Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Use of military personel/equipment in movies...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,934 posts

Posted January 30 2008 - 05:06 AM

I know movies use personel and equipment in some movies. Just curious as to what the procedure is for their use? Costs and what are they allowed?
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Michael Harris

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

• 1,344 posts

Posted January 30 2008 - 05:55 AM

Basically the DoD allows use of their equipment, personnel, and facilities so long as the movie or TV show generally shows the military in generally good light. Normally the production company has to have the script vetted to ensure that it will pass muster. As for cost, it depends. For example giving permission to shoot on location on an Air Force base to film planes taking off and landing isn't going to cost much because that kind of activity happens all the time. But, any special requests have to be covered by the production company. Of course, the military is famous for fuzzy accounting, just like Hollywood. In some ways, I think the military cooperates because it is just like product placement, positive exposure is good and they can justify it by saying that it enhances recruiting.

Here is a DoD press release regarding Air Force cooperation for the film "Iron Man". DefenseLink News Article: Edwards Team Stars in ‘Ironman’ Superhero Movie

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted January 30 2008 - 02:31 PM

I know that Michael Bay is allowed to use military equipment because the military likes how he portrays what they do on-screen. Or so he has said in interviews and the commentary track on Transformers.
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,996 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted January 31 2008 - 12:50 AM

Michael has it correct. This became a big deal in 1986 when the military consented to support Top Gun, and it did wonders for their recruiting. but the military did require changing Charlie from an enlisted sailor or another pilot to a civilian instructor.

The script and how it paints the military are critical to determining if the military will cooperate. Some movies have workarounds, and some directors have good relationships (again, Bay is famous for this). The production usually "rents" the platforms being used and they also pay for the fuel (a True Lies bit once talked about how much the Harriers were per hour - it was in the thousands of course). I don't believe the productions get ordinance. You got to make that work with special effects or use existing footage.
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   Jeff_CusBlues

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor

• 605 posts

Posted January 31 2008 - 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Mayer
I don't believe the productions get ordinance. You got to make that work with special effects or use existing footage.

The correct spelling (and pronunciation) is "ordnance".

Sorry to be picky. I made this mistake when I first started writing design documents in my company's ordnance design group. People who have designed and/or worked with ordnance in their careers actually get picky about this.

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,996 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted January 31 2008 - 05:34 AM

See, when it's a torpedo, it's not ordnance or ordinance (a legal term). It's just a weapon Posted Image
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,330 posts

Posted January 31 2008 - 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Mayer
The script and how it paints the military are critical to determining if the military will cooperate.
IIRC, Crimson Tide was one instance where DoD declined to cooperate, no doubt because the conflict between captain and XO over launch of nuclear weapons was not something they liked seeing. As to how the producers worked around it, I dunno -- stock footage?

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted February 01 2008 - 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yee-Ming
IIRC, Crimson Tide was one instance where DoD declined to cooperate, no doubt because the conflict between captain and XO over launch of nuclear weapons was not something they liked seeing. As to how the producers worked around it, I dunno -- stock footage?

They had a boat and helicopter hang out outside one of the submarine bases and waited around until a sub came out and they just followed it until it submerged (which isn't something that would really go over real well these days).

IIRC, they actually filmed that scene in Hawaii so they lucked out on getting a boomer since they aren't home ported there.

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   Dave_Brown

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor

• 666 posts

Posted February 01 2008 - 04:42 AM

I believe there was a disclaimer at the end of Hot Shots! about how they wish to acknowledge the complete lack of assistance by the military community or something like that. Not sure why, from my seven years in the service I'd say that portrayed it in a pretty accurate light.... Posted Image

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter

• 1,105 posts

Posted February 02 2008 - 06:04 AM

Back in the mid-90s' I did movie reviews for the Navy for the weekly video magazine "Navy News This Week," and I remember putting together a review of "Down Periscope." Although the folks in the sub community LOVED the movie, the review was never aired because the movie showed authority figures in a bad light.

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   Diallo B

Diallo B

Screenwriter

• 1,076 posts

Posted February 08 2008 - 01:29 PM

on the special features disc of the transformers hd-dvd set they have a pretty good piece on how the military is used in movies.

i thought it informative and worth checking out if you have that media.
listen with your own ears...
watch with your own eyes...
make your own decision.

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh

Screenwriter

• 2,968 posts

Posted February 08 2008 - 03:29 PM

I remember Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin talking about trying to get military support for Independence Day. They were all on board until they read the part about Area 51 and declined to help.

Forum Nav Content I Follow