What's new

UPGRADE AVM 20 or get INTEGRA DTC 9.8? (1 Viewer)

Michael_V

Second Unit
I have already gone through the "is trueDD and DTS-HD worth the upgrade?" thread and decided that, for me, it is.

So here goes....

What I have:

PS3 Blu-ray
Anthem AVM 20v1.12
Parasound 1205A 5 channel amp
Paradigm Studio 40s (fronts) and 20s (surrounds) and equivalent center
SVS sub (a 12 inch cube)

What I want:
Lossless audio/new HD audio formats

Options (as far as I can tell):

(1) Upgrade my AVM 20 to an AVM 50 for $2600 + shipping + 1 month wait
(2) Get an Integra DTC 9.8 for $1600 now
(3) Anything else???

My questions are:

(1) Can I even enjoy lossless audio, uncompressed PCM, DTS-HD (MA), DD TrueHD with the PS3 as my source?
(2) Will the Integra match well with my Paradigms?
(3) For another grand, will I love the AVM 50 to death relative to the Integra?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Girish

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
girish
Only way to enjoy lossless PCM 5.1 or 7.1 with a PS3 or any Blu-ray player is through the HDMI audio. Optical output only has bandwidth for uncompressed stereo. That leaves Anthem 20 (upgraded or not) out unfortunately. I just purchased a PS3 last week and only way I can hook it up with my proceed is through optical( That leaves me exactly in the same position as yours!!!).
With HD audio catching up all the high end processors and DVD palyers are getting a lot of hit.
I would look for an HDMI switching processor.
BTW thats a lot of juice for studio 40s as fronts!

Michael_V

Second Unit
Girish,

I believe the AVM upgrade (to AVM 50 for $2600) includes HDMI switching and the ability to receive lossless audio. My concern was whether the PS3 can send it. Thought I read somewhere that it does not?

Thanks!

Girish

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
girish
This is what my info is based on

The Audio Connection

There are three ways of hooking up your PS3 for audio: using RCA cables (red and white), using optical out, and using HDMI. I guess you could consider using a RF cable as a fourth choice, but if anyone has their PS3 hooked up in this method, I will track them down and destroy them.

RCA cables only allow for Dolby Pro Logic, which is what Wii owners will have to enjoy for the next four or five years until the next Nintendo system comes out. It “simulates” having surround sound without actually providing true tracks for each speaker. Some games on the PS3 (actually all of EA’s sports crapola) only support DPL.

Optical out can carry DD5.1 and DTS tracks to your receiver, providing a much clearer, enjoyable sound. I highly recommend using optical cable, as the results are VERY noticeable. Optical only has enough bandwidth for PCM 2.0 uncompressed, resulting in uncompressed stereo sound (stereo? Meh!). To get the full PCM 7.1 experience, you’ll need...

HDMI. This can carry the next gen audio formats such as DTS-HD MA, Dolby True-HD and uncompressed PCM 5.1-7.1 audio at a full bitrate. The only other method of getting these codecs is through analog out, which is not supported by any console on the market today (but is supported by stand alone HD-DVD and Blu-Ray players).

The nice thing about the PS3 is that you can choose to use component for your video out and HDMI for your audio (at least that’s how it should work in theory, as I cannot confirm this for sure).

So, now that you know all that, it’s time to dive into the more confusing part: the different specifications of HDMI.

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor
I'm in the same boat you're in. I have an AVM30, Paradigm 40's, Studio CC, etc. I was ready to sell my AVM30 and pick up the Integra, but the re-sale prices of the AVM30's has fallen quite a bit and I've read about some issues with HDMI video that goes through the Integra. The upgrade for the AVM30 is $2k and I just can't justify spending that. So for now, I'm doing nothing. I like the sound of the Anthem too much to take what I perceive as a step down to the Integra and I can't justify the $2k to upgrade it to the AVM50.

RANDY FISHER

Second Unit
The PS3 can only send PCM, internally decoded Dolby Tru HD and the 1.5mbs DTS HD MA core over the HDMI link as PCM. It can NOT send DD THD or DTS HD MA as a bitstream. The PS3 also does not internally decode DTS HD MA though a firmware upgrade should be able to enable this.

Michael_V

Second Unit
Thanks, for the info, Girish!

Randy, the PS3 sends decoded DD Tru HD and DTS HD MA core over HDMI as PCM. What does this mean for the Integra vs Anthem debate? Does this limitation (?) of the PS3 limit my choices in any important way?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks