all of these for?" I mumbled something about some rumor that these may be collectible for some reason or another. The sale went through without alerting the authorities and I breathed a sigh of relief as I made it to my car.

I raced home to research the recall issues on HTF, and to calculate my projected profits from eBay sales. I really don't have the words to express my surprise, shock, and disappointment upon discovering that the release rights issues were settled rather quickly, and that In the Shadow of the Moon is no longer subject to a recall, and that the DVD is readily available at retail.

My next challenge was how to convince my wife to return these 6 DVD's to Best Buy. I thought about, "Hon, are you going to be running any errands near Best Buy today?" I decided against even broaching the subject with her. This would have been a challenging request, even if it had been one of my most charming days.

I headed back to Best Buy on Wednesday night to return the titles. Again, I was guessing at the questions that I would be asked, and again I fumbled for answers. I was greeted at the door by the guy with the gun that shoots (or sticks) those pink "item being returned" labels onto each of my 6 copies of In the Shadow of the Moon. Luckily the returns line was short and moved quickly, which helped alleviate my anxiety. Sure enough, the question was asked, "Why are you returning 6 copies of this DVD? Is there something wrong with them?" I mumbled my way through my story about believing that they were potential collector's items and then discovering later that it was not true. I got my refund and made my way to my car, again breathing a sigh of relief.

The moral to this story: Read the Home Theater Forum threads in detail.
Or, the moral could be: Make sure that you can access HTF from anywhere should the need arise. "Hey Hon, I think I need an iPhone . . ."

By the way, if you're looking for In the Shadow of the Moon on DVD, and happen to be in the Murrieta area, stop in at Best Buy - they have some copies in stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks