What's new

Coming from Shout! Factory: 21 Historical Saturday Morning TV Shows (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I watched a few of those as a child, especially The Cisco Kid and Sky King. From a short time later, I also loved Beany and Cecil and Tom Terrific (and his dog, Manfred).

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I don't associate all of those with Saturday mornings in the 1950s, especially "Lassie," which is so early Sunday evening, it's ridiculous.

Saturday morning wasn't Saturday morning without Mighty Mouse and Heckle and Jeckle, the Talking Magpies. I know CBS acquired the rights to the Terry-Toons way back in 1956 -- who has them now? And don't they know we aging baby boomers want them on DVD?

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
This looks like a really fun set and I'll especially be looking forward to the rare "Paul Winchell Show."

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I bought a couple of dollar DVDs of Howdy Doody. What a great show! I wish they could include some Mickey Mouse club on these. Hopefully they'll eventually get to do a 1970s Saturday morning.

At any rate, I'll be buying. Shout! is my hero with this and picking up MST3K. Plus the SCTV stuff. What a great company!!

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey

Disney has already put out a few Mickey Mouse Club DVDs. Although the single disc transfer was awful.

far as Saturday morning weirdness from the 70s, there's plenty of H-B, Krofft and Filmation stuff on the market in complete sets. Plus the School House Rock.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I remember seeing those MMC. And heard about the bad transfers.

I'm snapping up what's out there. the Ark II, Space Academy and Jason of Star Command were the biggest surprizes from last year in this area. I haven't gotten them yet but they are near the top of my list.

Id love for Shout! to secure some of the rare gems like The Hudson Brother's Razzle Dazzle show and stuff like like that are assumed lost and forgotten.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
Not sure if I could stomach the Hudson Brothers return. Having revisited a few variety shows on DVD, they were surely the product of a nation that was hooked on drugs. There's nothing worse than after sitting through those Donnie and Marie DVDs and realizing mom was right - this was a waste of time. I should have been learning to read French.

Although a complete Harlem Globetrotter's Saturday morning set would be amazing. We need more Meadowlark.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory

Lion's Gate could releases quality sets of all of those as well as Betty Boop, Laurel & Hardy, Little Rascals, Charley Chase, the list goes on but they will not.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
The opening credits to the Hudson Brothers is on youtube...

I really really really really want to see more of that. I loved those guys when I was a kid. Their movie Hysterical too.

I know variety shows can be ruff, I was watching one with John Denver and Karen Carpenter in a marching band telling jokes the other day. Everything about it was groan inducing...until Karen started playing drums scattered everywhere and it was suddenly worth watching. Often they can be laugh at it funny, but other times it's just too painful. I definitely want to get my hands on that Paul Lynde Halloween special. That one looks amazingly screwy.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Let's cross our fingers that they'll do a set for the 1960s, too! BTW, I think they should've added vintage kid's commercials from the era as an extra (Captain Midnight for Ovaltine, anyone?). Perhaps that's something they can do for a possible 60s set.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
James, thanks for that clip. I just posted about this show in the Super Kroft thread. Do you remember the skit "Piggy-Piggy Island"? The Hudson brothers are on this tiny island with a single palm tree and their opening line was "Another boring day on Piggy-Piggy". That's all I remember. Was this a Saturday morning show or prime time? For some reason I remember seeing this on saturday mornings.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
It's horrible, but I don't remember a thing from the show except that it was on Saturday mornings. But I have seen their movie Hysterical a lot.

Maybe Piggy-Piggy island was a play on Lord of the Flies.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'll probably grab this, sounds like a lot of fun.

I really want "New Adventures Of Pinocchio" which was done with stop motion kind of animation, and had him seeing weird stuff like the Lochness Monster. no idea when it aired, but man, I loved that one in repeats. I think there was a Wizard Of Oz one done the same way.

Mark Y

Screenwriter

"The Hudson Brothers Razzle Dazzle Show" was on Saturday mornings...along with "The Harlem Globetrotters Popcorn Machine," which was produced by the same company. (1974? 1975?)

In 1978 our local NBC O&O in Chicago was running "Bonkers" with the Hudson Brothers and Bob Monkhouse...a show produced in the UK....after SNL and SCTV, at 12:30 AM, though I think it was intended as a children's show. I remember they used to do a short silent movie in every show.

I'd love to see "Hysterical" .... managed to never catch that one so far.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I had to look up "Bonkers". I'll bet I watched that. If someone put that on DVD I'd buy it.

The Popcorn Hour is lost on me though. I don't think I watched it. I sure loved those guys though and wouldn't miss their games when they were aired on TV.

I recorded Hysterical off cable, thank God. I wish I'd bought the DVD before it went OOP. Maybe it'll get a rerelease. It's silly, but often laugh out loud funny. The Exorcist parody is the funnier part bar none. There's one humongous laugh in that scene. I also like it when they meet Dracula. And... "What difference does it make?" :D

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

It's not out until early May, but you can preview it at Shout!'s site:

Shout! Factory Store

and Amazon has it up for pre-order:

Amazon.com: Hiya Kids: A 50's Saturday Morning Box (4pc): Movies & TV

I hate to burst anyone's bubble here (including my own), but the shows that I previewed (Sky King, Sheena, Paul Winchell, Pinky Lee, Howdy Doody, and Flash Gordon) ALL look to be public domain quality. The "Flash Gordon" episode, "Deadline at Noon," has been issued on various dollar DVDs and the visual quality doesn't look any better than those found on the cheap versions. There are still a number of rare shows on this set, but you will be sorely disappointed if you are expecting pristine picture quality. I believe the "Howdy Doody" ("Puppet Playhouse Presents") episode included may date back to 1948 . . . . . surely one of the oldest television shows to have surfaced on DVD!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Amazon wants more for that than Shouts own store. $30.99 VS $29.99. Ouch!

Anyway, I'll definitely have to give it some second thought. I'd like it to be popular so they'll do more of this sort of thing. I don't have many of those so I think it'll be worth it. I haven't seen Kukla, Fran and Ollie since I was 6 or 7.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks