Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Warner's 2008 Blu-Ray lineup

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
57 replies to this topic

#1 of 58 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted February 06 2008 - 12:12 AM

There's a sneak peek at Warner's 2008 Blu-ray slate on the bits.

The article covers Warner's 85th Anniversary plans (mostly SD) so more specific Warner Blu-Ray catalog announcements are forthcoming.

Courtesy of thedigitalbits:

The Digital Bits - Celebrating Film in the Digital Age

Confirmed for BD

Batman Anthology (all 6 films) Q4
Dirty Harry set (all 5 films) Q2
and the usual day/date new films

and lots of BD possibilities on the list such as Heat, Once Upon a Time in America, Cool Hand Luke, True Romance, etc (I'll have to keep my fingers crossed).

The Wizard of Oz, Gone with the Wind, Woodstock and North by Northwest won't be until 2009
Death before Streaming!

#2 of 58 OFFLINE   Patrick.C

Patrick.C

Second Unit

• 447 posts

Posted February 06 2008 - 12:20 AM

I'm glad to see that the SE of Risky Business is still in the works. It was first mentioned here in a Warner HTF chat back in '06. I wonder if Cruise will participate...

#3 of 58 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted February 06 2008 - 01:23 AM

That article was frustratingly short on specifics, but it does sound like we may get a better picture of what's in store on BD from WB shortly:

Quote:
We'll post details about the specific Blu-ray Disc catalog releases planned as part of Warner's 2008 slate soon, so keep checking back. And watch for additional titles to be announced by Warner in the months ahead.

Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#4 of 58 OFFLINE   Reagan

Reagan

Supporting Actor

• 545 posts

Posted February 06 2008 - 01:26 AM

So far I'm not impressed with what was actually announced for 2008. North By Northwest in 2009 is something to look forward (to).

-Reagan
The truth doesn't care whether you believe it.

#5 of 58 OFFLINE   Dale MA

Dale MA

Supporting Actor

• 966 posts

Posted February 06 2008 - 01:39 AM

Nice list! Looking forward to most of those!

Doesn't look like the Sinatra films are coming to Blu which is a shame, but I'll pick them all up on standard def.

Looking forward to American in Paris, How the West was Won, Dirty Harry Series and the Batman releases
(fingers crossed they're multi-regional or else I cannot buy them) on Blu.

Oh, and all of those 2009 releases will be mine. North by Northwest in HD!? I can't wait !!!!

#6 of 58 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,319 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted February 06 2008 - 01:40 AM

Eventhough I don't think Sudden Impact or The Dead Pool are that great, I'll pick up the Dirty Harry set.

#7 of 58 OFFLINE   Son of Nothing

Son of Nothing

Agent

• 33 posts

Posted February 06 2008 - 01:47 AM

I've been waiting for a descent set of Dirty Harry for a long time.

#8 of 58 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,309 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted February 06 2008 - 02:43 AM

It's looking to be a good... and expensive year.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#9 of 58 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted February 06 2008 - 05:26 AM

Dale - Warner does not region code their BDs, so no worries there.

I know the Bits says that the Dirty Harry films are coming in both BD and HD-DVD in Q2, but let's not forget that June is part of Q2, and by then Warner will have stopped releasing HD-DVD.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#10 of 58 OFFLINE   Craig_Ehr

Craig_Ehr

Second Unit

• 327 posts

Posted February 06 2008 - 06:04 AM

Are we getting BD double-dips of 'A Christmas Story' and 'The Searchers' already? You think we're gonna get new transfers/encodes (e.g. 'Xmas' less red and 'Searchers' more red, in addition to higher bitrates)?

#11 of 58 OFFLINE   Brian-W

Brian-W

Screenwriter

• 1,156 posts

Posted February 06 2008 - 06:27 AM

How the West Was Won - awesome...
* No longer looking for Hi-Vision Laserdiscs *
(I buried that format)

www.16cylinder.com
www.jet-x.com

#12 of 58 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted February 06 2008 - 06:28 AM

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to read any reports of this event and walk away with a good sense of what is and what isn't coming to Blu-ray Disc. I think the main reason for this is that the press event itself wasn't geared specifically to promote Blu-ray Disc, but Warner Bros. anniversary instead. Therefore, I am considering it to be a non-event as far as BD is concerned. I'd rather not get my hopes up or waste too much time speculating what will and won't be on BD. I'm sure it will all become clear soon anyway.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#13 of 58 OFFLINE   PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,583 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted February 06 2008 - 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway
Dale - Warner does not region code their BDs, so no worries there.

I know the Bits says that the Dirty Harry films are coming in both BD and HD-DVD in Q2, but let's not forget that June is part of Q2, and by then Warner will have stopped releasing HD-DVD.
IF (note...IF) the Blu-ray is released earlier (as is the new Warner policy), the HD DVD set should be along three weeks later, provided the Blu-ray release is not IN June. But I have no expectations either way.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#14 of 58 OFFLINE   ChrisCook

ChrisCook

Screenwriter

• 1,504 posts

Posted February 06 2008 - 08:09 AM

I'm crossing my fingers that Contact will be one that will be announced.

#15 of 58 OFFLINE   Bradley-E

Bradley-E

Screenwriter

• 1,019 posts

Posted February 06 2008 - 08:54 AM

Now that Warner is down to only one Hi Def format maybe they will get more aggresive with Catalog Titles. Last year they were slacking with mediocore titles like Purple Rain and Out for Justice. I'd like a 25th of THE RIGHT STUFF on BD. Hopefully that will be on its way this year.

#16 of 58 OFFLINE   Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,526 posts

Posted February 06 2008 - 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCook
I'm crossing my fingers that Contact will be one that will be announced.

I'll second that!

HighDefDigest breaks down the releases as:

Quote:
The list of titles previewed at last night's event are as follows (note that the studio stressed that this is not a complete list of planned Blu-ray releases, simply the highlights):

Q2 2008: 'Dirty Harry: Ultimate Collection' (includes 'Dirty Harry,' 'Magnum Force,' 'The Enforcer,' 'Sudden Impact,' 'The Dead Pool' and bonus disc "Clint Eastwood: Out of the Shadows')

Q3 2008: 'Batman Anthology' (includes 'Batman,' 'Batman Returns,' 'Batman Forever,' 'Batman & Robin,' 'Batman Begins'), 'Batman Begins'

Q4 2008: 'Otis: Uncut'

2009: 'Gone with the Wind,' 'North By Northwest,' 'The Wizard of Oz,' 'Woodstock'

2008/2009 Theatrical Releases: '10,000 B.C.,' 'Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince,' 'The Dark Knight,' 'Get Smart,' 'Speed Racer'' and 'Where the Wild Things Are.'

Warner has not released specific street dates or technical specs, but full announcements are expected over the coming months as the studio rolls out its complete 2008/2009 line-up.

DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#17 of 58 OFFLINE   Jarod M

Jarod M

Stunt Coordinator

• 180 posts

Posted February 06 2008 - 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reagan
So far I'm not impressed with what was actually announced for 2008. North By Northwest in 2009 is something to look forward (to).

-Reagan
I am skeptical about the release of North by Northwest in 2009. Doesn't the film need a full restoration? Remember, North by Northwest was filmed in VistaVision. Does anyone have any information about a restoration of North by Northwest by Warner?

#18 of 58 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted February 06 2008 - 11:56 AM

Bill Hunt's latest Bits update says he just had long conversations with Warner reps regarding more titles and should be updating again by early tomorrow morning.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#19 of 58 OFFLINE   Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted February 06 2008 - 01:57 PM

So far, I'm very pleased with some of the titles announced.........Batman, GoodFellas, Heat, True Romance, etc. Posted Image
"If you're good at something, never do it for free."

#20 of 58 OFFLINE   troy evans

troy evans

Screenwriter

• 1,294 posts

Posted February 06 2008 - 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod M
I am skeptical about the release of North by Northwest in 2009. Doesn't the film need a full restoration? Remember, North by Northwest was filmed in VistaVision. Does anyone have any information about a restoration of North by Northwest by Warner?
North by Northwest was restored and released in a 16:9 remastered transfer on dvd in 2004. I own this title and it is nearly flawless. I can only hope the Bluray will knock my socks off to this degree.
" I think it's time we go to plan B". "What's plan B?" "That's the one where we don't do something stupid".

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow