Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Statement concerning THE LAST EMPEROR (Criterion Collection)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
313 replies to this topic

#1 of 314 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,924 posts

Posted January 29 2008 - 02:34 AM

Written by the set’s producer Kim Hendrickson with a quote from Bertolucci, this recently posted to the “ON FIVE” blog on www.criterion.com.

We've received a number of letters recently inquiring about the various versions of Bernardo Bertolucci's The Last Emperor. I've been immersed in the film for several months now and wanted to clarify a few misconceptions.

When I started working on the project, I began with the assumption that we would be releasing both versions of the film--the original theatrical version (165 minutes, on the NTSC version) and the "director's cut" (218 minutes, NTSC). Knowing that mastering would be the first step in the process, I reached out to the cinematographer, Vittorio Storaro, as we wanted him to be involved in a new HD transfer of the film for our release. He wrote back right away, mentioning that he had supervised a 2K transfer of the film in Rome a year or so back. I had accumulated the various European DVD releases of the film--all of which featured both versions--so I asked him which version he had transferred. His response was surprising. He said that the director-approved version of the film (and the one he supervised) was the one we all knew from seeing it screened in theaters in 1987--the 165-minute version.

Not long after we began corresponding, Storaro came to New York, and when we met he explained the story behind the two different cuts. The filmmakers had been required to deliver a four-hour television version as part of their original deal. They delivered four 50-plus-minute episodes, accounting for the 218-minute length. Gabriella Cristiani, the editor, and Bertolucci then continued editing until they had the picture they wanted. The film screened in movie theaters in 1987--and which swept the Oscars--is Bertolucci's final cut.

Because we wanted this to be a "director-approved" release, I contacted Bertolucci, and he confirmed the above with the following response, which I cherish:

"I would be very pleased to present the theatrical version for The Last Emperor, but I'm perplexed on presenting the director's cut, because I wouldn't know what else to say about a version that in my opinion is not much different from the other one, just a little bit more boring (as very often the director's cut can be). That's my sincere feeling."

It seems that in the past few years, the television version has been improperly marketed as the approved "director's cut." Our four-disc edition will also include this longer version, which is fascinating in its own right, but it will be called precisely what it is--the television version. In the past, we've released television versions of films (Fanny and Alexander and Scenes from a Marriage, to name two) that were the directors' preferred cuts. In this case, we wanted to show the alternative--the different ways a director can refine and achieve his final vision.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 314 PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,575 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted January 29 2008 - 02:56 AM

The assumption, at least among the general public, seems to be that the "Director's Cut" is always the LONGER version, when available. I'm glad you're able to illustrate this is not always the case. The same applies for Ridley Scott's extended Gladiator (he specifically states in the introduction that the theatrical cut is his "director's cut") and I believe the same applies to the LOTR theatrical cuts (I'm pretty sure I've seen such a comment attributed to Peter Jackson, though I'm not certain).

In any event, it is always enjoyable to get this kind of information and I look forward to adding this to my collection.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#3 of 314 Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,103 posts

Posted January 29 2008 - 08:57 AM

This is one case, however, where I very strongly feel that the longer cut is the better one. The theatrical version felt slimmed down to me, as if something was missing. I'm glad both will be present but I can't imagine choosing the shorter one over the far more immersive longer one, which is the one that sold me on a film I had previously only respected, and that only begrudgingly. (Per Bertolucci, I thought it was boring.)

#4 of 314 Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,521 posts

Posted January 29 2008 - 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulDA
In any event, it is always enjoyable to get this kind of information and I look forward to adding this to my collection.

My thoughts exactly. This is the reason that I so cherish the work that Criterion puts forward with their releases. They take the time to talk to those involved with the film, they don't pander to the "super special ultimate edition" mentality and they present their films with some truly great DVD releases. I've had this title on pre-order for quite a while and am very eager to watch it.
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#5 of 314 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,806 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted January 29 2008 - 03:29 PM

This could be in the running for one of 2008's "releases of the year."

I am very much looking forward to this.

Of course I wish it were being released on Blu-ray. Or, that at least the re-mastered SD-version also had a less-expensive theatrical-cut-only release to hold me over so that I wouldn't feel so bad when I want to double-dip on the eventual HD release. Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#6 of 314 Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,456 posts
  • LocationBlairsville, GA, USA

Posted January 29 2008 - 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon
This could be in the running for one of 2008's "releases of the year."

I am very much looking forward to this.

Of course I wish it were being released on Blu-ray. Or, that at least the re-mastered SD-version also had a less-expensive theatrical-cut-only release to hold me over so that I wouldn't feel so bad when I want to double-dip on the eventual HD release. Posted Image

Isn't Image supposed to come out with a stripped down movie-only DVD around the same time? They had a deal worked out with the Recorded Picture Company so that Criterion would do the all-out ultimate edition for several films while Image would release remastered movie-only versions.

#7 of 314 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,806 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted January 29 2008 - 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McCart
Isn't Image supposed to come out with a stripped down movie-only DVD around the same time? They had a deal worked out with the Recorded Picture Company so that Criterion would do the all-out ultimate edition for several films while Image would release remastered movie-only versions.

Gee, Patrick...that sounds like it might be just-the-right-thing for me. But, I only see the Criterion 4-discer listed at Amazon right now.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#8 of 314 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Lead Actor

• 7,321 posts

Posted January 30 2008 - 12:30 AM

I've always personally preferred the longer cut as a more cohesive and satisfying experience. The two seem quite different and I'm pleased that both will be presented albeit in SD at this point, and not HD, where this film will shine.

Just as importantly, kudos to Criterion's Kim Hendrickson for doing the research and, in what has become SOP for Criterion, getting to the heart of the matter, and thereby "printing the truth."

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#9 of 314 JulianK

JulianK

Supporting Actor

• 844 posts

Posted January 30 2008 - 06:34 AM

Quote:
Of course I wish it were being released on Blu-ray.

I second that. It's about time Criterion got off the fence.

I'm trying not to buy any SD movies any more, and certainly not titles like this, where I already have a pretty good edition on DVD (the UK two-disc set), and where it would definitely be a title I'd buy in HD if it was available.

#10 of 314 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,386 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted January 30 2008 - 07:08 AM

I third that. Any word from Criterion on BD? I'll be first (or, I guess, third) in line for this one when that happens.

But I'm not investing any more money in SD sets at this point.
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#11 of 314 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,806 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted January 30 2008 - 08:07 AM

But I don't have a decent SD version of it...and who knows how long it'll take Criterion to start issuing HD material? And, once they do...how long before The Last Emperor gets an HD release?

I MAY have to bite the bullet on this one...and then eschew the HD version.

#12 of 314 cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,022 posts

Posted January 30 2008 - 08:40 AM

Quote:
I MAY have to bite the bullet on this one...and then eschew the HD version.

If HD is so important to you that you'd consider skipping the SD-only release, why wouldn't you spend a few extra bones to upgrade to an HD version should one become available?

#13 of 314 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,806 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted January 30 2008 - 08:47 AM

Because I'm not made of money.

What I'm saying is: if I thought an HD version of the film (even just the theatrical release) was coming out, I'd wait for that and NOT buy the 4-disc Criterion. If there's probably no hope for an HD version anytime soon, I'll get the SD and say I'm done.

$42 (amazon) is a sizable investment for me towards one movie. I wouldn't want to spend that and then drop another $20/$30(?) on an HD version.

That's why I was inquiring about a cheaper SD version of the re-master...after which I wouldn't feel so "awful" about upgrading to HD. Posted Image

Or did I not understand your question?

#14 of 314 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,073 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted January 30 2008 - 09:25 AM

Who did Criterion license the film from? The previous OOP release was from Artisan, so one would think they got it from Lionsgate.

If that's the case, it begs the question - would Lionsgate out-source a HD version?

That's the other problem with Criterion going HD - getting the rights to do it for the films they've licensed from major studios such as Paramount, Universal, Disney and Fox. Disney's BD release of The Rock is the perfect example of this, though it fortunately has most of the Criterion extras.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#15 of 314 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,806 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted January 30 2008 - 11:17 AM

Quote:
Because I'm not made of money.

That's why I was inquiring about a cheaper SD version of the re-master...after which I wouldn't feel so "awful" about upgrading to HD. Posted Image

I was just thinking some more about this.

I guess an example on the other side of this is El Cid. Since I am going to be able to pick up El Cid for <$20 I won't mind (possibly) upgrading to an HD version down-the-road. The only problem with this example is that I know how much I like The Last Emperor and El Cid is going to be a blind buy.

#16 of 314 Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,456 posts
  • LocationBlairsville, GA, USA

Posted January 30 2008 - 11:25 AM

Artisan only had video rights on lease from Jeremy Thomas and his production studio (Recorded Pictures Company). The Hit, Insignificance, and Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence were also included in the package. So, Criterion is dealing directly with the producer.

However, Criterion licensed Kicking and Screaming from Lionsgate.

#17 of 314 Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,521 posts

Posted January 31 2008 - 12:57 AM

Quote:
$42 (amazon) is a sizable investment for me towards one movie. I wouldn't want to spend that and then drop another $20/$30(?) on an HD version.

I only hope that HD versions from Criterion are that cheap. Criterion does carry a premium with respect to their SD releases and I imagine the same will be true for any HD releases. But I'm all too happy to pay that higher price because you know its going to be a quality release.
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#18 of 314 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,806 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted January 31 2008 - 01:24 AM

Excellent point, Chris. I guess I used that pricepoint range because that's what it is now for most HD releases. I wasn't building-in the "Criterion bump" (which I certainly have no problem with either). I wonder what their pricepoint will be for their eventual HD releases.

Of course, it only exacerbates my earlier point: do I spend the $42 bucks now (or maybe wait for the next Deep Discount sale! Posted Image ) or wait for a BD release?

It would be nice if Criterion would do for The Last Emperor what it did for Brazil...that is, a one disc release of the film alongside the full-blown 3-disc release.

So, this is a definite "one or the other" proposition for me. I will probably opt for the SD release...not knowing how long it might be before that HD transfer makes it to disc. Posted Image

#19 of 314 Martin Teller

Martin Teller

Screenwriter

• 2,414 posts

Posted January 31 2008 - 03:30 AM

If and when they release it in hi-def, I hope they'll use the original aspect ratio, instead of letting Storaro butcher it.

#20 of 314 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,073 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted January 31 2008 - 04:04 AM

Bertolucci has also signed off on the "butchering" of the presentation, so I highly doubt that will change with a HD version.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow