What's new

DVD Player/DVR and Blu-Ray vs. HD (1 Viewer)

jcampagna42

Auditioning
Real Name
joe campagna
I just purchased a 50" panny plasma and now need to upgrade the other components.
Blu-Ray seems to be winning the format war, so a Blu-Ray DVD player is on the list. I know some players can handle both formats, so maybe get a unit that can play both?
I also want a DVR, but I don't want to go the TIVO route or rent a DVR from Comcast.
Does anyone make a Blu-Ray/HD player that also records?
Or, would it be better/easier to have separate components?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Sounds like you actually need a HTPC, if you want all those things combined in one box. Even then, I'm not sure it would satisfy all your wants...

_Man_

jlefevre

Grip
Real Name
James LeFevre
If you want to time shift HD content, you must use the DVR box from the cable company or Direct TV or whoever. There is no way to record HD off the air onto any media, even with computers, and play it back later without the cable company or Direct tv box. This is due to the DRM built into the HD streams. Until and If DRM goes away no one will build a home HD recorder due to potential lawsuits. The technology exists, unfortunatly so do the laywers. Buy the Blue Ray player and enjoy. Get the cable DVR box if you have to time shift HD content. If you can stand to watch SD on an HD set (and after watching HD for awhile you won't be able to stand it) then you can record SD at s-video ntcs resolutions with a s-vhs deck or on a computer. If you want to time shift HD from an off air antenna then you can do that with a computer. I use a Mac Mini and Elgato to do that. But that is non DRM stuff as it is OFF AIR digital.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks