Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

resident evil Apocalypse

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   michael deakin

michael deakin

Stunt Coordinator

• 186 posts
  • LocationWarrington

Posted February 02 2008 - 02:27 PM

Hi.
I have just purchased the "resident evil" box set. And was wondering why the blu-ray trailer for "apocalypse" which i had seen on another disc is 100% better in picture quality than the disc itself. I have already got the standard version of the movie and their is no difference between the two. If i had known the trailer was a false advertisment for the disc i would have saved my money.
Shame on "sony".
Michael.

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   troy evans

troy evans

Screenwriter

• 1,294 posts

Posted February 02 2008 - 07:39 PM

Micheal, I'm sorry to hear BD "RE:A" isn't living up to your expectations. I feel there is an improvement over the sd version, though. How much of an improvement can be debated. For me, I see a difference in the colors and clarity of some scenes. It seems to jump at me, image wise and the sound, oh my is that ever sweet on this title. Remember, PQ is only part of what makes HD great.
" I think it's time we go to plan B". "What's plan B?" "That's the one where we don't do something stupid".

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   michael deakin

michael deakin

Stunt Coordinator

• 186 posts
  • LocationWarrington

Posted February 03 2008 - 01:45 PM

Hi Troy.
Could you tell me if you have seen the blu-ray trailer for the film. If so you must have noticed the vibrant colors on most of the scenes including the church scene, compaired with the dull and pale look of the standard version has well as my blu-ray disc itself. Either im going color blind or i have a faulty disc.
Regards
Michael.

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Grant H

Grant H

Screenwriter

• 2,844 posts

Posted February 04 2008 - 06:13 AM

Color timing in trailers is often completely different from the films, so it's not a good judge for the video quality fo the film. Look at Blade: Very vibrant colors in the trailers, which completely lack the inentional green cast they added to the film in post production.

I do think REA suffers from the less-than-stellar masters Sony films of that period had, however. Seems a little blue and muddy, even for the style of the film, but I could be wrong. I was disappointed we didn't get a fresh master and new encode for the box set.
My midis bring all the Force to the yard; my midis are better than yours!

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,075 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted February 04 2008 - 07:18 AM

Colour timing is not the only thing that differs in trailers. I remember running the initial trailers for Sky Captain, which were sharper than the finished film and the colour timing was different. This was a textbook example of a film where we would get complaints about the film being out of focus because the look was so soft.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   troy evans

troy evans

Screenwriter

• 1,294 posts

Posted February 04 2008 - 07:51 PM

Duplicate post deleted
" I think it's time we go to plan B". "What's plan B?" "That's the one where we don't do something stupid".

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   troy evans

troy evans

Screenwriter

• 1,294 posts

Posted February 04 2008 - 07:51 PM

Well, it's my understanding that a movie trailer isn't made from the finished film. It's made from several prints/scenes shot for the film. Have you ever noticed sometimes in trailers there are scenes that are not in the film? Three that come to mind are "Reindeer Games", "The Saint" and "Highlander: Endgame". So, when watching a trailer sometimes your looking at an unfinished product compared to the actual filmed master. This is one example as to why a trailer can not be used in any way as an absolute basis for what a film will be. It's not surprising that colors and other various elements may be incorrect as to what the finished film ends up looking like as well. The finished film is what I've always believed was the director's intent, not the trailer. We've all seen a lot of crappy looking trailers that don't represent how good the finished film looks as well, don't forget that.

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   troy evans

troy evans

Screenwriter

• 1,294 posts

Posted February 04 2008 - 07:57 PM

Duplicate post deleted