Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Jericho Season 2 thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
254 replies to this topic

#1 of 255 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,895 posts

Posted February 11 2008 - 06:23 PM

Okay, Tuesday is here, and the 2nd season of Jericho kicks off for a 7-episode run starting tonight on CBS in the 10-spot EST.

Even if you have seen the leaked episodes, please keep your comments in this thread to the episodes that have aired (at least by east coast/central time zones airings), and wait for subsequent episodes to air before commenting on them. Thanks.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#2 of 255 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted February 12 2008 - 02:56 AM

I'm kind of psyched for this; I caught up with the Universal HD marathons in December and last weekend, and now I'm wondering what I was watching Wednesdays at 8pm last fall.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#3 of 255 OFFLINE   Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter

• 1,105 posts

Posted February 12 2008 - 04:55 AM

On my MUST-DVR list. (10 p.m. too late for us teaching types...)

#4 of 255 OFFLINE   Louis C

Louis C

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted February 12 2008 - 01:26 PM

Patrick, thanks for doing a new thread. It needed a new one for a fresh, new (albeit short) season. Can't wait to see the kickoff tonight!

#5 of 255 OFFLINE   pitchman

pitchman

Screenwriter

• 1,843 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted February 12 2008 - 03:33 PM

Well, I have to say I am a bit undecided about this one...

After such a long hiatus, I guess I was expecting more. Overall, the show just came off as rather dull and plodding. It certainly lacked the tension and intensity of the best season one episodes. Also, it took nearly forty minutes before there was any mention of the conspiracy (which to me is the most interesting part of the entire Jericho mythology.)

I am happy to see it back on the air, but for me, something appears to be missing. As always, YMMV... and probably will.
Gary

#6 of 255 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,395 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted February 12 2008 - 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchman
After such a long hiatus, I guess I was expecting more. Overall, the show just came off as rather dull and plodding. It certainly lacked the tension and intensity of the best season one episodes. Also, it took nearly forty minutes before there was any mention of the conspiracy (which to me is the most interesting part of the entire Jericho mythology.)
This moved way faster than any of the season one episodes except maybe the flashback episode, especially when you consider the amount of recap for new viewers got shoehorned into the episode.

In this episode:
  • we were introduced to a whole new form of military rule
  • the political sphere of the post-destruction United States was hashed out in detail
  • the farmer and IRS agent got engaged
  • the vengence plot against New Bern has been largely wrapped up
  • Hawkins was reunited with one of his fellow DHS infiltrators
  • Jake became sheriff.
This show has gone from a soap opera with science fiction overtones to a bonafide science fiction alternate history. You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but this viewer loved it.Posted Image

#7 of 255 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,895 posts

Posted February 12 2008 - 06:20 PM

I thought the pace was much better than most of the first half of season 1 episodes as well, and it is marching along with more confidence in the setup of the main plot for this brief respite from the verge of TV death.

#8 of 255 OFFLINE   RAF

RAF

Lead Actor

• 7,062 posts

Posted February 12 2008 - 08:15 PM

I agree with Adam and Pat.

Now if the sunflower "petition" to the USA network can have the same effect on The 4400 as the peanut campaign directed at CBS had on Jericho then the TV season may actually be forgiven for the likes of Dance War: Bruno vs. Carrie Ann which, in my opinion, will be best remembered for being the "reality" show that officially made the genre Jump the Shark. I mean, what's up with that show? Has anyone really figured out the "rules" for that one? They seem to be making it up as they go along. To me, a must-miss.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

And speaking of "peanuts," I loved the apparent homage to the viewers' campaign when peanuts were being eaten in one scene of this evening's Jericho episode. Nicely placed.

Posted Image Posted Image

RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
CLICK HERE to visit My HT HTF Rules and Regulations

#9 of 255 OFFLINE   Marty M

Marty M

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted February 13 2008 - 06:29 AM

This episode was pretty much what I expected it to be. It was important to lay some ground work to which the proceeding episodes can expand on. I was very pleased with last night's episode.
Lawn Ranger Motto: You're only young once, but you can be always be immature.

#10 of 255 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,935 posts

Posted February 13 2008 - 12:43 PM

A few things....

-It seemed like a few characters are MIA. Jake's mom, Dale, Bonnie. Are they all gone this season??

-In a good and bad point. I did like the reactions to the little things...eating a hamburger. But, they did seem to get a lot of things back in 4 weeks.

-I guess we can assume the army took care of Emily's dad and his armed band of entrepenuers.
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#11 of 255 OFFLINE   Quincy

Quincy

Stunt Coordinator

• 59 posts

Posted February 13 2008 - 02:01 PM

I still want to know what was on the train Hawkins derailed. Was it troops from New Bern or what.

#12 of 255 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,395 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted February 13 2008 - 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd s
It seemed like a few characters are MIA. Jake's mom, Dale, Bonnie. Are they all gone this season??
After CBS cancelled the show, Pamela Reed joined the cast of "Eli Stone" so she won't be back. I don't think anyone else is confirmed as not being back, though.

EDIT: "Jericho" lost to a repeat of SVU on NBC Posted Image

#13 of 255 OFFLINE   Andrew Beacom

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor

• 795 posts

Posted February 14 2008 - 01:25 AM

I for one hated the 4 weeks later approach to story telling. It was a cop out so they could get back to the soap opera stuff. The whole episode was very disappointing.

#14 of 255 OFFLINE   streeter

streeter

Screenwriter

• 1,391 posts

Posted February 14 2008 - 01:32 AM

Jericho did poorly in the ratings on Tuesday night Posted Image
Nothing Lost Forever: The Films of Tom Schiller
"I'll tell you why... 'cause I'm a dancer."

home page / dvds

#15 of 255 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,895 posts

Posted February 14 2008 - 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streeter
Jericho did poorly in the ratings on Tuesday night Posted Image

But it still did better than the previous show, Cane, in that timeslot. Let's hope the ratings hold for the remaining episodes.

#16 of 255 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,514 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted February 14 2008 - 04:24 AM

I agree that this episode was in general faster-paced than most of the first season's shows. It only slowed down for me during the Stanley/Mimi scenes. I've never warmed to her character OR their romance - those scenes were torture to me.

I do think Esai Morales is a welcome presence on the show. He was great on "NYPD Blue" in his stint as precinct boss, and it looks like he will bring the same qualities to "Jericho".

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#17 of 255 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,514 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted February 14 2008 - 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy
I still want to know what was on the train Hawkins derailed. Was it troops from New Bern or what.
I think it was explained in the Season 1 finale that the train carried New Bern troops to ambush the Jericho contigent during the battle. Somehow the Jericho guys found out about the plan and sent Hawkins with the tank to stop the train, hoping to outfox Constantino.

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#18 of 255 OFFLINE   Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,732 posts

Posted February 14 2008 - 04:31 AM

Well, Jericho was a death blow to the Terminator TV show, since I only have room in my brain to care about one american TV show at a time. And even if it tanks in the ratings, hopefuly they'll wrap things up enough to have an ending by the time the 8 episodes are up.

That's all I ask - just have an ending to the show.

#19 of 255 OFFLINE   pitchman

pitchman

Screenwriter

• 1,843 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted February 14 2008 - 04:36 AM

IIRC, there are seven season two episodes, not eight.
Gary

#20 of 255 OFFLINE   joshEH

joshEH

Producer

• 3,108 posts
  • LocationRoom 303, The Heart O' The City Hotel

Posted February 15 2008 - 06:27 AM

Anyone notice at least two more nuked cities added to Hawkins's map?

Honolulu, HI and another city in New Jersey. (Newark?)

Despite this, the show keeps insisting on giving us the "23 bombed cities" figure, which is now WAY too low from all the onscreen evidence.

Also...a civil war is certainly coming.

Anyone happen to catch the "New America!" book that someone was holding in the promo for next week's episode? Published by Tomarchio and Valente's group, no doubt. Very shady, neocon-type stuff.

A hardliner faction. They're starting, ever so slowly but steadily, to remake the country along how the lines of how THEY want things to be. The nukes were simply the initial, softening-up phase of this greater scheme.

And the fact that Tomarchio reduced Iran and North Korea to radioactive rubble on a completely false pretext...the international community wanting nothing more to do with us is clearly bullshit propaganda cooked up by this group, as evidenced by the aid sent from China and Germany in Season 1.

Jennings & Rall are being established as the Halliburton-esque profiteers of this whole mess -- it's no coincidence that they're the parent-owners of Ravenwood -- and how they gradually shift from "benevolent" crisis-aid to the Allied States of America survivors to the brownshirt-arm of Valente's regime is going to be interesting to watch.

Likewise, will D.B. Sweeney's merc-army be brought back for Round 2 when Jericho finally realizes what Jennings & Rall (and the greater New Order) are really up to?

Can't wait to see where this is going. Between this show, LOST, Terminator, and the upcoming new Battlestar season, we're getting some pretty damned solid science-fiction writing in one window, despite the WGA strike.

Bring it on, I say.

(And did anyone else notice that when they were in Jimmy's hospital room, there was a news ticker running across the bottom of the screen that said something about the "Hudson Virus" being contained? It says the Health and Human Services secretary -- presumably of the ASA -- said, so far, the Hudson Virus has been contained "east of the Mississippi." Might this be a plotline for later in the season, or a potential Season 3?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt
After CBS cancelled the show, Pamela Reed joined the cast of "Eli Stone" so she won't be back. I don't think anyone else is confirmed as not being back, though.
Spoiler:

She's going to be back for at least one episode, though probably to move her "offscreen" permanently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt
Although, according to what I've been hearing from various sources, the ratings were still pretty good, with a respectable audience carryover from Big Brother, and Variety called Jericho's premiere numbers "solid."

Losing to SVU? I'm not worried. Shows like that will almost always rate higher than "genre" programs like Jericho.

"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow