Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

New STAR WARS film coming to theaters August 15, 2008

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
207 replies to this topic

#41 of 208 OFFLINE   Chris Atkins

Chris Atkins

Producer

• 3,887 posts

Posted February 14 2008 - 04:40 AM

Didn't Lucas say he wanted to direct the small, experimental projects? And didn't he say this while also saying that Lucasfilm was prepping the new animated series?

Lucas isn't directing this film, and he may not even have a writing credit. My understanding was that he got a bunch of writers/directors together, told them what he wanted, and then they went out and wrote/directed all the stuff.

#42 of 208 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,909 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted February 14 2008 - 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Will
I agree with Radioman plus, I'm really not that interested in the Clone Wars anymore. I'd much rather see something that takes place between Episodes III and IV or something after Episode VI.

There are a lot of projects set between III and IV. I understand that this new Force Unleashed game is considered canon by Lucas, and his live action TV series will happen during that time.

#43 of 208 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,341 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted February 14 2008 - 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman970
I thought it would look more realistic. Very cartoony.
Well, it is a cartoon. Posted Image

#44 of 208 OFFLINE   Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted February 14 2008 - 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR
Well, it is a cartoon. Posted Image

Only when it comes to Star Wars do you get those kinds of complaints. Posted Image
"If you're good at something, never do it for free."

#45 of 208 OFFLINE   Joe_G

Joe_G

Second Unit

• 300 posts

Posted February 14 2008 - 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Atkins
Didn't Lucas say he wanted to direct the small, experimental projects? And didn't he say this while also saying that Lucasfilm was prepping the new animated series?

Yup. In fact, it was in a Charlie Rose interview he did around the time THX-1138 was making it's way to DVD and a limited theatrical rerelease that he reinterated this and has been since. Lucas did say that after ROTS, that he was going back to his roots and making his small, experimental art films, along with Indy 4 and Red Tails. Lucas also mentioned that he wanted to get back to working on TV projects. The first Clone Wars was already airing. There was no mention of a live SW tv series and another Clone Wars series. I think that what has everyone kinda confussed is that Lucas has stated quite a few times that after ROTS, that would be it for any new SW. Of course he could've been only talking of the long rumored SW:7-9.

Quote:
Lucas isn't directing this film, and he may not even have a writing credit. My understanding was that he got a bunch of writers/directors together, told them what he wanted, and then they went out and wrote/directed all the stuff.

That's exactly what he's done, with Rob Coleman heading the animation dept. The same thing will be done on the live action TV series - multiple writers/directors. I think it's safe to say that Lucas IS involved in the revamped Clone Wars series, but I don't think it will be as much or "hands on" as everyone thinks he is. The live action series might be a different story.

#46 of 208 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,333 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted March 15 2008 - 07:41 AM

I just learned about this via CNN.
Quote:
The movie came about as an afterthought while Lucas was developing an animated TV show of the same name. That show debuts this fall, but Lucas figured it was ripe for big-screen treatment, too.
"You've got the whole assembly line built, and then you say, 'Hey, we can make up something,"' Lucas said in an interview. "It was like old-time movie making. What I love about television, it's like Monogram Pictures or the old studio system, where a couple guys come to work and they sit and have some coffee and go, 'Why don't we make a movie about such and such? OK, fine.' And at the end of the day, it's pretty much on its way."
The reporting suggests a movie that was just thrown together for kicks and to make a few bucks: an Ocean's 12 of Star Wars.

So the description isn't encouraging, but the previous Cartoon Network series was pretty good; hopefully it will be a good, fun movie.

#47 of 208 OFFLINE   Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted March 15 2008 - 09:30 AM

But it's not actually a movie that was "thrown together for kicks". It's the first few episodes of a long planned TV show that they decided would work on the big screen as an actual film.

#48 of 208 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,341 posts

Posted March 15 2008 - 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent M
But it's not actually a movie that was "thrown together for kicks". It's the first few episodes of a long planned TV show that they decided would work on the big screen as an actual film.
Yep. Not that they're afraid of making more money too though. Posted Image

#49 of 208 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,333 posts

Posted March 15 2008 - 10:39 AM

Quote:
That sounds "thrown together" to me. Hey, let's take a few TV episodes and play them back to back and call it a movie. A good movie is more than a few TV episodes strung together. Or did they retool the episodes for the movie presentation?

#50 of 208 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,341 posts

Posted March 15 2008 - 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveF
Or did they retool the episodes for the movie presentation?
It seems safe to assume that the episodes tell one basic story. Even if there was no movie and these were going straight to TV, they'd probably have written them as a multi-episode story. That way after the first episode, the casual fans and kids want to see what happens next and watch the next episode (and hopefully keep watching the show for its run) and the hardcore fans get a big story to start off with.

#51 of 208 OFFLINE   Joe Cole

Joe Cole

Second Unit

• 284 posts

Posted March 15 2008 - 10:18 PM

Quote:
I guess I shouldn't be surprised at all the criticism of this project. I mean, it is Star Wars after all so there has to be a lot of disappointment and complaining, right? Personally, I think the animation looks fantastic and the whole thing looks like a fun experiment. Naturally I'd much rather see more live-action Star Wars films, but this is better than nothing IMHO and I'll gladly go see this in the theater come August.

This would be my thoughts as well on the new 'cartoon' SW film/series. The question to ask IMO is why won't Lucas either deal with the rich plot lines of many of the books or let others do it with his supervision. Where is Mara Jade and Luke's conflict and romance? And the rich vein of the smuggler culture and the remaining elements of the Imperial Fleet/Empire? The rebuilding of the Jedi schools and Council. There are lots of lousy books but many very good ones as well in the SW paperback universe, but Mara Jade/Luke and Han/Leia's marriage/twins/adventures are begging to be released on film/digital.
Joe C.
You don't need a Weather Man to know which way the wind blows. Bob Dylan

#52 of 208 OFFLINE   TerryRL

TerryRL

Producer

• 3,977 posts

Posted March 16 2008 - 04:53 AM

From what I understand a lot of what happens in the future of the Star Wars adventures are tied into the success of "The Clone Wars" and the live-action series. If both prove successful, than Lucasfilm will be a lot more willing to mine more stories from the SW universe for either television or the big screen.

As for Clone Wars, judging by what Lucas said at ShoWest, it seems that once a movie was decided on, the episodes in question were "tweaked" to be more "big screen friendly" (i.e. to make it feel like a movie rather than an extended television episode). The movie will be the launching pad of the series and I seriously doubt it will look "thrown together". Lucasfilm has way too much riding on it.

I'm expecting the first trailer to be attached to WB's "Speed Racer" in May. I also wouldn't be surprised if WB wanted trailers for the June launch of "Get Smart" and the July release of "The Dark Knight" as well.

If the movie and the show are both successful, I wouldn't be at all surprised if somewhere down the road Lucasfilm preps an animated show (following the 100 episode run of "The Clone Wars") that features the main players from the OT.

All big ifs, but we'll see what happens.
"Quite an experience to live in fear isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave."

#53 of 208 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,333 posts

Posted March 16 2008 - 06:14 AM

Here's hoping. The Clone Wars was surprisingly fun. I don't know how it would play as a 90 minute movie. But it showed there was still creative life left in Star Wars.

#54 of 208 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,947 posts

Posted March 16 2008 - 06:48 AM

The two hours of the Clone Wars that aired in 2003-2004 were the most exciting two hours of Star Wars since the original trilogy. Not trying to bash the prequels (which I liked), but the Clone Wars expanded on the Star Wars universe in a very successful way. It's the perfect property to use to expand it further with the new animated series and the new TV show.

#55 of 208 OFFLINE   DavidPla

DavidPla

Screenwriter

• 2,357 posts

Posted May 07 2008 - 03:35 AM

Posted Image

Official Star Wars: The Clone Wars Poster! - ComingSoon.net

Trailer comes out tomorrow

#56 of 208 OFFLINE   Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted May 07 2008 - 03:45 AM

Excellent. Posted Image

#57 of 208 OFFLINE   Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

• 1,687 posts

Posted May 07 2008 - 04:20 AM

Why are they using Episode III lightsabers in a pre-Episode II show?

EPIC FAIL!
"Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll hunt him... because he can take it... because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a DARK KNIGHT."

#58 of 208 OFFLINE   Chris Atkins

Chris Atkins

Producer

• 3,887 posts

Posted May 07 2008 - 04:53 AM

Cool poster!

Never underestimate Star Wars, but unless this is really fantastic I don't see it doing more than $100M at the box office (domestic).

#59 of 208 OFFLINE   Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted May 07 2008 - 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Gibbs
Why are they using Episode III lightsabers in a pre-Episode II show?

EPIC FAIL!

Um, it's not a "pre-Episode II" show. The Clone Wars took place BETWEEN Episodes II and III. Might wanna rescind that epic fail.

#60 of 208 OFFLINE   Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,720 posts

Posted May 07 2008 - 05:36 AM

Quote:
Never underestimate Star Wars, but unless this is really fantastic I don't see it doing more than $100M at the box office (domestic).

Considering it was made on a TV budget and is basically the pilot for the show, I think they'll happily take $100 million. The awareness that the theatrical release will (hopefully) bring for the TV show is what they're going for, I think.

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow