Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

PS3 and High Def via Component?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   Geoff H

Geoff H

Stunt Coordinator

• 64 posts

Posted February 04 2008 - 07:18 AM

Looking for a definitive answer here. Can High Def be achieved with the PS3 through Component? (my tv has no hdmi)

TIA,

Geoff

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh

Screenwriter

• 2,968 posts

Posted February 04 2008 - 07:20 AM

Yes it can.

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   Geoff H

Geoff H

Stunt Coordinator

• 64 posts

Posted February 04 2008 - 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Harbaugh
Yes it can.

Thanks, I realize after I posted that I wasn't specific, I meant High Def when viewing HD movies not games...

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,075 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted February 04 2008 - 08:05 AM

The answer is still yes. The only thing the PS3 cannot do (and the HD DVD players, for that matter) is scale SD DVD up to 1080p via component. That is only available via HDMI. There are some exceptions to this rule (burned discs), but that is the general rule.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,872 posts

Posted February 04 2008 - 08:43 AM

Yep. I just use component output (via the ~$20 breakout cable) for 1080i output to my non-HDMI RPTV -- it doesn't offer 1080p via component out, but that probably won't matter. And like Stephen points out, only thing you cannot get is upconversion for regular DVDs, which is par for the course w/ most any other players whether Blu-ray or HD DVD or regular upconverting DVD players. Oh, it also does not pillar-box 4x3 DVDs via its 480p component out, if that matters to you.

_Man_
Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   Geoff H

Geoff H

Stunt Coordinator

• 64 posts

Posted February 05 2008 - 04:35 AM

Thanks all.

I was of the understanding that the Blu-ray players could not be used via component, (with the exception of PS3) is this incorrect?

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh

Screenwriter

• 2,968 posts

Posted February 05 2008 - 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff H
Thanks all.

I was of the understanding that the Blu-ray players could not be used via component, (with the exception of PS3) is this incorrect?
Yes this is incorrect. All BD and HD players can display an HD image over component. What you are probably thinking of is the ICT (image constraint token) which when used will downrez the image from HD to 540p if displayed over a non HDCP connection. So far this hasn't been used and is in the specs for both HD and BD. It has shown up on a few HD titles over seas, but not in the US. It probably won't be used for another couple years if ever. Personally I think it is the most anticonsumer thing they could put on these discs. It does zero to deter pirating, which is why it was made in the first place, and only hurts the honest consumer trying to watch HD material on their HDTV from a few years ago.

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   Geoff H

Geoff H

Stunt Coordinator

• 64 posts

Posted February 05 2008 - 07:04 AM

Cool.

Thanks for the clarification.

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   y2khardtop

y2khardtop

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted February 05 2008 - 12:52 PM

if movies studios eventually implement HDCP (copy protection), then componenet output will be scaled down to roughly DVD quality, but for now component works great right up to 1080i.

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   alan halvorson

alan halvorson

Screenwriter

• 2,021 posts

Posted February 05 2008 - 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2khardtop
if movies studios eventually implement HDCP (copy protection), then componenet output will be scaled down to roughly DVD quality, but for now component works great right up to 1080i.

HDCP is employed right now. It's the ICT Flag that you're thinking about, which will do what you describe. It's my opinion also that it will never, or rarely, be implemented. Pirates want digital and don't seem to give a hoot about analog.
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
- Napoleon XIV

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   GordoH

GordoH

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted February 07 2008 - 03:23 AM

Good Morning...

I recently bought a PS3 and I have it connected via component. However, my Sony RPTV (which only goes up to 1080i) has a DVI connection and a optical input. Will the PS3 upconvert standard DVDs using the DVI connection?

Thanks in Advance...
Gordon

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   Tom BL

Tom BL

Agent

• 29 posts

Posted February 07 2008 - 07:05 AM

Assuming you'd be using an HDMI-to-DVI connection, then I don't see why not. As long as your TV is HDCP-compliant. Check your user manual to be sure.

Forum Nav Content I Follow