What's new

List: Lead Roles Where Character is First Introduced From Behind (1 Viewer)

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
I was watching the film The Thin Man the other day and noticed how the lead character of Nick Charles (William Powell) is introduced to the audience from behind. He is first seen shaking a martini shaker in long view and then the camera comes up directly behind him for a close-up through the crowd.

That got me to thinking about how effective and likeable I find this device and got me thinking about other films which took advantage of this to introduce the lead character (male of female). I then thought of:

Indiana Jones
James Bond
T.R. Devlin (Cary Grant) in Notorious. Also, certainly one of the longest uses of the device as we see the back of his head for quite a while.

So, what other notable lead roles can you add to the list?

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

I didn't read the post closely enough to see that he specified "lead" character. He was a mean motherf***er, though, so that's gotta count for something. ;)

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Scarlett Johansson has one of the best "behind" introductions of all time as "Charlotte" in Lost in Translation. :D

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Which means no lead character. Heck, even among the "lead ensemble" actors, Marcellus was secondary. The "leads" were Samuel L. Jackson - even if the Academy only nominated him for Best Supporting Actor - Travolta and Bruce Willis. Everyone else was supporting...

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Though, as Morpheus, Laurence Fishburne only received second billing, the first time he is seen in The Matrix is from behind.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich

True that.

I thought of another protagonist, Guido Anselmi (Marcello Mastroianni) in the film, 8 1/2. Even though he is featured from the get-go, we don't see his face until the five minute mark, when he gets up from being examined by a doctor.

Casey Neutron

Stunt Coordinator
Harvey Keitel in MEAN STREETS. (Keitel is also introduced from behind in a supporting role in PULP FICTION).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks