Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Speakers straight to PC, no receiver?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   EricDeB

EricDeB

Stunt Coordinator

• 97 posts

Posted February 03 2008 - 10:35 AM

Hey I got a pair of paradigm atoms, and I have my receiver back home (I'm at college) and was just wondering if there is anyway to hook up my speakers straight to my PC and use my PC as an amplifier? Thanks Eric

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,586 posts

Posted February 03 2008 - 12:15 PM

Since your PC doesn't have an audio amplifier, there is no way to "use it" as an amplifier. You can use the computer as a source, but the signal has to be amplified some way.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin

Producer

• 3,219 posts

Posted February 03 2008 - 02:17 PM

some companies have made amplifiers that fit into the pci slots of your computer. Low powered and not necessarily recommended.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Greg_R

Greg_R

Screenwriter

• 1,998 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted February 04 2008 - 02:01 PM

Go to a pawn shop and pick up a super-cheap 2ch stereo receiver... should cost your $25 or so. John's correct... you'll need an amplifier of some sort.