What's new

A question of sound files on a Mac (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Okay....so I am really excited because (and it took me long enough)
I just realized that if I keep my APPLE MAIL minimized, it will check
mail every minute and play a sound whenever new mail arrives. It
also puts a number of emails that have arrived in the dock icon.

I hate the default alert sounds that come with Mac.

I want the famous AOL "You Got Mail" to play every time a new
email message arrives.

I can easily find a .WAV version of it but as I understand it, Mac
will not play a .WAV file.

What version must a sound file be converted to in order to play
on a Mac? Can you recommend a good sound converter program?

Thanks in advance!

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Ron, should be able to play a .wav file okay if it was created with a codec the Mac can decode. To add it as a sound in Mail.app, go to the Mail menu and select Preferences... Click on the General button and then cick on the pulldown menu next to New mail sound and select Add/Remove... Click the little Add button at the bottom and navigate to the sound file you want to use. Highlight it and click Open. Click Done when finished and select the new sound file as your new alert. The files are kept in ~/Library/Sounds/ That's the long way. :D The short way is to just drag the file to ~/Library/Sounds :)

As a note, I composed this reply on the train and before I could hit the Submit button, I realized we were pulling into my station. In my rush to get my coat on, the MacBook Pro slipped off my lap and landed face down on the floor. I got home, expecting the LCD to be cracked, but alas, it seems none the worse for wear. :emoji_thumbsup:

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
On another forum I visit, a guy was talking about how he backed over his MBP with his Corvette. Everything still works :)

CJ

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Haha that's funny. I have a story from about 7-8 years ago. The business school I used to work at was one of the first to require laptop purchases for their incoming MBAs. The CS department always recommended IBM Thinkpads at the time because they were the sturdiest and had the lowest fail rate. I was good friends with guys in the CS department.

They tell me the story of one MBA student who, while driving, kept hearing this sliding sound on his roof, followed by a "THUNK" every time he made a turn. He goes about 6 blocks from his house before he realizes "Oh s@#t that's my laptop up there!" (it's hitting the sides of the equipment rack on top of his SUV). He slams on the brakes and his laptop goes flying and lands on his hood.

Took it in to CS...everything was working.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks