What's new

Fall of the Roman Empire to be released on April 29 (1 Viewer)

R-T-C Tim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Young
Did I also read that Quo Valdis was due out, or did someone get the two mixed up?

kenNew

Stunt Coordinator
I really hope the story of this being delayed for 6 months (and 55 Days at Peking for a year) are incorrect.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
While I hope the stories of delays are erroneous too, I want these films done right ... a first class job all the way and if it's going to take another 6 months to a year to get them done right, so be it. I've waited this long, I can wait a while longer.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Maybe they found a better print or extras. The running time is listed as 179 minutes on Amazon.com. It should be 188. I hope it's the full 2.76:1 Ultra Panavision frame shown on the DVD. I know it was probably never shown that way - 2.2:1 for 70mm prints and 2.35:1 for 35mm prints but, I would still like it.

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
In another thread, it appears that the newly released 'El Cid' is technically disappointing. Maybe they've realised that they need to do more work to avoid similar results on this one. If so, it's good that they've decided to go the extra mile.

PatrickDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Patrick
I hope they've found a better print for "Fall of the Roman Empire" because
my DVD-R copy of a VHS copy of the LASERDISC version of "FOTRE" looks
better than the CURRENT region 1 DVD of "El Cid."

I don't mind waiting another five or six months for a better transfer. I've
wanted the film on DVD since 1997, a few more months isn't going to kill
me!!!!

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Has anyone seen A Dandy in Aspic? It is out on Region 2. Is it worth getting? I recently watched the Region 2 of Heroes of Telemark which I really liked. It seems that Mann was at the top of his game even into the mid 1960s.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I saw this on TCM a while back and liked it, even if it was a bit long. I'm sort of hoping they go for 2.35:1 or 2.55:1 since 2.76:1 really isn't necessary for DVD when it was mostly shown at narrower aspect ratios. TCM's print looked like 2.35:1 and I didn't see any problems with framing.

Yeah, right. It doesn't have the snap a large format film printed in Technicolor should have, but it still looks at least like a decent 1960s 35mm Panavision film. Is the absurd hyperbole really necessary?

El Cid really doesn't look that bad... not outstanding, but above average at best.

AdrianTurner

BANNED
Real Name
Adrian Turner
Over on another Forum, Samuel Bronston's son, William, claims they have discovered 30 minutes of unreleased footage from Roman Empire which William saw in rough-cut form. This might explain the sudden delay in releasing Roman Empire.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille

The comparison shots at dvdbeaver.com look the same to me except for better color on the recent version. In the first comparison frames there is red bleeding around the faces of the guys on the right on the new version that is not there on the old version. One exception is the next to last frame comparison where the new version does look at lot better.

PatrickDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Patrick
Anthony Mann actually filmed the "Rome burning" sequence on
"Quo V."

Trust me, my DVD-R copy of a VHS copy of the Image Entertainment
laserdisc release of "FOTRE" looks better than the current "El Cid" DVD.
It isn't hyperbole!

Simon Lewis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Simon Lewis

I recently saw the UK R2 version. Picture is 2.35:1 anamorphic and picture is very good.

Halliwells Film Guide says "muddled, pretentious spy thriller, flat, nebulous and boring".

I think its better than that. It is rather slow and without much action, but its still watchable and the location work is very good.

Apparently Anthony Mann died during shooting and Laurence Harvey took over directing.

Also the title is a mistake. I havn't a clue what it means.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I think that the title basically means "a man out of his depth" or a "fish out of water". "Dandy" meaning a an overly-dressed, effete gentleman and "aspic" is a congeled meat and vegetable dish. A weird title indeed, but not entirely nonsensical! It's a damn good film, I feel - Christopher Challis' cinematography is astounding with shades of Otto Heller and Sidney Furie's audacious stylings on The Ipcress File. I'd love to finally see Furie's, The Naked Runner (1967, also shot by Heller in Techniscope) starring Sinatra, which, apparently, also features overtly sophisticated camera set-ups.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
I really like Ipcress File, so if it is anything like that then Dandy in Aspic may be at least interesting.

I was hoping that The Naked Runner would be included in one of the Sinatra sets. I agree with you that Heller and Furie's use of Techniscope is outstanding in Ipcress file. Obviously it is a very exaggerated style, but it acheives interesting affects that were then very novel. Furie also used Techniscope for The Appaloosa which is out on a good quality DVD in the Universal Brando Collection.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Quite agree with Gordon (and it's been a long, long time, but I recall 'The Naked Runner' as being an excellent film; I'd love to see it again), though, given his description. I'm not tempted to nip round his gaff for anything in aspic. Not even larks' tongues. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks