Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Integrate MP3s into Home Theater

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 confusedxx

confusedxx

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted February 04 2008 - 06:31 PM

I have loads of MP3s that I have burned to my PC. Now the CDs are stored deep in the cellar and I do not want to have to clutter the living room with CDs again, since they are all on the PC.

I am pretty new to Home Theaters and Hifi and I am trying to build a home cinema now. Is there a way to connect my PC to the home theater system so I can play all the music via the hi-fi system?

A single box would be preferred if it can serve as SAT HD receiver, PVR, MP3 player and stream music and videos. Even playing DVDs to the home theater would be good as well. Then I can reduce the number of boxes sitting in the living room which would make the wife happy too Posted Image

#2 of 3 Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,051 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted February 05 2008 - 01:53 AM

The DirecTV HR20/HR21 DVR's cover your satellite/DVR/music and picture streaming requirement. It will not stream video from a network though. There are dozens of boxes that will though. D-Link and Buffalo are two manufacturers that build networked video players.

And if you want to make the wife happy, get a Harmony remote. It will simplify even the most complex system. Better yet, move all of the equipment to another room and use the Harmony 890's RF ability to control it all. Depending on your equipment and the layout of your home, it could be as simple as running a few wires. Or you could be like me and have almost 1,000 feet of cable between two rooms.

-Robert

#3 of 3 nolesrule

nolesrule

Producer

• 3,084 posts
  • LocationClearwater, FL

Posted February 05 2008 - 06:28 AM

I can't recommend anything as an overall HTPC component, but if you are looking for something to control your music, a PC running SqueezeOS (slimserver) and a Squeezebox client can do what you want and be used on the same PC with other media software (the server is multi-platform and will run on Windows, Mac and Linux). If you have wireless networking, then there are no issues with running cat5 cable from one computer to another.

Check out Transporter & Squeezebox Wireless Network Music Players - Every room deserves a soundtrack

Note, the Duet on their front page is a new product, but the standard squeezebox will work with any learning universal remote...and Harmony Remotes already have it in their setup program so no need to learn anything.