What's new

Thundarr the Barbarian (1 Viewer)

roark

Auditioning
Real Name
Ray
Any rumors on when this series will finally come to DVD? It seems the Hanna-Barbera titles are not coming out as often as they used to . . .

Joe:C

Second Unit
At one of the animation chats WB said they would "look into" Thundarr. I haven't heard anything since then.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
It was actually made by Ruby-Spears and not Hanna-Barbera and that may have something to do with its release.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
No, I dont think thats the reason.Ruby Spears Richie Rich segments will be on the richie /scooby hour dvds in May.For Thundarr , Warner is probably still undecided if they should release it or not.I would definitely get it, and while we are at it, how about Pac- Man cartoons ???

David Levine

Supporting Actor
I believe Warner owns the show.

I wonder if they're waiting to see how Space Ghost and Birdman do before they decide on Thundarr and The Herculoids.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
Creator Steve Gerber recently died, he also created Howard the Duck. Here is a link to his blog:

stevegerblog

It is a shame that he could not have been involved with such a release. If ever one comes, I hope a tribute is made.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
YES!!!

Every young kid needs a saturday morning cartoon based on the global apocolypse, rise of monsters, slavery, and evil wizards. I keep waiting for a great scifi movie on this, but I will deal with the DVDs!

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Randy Korstick

Think they will need to re-do the error on the box. Its not a Hanna-Barberra show its a Ruby -Spears show.

True, but HB now has the rights to the show, so it'll be under the HB banner even if it is a Ruby-Spears show. I'm sure that the Spears credits will be intact though.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
A 21-episode cartoon from 1980 with no ties to any existing franchise (ie. Justice League, Scooby Doo, etc.), with no big name voice talent and little more than nostalgia for the people who do want it...and you really think there are enough fans who would run out and buy the set from the store? Enough to justify the cost of pressing discs, shipping to the store and having them sit there until the price budges off the $20 price point? Thundarr may have a cult following, but that's pretty much it. Personally, I'm happy to finally be getting the episodes.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
God, I loved this show when I was a kid. Think I was in Grade School when it was on. Favorite episode: STALKER FROM THE STARS.

I just checked, Warner has it up for pre-order already.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Jason_V

A 21-episode cartoon from 1980 with no ties to any existing franchise (ie. Justice League, Scooby Doo, etc.), with no big name voice talent and little more than nostalgia for the people who do want it.

Well, there have been plenty of series in the past that would fit that description that have gotten releases (not a cartoon, but Ark II, Jason of Star Command, The Ghost Busters, anyone?). True, Thundarr does have a cult following, but I get the feeling that WB either are underestimating interest, or are just wanting to "cheap out" here and make a fast buck (the cynic in me suggests the profit margin on these is probably quite a bit higher than on pressed media. Really, $30 for four burnt discs?). I have a really, really hard time buying a DVD-R of any sort, even from a studio.

While it was only 21 episodes, it ran for at least two seasons. Most Saturday morning shows didn't have a lot of episodes per season (and most had fewer 'new' episodes each additional season they were on the air).

As much play as Thundarr has gotten on Boomerang over the years, and with character design by the legendary Jack Kirby and writing by the likes of Marty Pasko and Mark Evanier, I'm sure there's plenty of cross-over buying potential from comics fans here. I think if they were to promote a release at ComiCon, they'd do quite well. This series might be better remembered than you may think.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Nailwraps

You gotta be fuckin' kidding me.

Damn, and I really wanted this series on DVD too. There's no way I'm laying out thirty bones for some some half-assed, one step above pirated DVD-R. No thanks, Warner.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Ark II and Jason of Star Command both came from Navarre/BCI. I'd assume they have a smaller amount of discs they needed to sell to turn a profit. Plus, remember, Navarre/BCI is out of business. They put out some very good releases, but they overestimated the fanbase for these shows, leading to their closure. I'd love to think Thundarr is going to fly off the (online) shelf. Maybe get a new series or a movie of some kind.

Yeah, I'm disappointed in the $30 price point too. I was expecting something closer to $20. I will probably bite on these discs just because I've been waiting so long for the show. Good think WBShop sent me a $5 coupon over the weekend...

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Jason_V

Ark II and Jason of Star Command both came from Navarre/BCI. I'd assume they have a smaller amount of discs they needed to sell to turn a profit. Plus, remember, Navarre/BCI is out of business. They put out some very good releases, but they overestimated the fanbase for these shows, leading to their closure. I'd love to think Thundarr is going to fly off the (online) shelf. Maybe get a new series or a movie of some kind.

Yeah, I'm disappointed in the $30 price point too. I was expecting something closer to $20. I will probably bite on these discs just because I've been waiting so long for the show. Good think WBShop sent me a $5 coupon over the weekend...

Yes, I'm aware the Filmation shows came from BCI--I helped provide footage, stills, etc. for several of the live-action ones, and I do realise they were a small company and are out of business (though Mill Creek has been re-releasing some of their former product).

Maybe if he's still hanging around here, David Levine can chime in about the overhead/costs and what was needed to turn a profit, but I wonder if WB might have actaully been in a better position to turn a profit. Look at it this way: BCI had to pay licence fees for all the shows they released. WB is the copyright owner of these shows, so it's not like they'd have to pay for the rights to Thundarr: they already own it! I just think they could've done better. It's not the highest-profile cartoon series, but it's not the lowest, either. Perhaps they could've done a limited production run (say, 5-10,000 copies), number them and, I dunno, make them an online or Amazon exclusive for that same $30 price point. I don't see they'd have much of a problem, to be frank.

Anyway, the decision's been made. I have VHS tapes of the episodes from Boomerang, and these DVD-Rs aren't likely to be all that much better in quality, so I'm going to sit this one out. If it is a bigger hit than they think and they release pressed discs later, I'll join the party.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Originally Posted by AndyMcKinney

Yes, I'm aware the Filmation shows came from BCI--I helped provide footage, stills, etc. for several of the live-action ones, and I do realise they were a small company and are out of business (though Mill Creek has been re-releasing some of their former product).

Maybe if he's still hanging around here, David Levine can chime in about the overhead/costs and what was needed to turn a profit, but I wonder if WB might have actaully been in a better position to turn a profit. Look at it this way: BCI had to pay licence fees for all the shows they released. WB is the copyright owner of these shows, so it's not like they'd have to pay for the rights to Thundarr: they already own it! I just think they could've done better. It's not the highest-profile cartoon series, but it's not the lowest, either. Perhaps they could've done a limited production run (say, 5-10,000 copies), number them and, I dunno, make them an online or Amazon exclusive for that same $30 price point. I don't see they'd have much of a problem, to be frank.

Anyway, the decision's been made. I have VHS tapes of the episodes from Boomerang, and these DVD-Rs aren't likely to be all that much better in quality, so I'm going to sit this one out. If it is a bigger hit than they think and they release pressed discs later, I'll join the party.

Seconded!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks