-

Jump to content



Photo

Fall of the Roman Empire to be released on April 29


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
253 replies to this topic

#1 of 254 flagbrothers

flagbrothers

    Stunt Coordinator

  • 98 posts
  • Join Date: Mar 14 2007

Posted January 28 2008 - 11:53 PM

Just found this out at DVDBeaver.com. Can't wait.

#2 of 254 R-T-C Tim

R-T-C Tim

    Stunt Coordinator

  • 192 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 26 2006

Posted January 29 2008 - 06:39 AM

Did I also read that Quo Valdis was due out, or did someone get the two mixed up?
Mondo Esoterica.net - From the Wild West to Gothic Europe...

#3 of 254 Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty

    Screenwriter

  • 2,095 posts
  • Join Date: Jun 06 1999

Posted January 29 2008 - 06:58 AM

Bad news. Glenn Erickson's DVD Savant column says that this has been pushed back to the fall.

DVD Savant, Glenn Erickson's Review Column at DVD Talk

#4 of 254 kenNew

kenNew

    Stunt Coordinator

  • 79 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 22 2006

Posted January 29 2008 - 09:16 AM

I really hope the story of this being delayed for 6 months (and 55 Days at Peking for a year) are incorrect.

#5 of 254 Thomas T

Thomas T

    Screenwriter

  • 2,219 posts
  • Join Date: Sep 30 2001

Posted January 29 2008 - 11:03 AM

While I hope the stories of delays are erroneous too, I want these films done right ... a first class job all the way and if it's going to take another 6 months to a year to get them done right, so be it. I've waited this long, I can wait a while longer.

#6 of 254 RolandL

RolandL

    Screenwriter

  • 2,281 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 11 2001
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted January 29 2008 - 12:44 PM

Maybe they found a better print or extras. The running time is listed as 179 minutes on Amazon.com. It should be 188. I hope it's the full 2.76:1 Ultra Panavision frame shown on the DVD. I know it was probably never shown that way - 2.2:1 for 70mm prints and 2.35:1 for 35mm prints but, I would still like it.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

 


#7 of 254 Bruce Morrison

Bruce Morrison

    Supporting Actor

  • 533 posts
  • Join Date: May 16 2001

Posted January 30 2008 - 05:53 AM

In another thread, it appears that the newly released 'El Cid' is technically disappointing. Maybe they've realised that they need to do more work to avoid similar results on this one. If so, it's good that they've decided to go the extra mile.
Bruce Morrison

#8 of 254 PatrickDA

PatrickDA

    Stunt Coordinator

  • 193 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 27 2005

Posted January 30 2008 - 04:20 PM

I hope they've found a better print for "Fall of the Roman Empire" because
my DVD-R copy of a VHS copy of the LASERDISC version of "FOTRE" looks
better than the CURRENT region 1 DVD of "El Cid."

I don't mind waiting another five or six months for a better transfer. I've
wanted the film on DVD since 1997, a few more months isn't going to kill
me!!!!

#9 of 254 Simon Howson

Simon Howson

    Screenwriter

  • 1,779 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 18 2004

Posted January 30 2008 - 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Morrison
In another thread, it appears that the newly released 'El Cid' is technically disappointing. Maybe they've realised that they need to do more work to avoid similar results on this one. If so, it's good that they've decided to go the extra mile.
I think it is acceptable. It is just disappointing that they didn't go back to the negative. But of course that would mean hundreds of thousands of dollars of additional expense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickDA
I hope they've found a better print for "Fall of the Roman Empire" because
my DVD-R copy of a VHS copy of the LASERDISC version of "FOTRE" looks
better than the CURRENT region 1 DVD of "El Cid."

I don't mind waiting another five or six months for a better transfer. I've
wanted the film on DVD since 1997, a few more months isn't going to kill
me!!!!
Has anyone seen A Dandy in Aspic? It is out on Region 2. Is it worth getting? I recently watched the Region 2 of Heroes of Telemark which I really liked. It seems that Mann was at the top of his game even into the mid 1960s.

#10 of 254 Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

    Lead Actor

  • 7,469 posts
  • Join Date: May 16 2001
  • Real Name:Patrick McCart
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted January 30 2008 - 07:26 PM

I saw this on TCM a while back and liked it, even if it was a bit long. I'm sort of hoping they go for 2.35:1 or 2.55:1 since 2.76:1 really isn't necessary for DVD when it was mostly shown at narrower aspect ratios. TCM's print looked like 2.35:1 and I didn't see any problems with framing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickDA
I hope they've found a better print for "Fall of the Roman Empire" because
my DVD-R copy of a VHS copy of the LASERDISC version of "FOTRE" looks
better than the CURRENT region 1 DVD of "El Cid."

Yeah, right. It doesn't have the snap a large format film printed in Technicolor should have, but it still looks at least like a decent 1960s 35mm Panavision film. Is the absurd hyperbole really necessary?

El Cid really doesn't look that bad... not outstanding, but above average at best.

#11 of 254 AdrianTurner

AdrianTurner

    Second Unit

  • 377 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 05 2007

Posted January 30 2008 - 07:42 PM

Over on another Forum, Samuel Bronston's son, William, claims they have discovered 30 minutes of unreleased footage from Roman Empire which William saw in rough-cut form. This might explain the sudden delay in releasing Roman Empire.

#12 of 254 John Hodson

John Hodson

    Producer

  • 4,448 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 14 2003
  • Real Name:John
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted January 30 2008 - 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-T-C Tim
Did I also read that Quo Valdis was due out, or did someone get the two mixed up?

That's just a mix-up Tim; Amazon has it listed as coming soon, but it's not Warners official release - looks like a DVD of far eastern origin.
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...


#13 of 254 RolandL

RolandL

    Screenwriter

  • 2,281 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 11 2001
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted January 31 2008 - 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickDA
I hope they've found a better print for "Fall of the Roman Empire" because
my DVD-R copy of a VHS copy of the LASERDISC version of "FOTRE" looks
better than the CURRENT region 1 DVD of "El Cid."

I don't mind waiting another five or six months for a better transfer. I've
wanted the film on DVD since 1997, a few more months isn't going to kill
me!!!!

The comparison shots at dvdbeaver.com look the same to me except for better color on the recent version. In the first comparison frames there is red bleeding around the faces of the guys on the right on the new version that is not there on the old version. One exception is the next to last frame comparison where the new version does look at lot better.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

 


#14 of 254 PatrickDA

PatrickDA

    Stunt Coordinator

  • 193 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 27 2005

Posted January 31 2008 - 10:21 AM

Anthony Mann actually filmed the "Rome burning" sequence on
"Quo V."

Trust me, my DVD-R copy of a VHS copy of the Image Entertainment
laserdisc release of "FOTRE" looks better than the current "El Cid" DVD.
It isn't hyperbole!

#15 of 254 Simon Lewis

Simon Lewis

    Stunt Coordinator

  • 61 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 08 2007

Posted February 02 2008 - 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Howson
Has anyone seen A Dandy in Aspic? It is out on Region 2. Is it worth getting?

I recently saw the UK R2 version. Picture is 2.35:1 anamorphic and picture is very good.

Halliwells Film Guide says "muddled, pretentious spy thriller, flat, nebulous and boring".

I think its better than that. It is rather slow and without much action, but its still watchable and the location work is very good.

Apparently Anthony Mann died during shooting and Laurence Harvey took over directing.

Also the title is a mistake. I havn't a clue what it means.

#16 of 254 Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

    Producer

  • 3,530 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 03 2002

Posted February 02 2008 - 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Lewis
I recently saw the UK R2 version. Picture is 2.35:1 anamorphic and picture is very good.

Halliwells Film Guide says "muddled, pretentious spy thriller, flat, nebulous and boring".

I think its better than that. It is rather slow and without much action, but its still watchable and the location work is very good.

Apparently Anthony Mann died during shooting and Laurence Harvey took over directing.

Also the title is a mistake. I havn't a clue what it means.
I think that the title basically means "a man out of his depth" or a "fish out of water". "Dandy" meaning a an overly-dressed, effete gentleman and "aspic" is a congeled meat and vegetable dish. A weird title indeed, but not entirely nonsensical! It's a damn good film, I feel - Christopher Challis' cinematography is astounding with shades of Otto Heller and Sidney Furie's audacious stylings on The Ipcress File. I'd love to finally see Furie's, The Naked Runner (1967, also shot by Heller in Techniscope) starring Sinatra, which, apparently, also features overtly sophisticated camera set-ups.

#17 of 254 RolandL

RolandL

    Screenwriter

  • 2,281 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 11 2001
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted February 07 2008 - 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianTurner
Over on another Forum, Samuel Bronston's son, William, claims they have discovered 30 minutes of unreleased footage from Roman Empire which William saw in rough-cut form. This might explain the sudden delay in releasing Roman Empire.

Now there is no delay - DVD Savant: January 2008 Archives . I hope the extra 30 minutes will be on the DVD though.

CD Universe has two versions coming out on 4/29 - Fal Of The Roman Empire DVD movie

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

 


#18 of 254 Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

    Producer

  • 3,320 posts
  • Join Date: May 07 2001

Posted February 14 2008 - 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandL
CD Universe has two versions coming out on 4/29 - Fal Of The Roman Empire DVD movie
Who's "Fal"???
JJ
Thanks for the link.
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#19 of 254 Simon Howson

Simon Howson

    Screenwriter

  • 1,779 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 18 2004

Posted February 14 2008 - 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon McMurphy
I think that the title basically means "a man out of his depth" or a "fish out of water". "Dandy" meaning a an overly-dressed, effete gentleman and "aspic" is a congeled meat and vegetable dish. A weird title indeed, but not entirely nonsensical! It's a damn good film, I feel - Christopher Challis' cinematography is astounding with shades of Otto Heller and Sidney Furie's audacious stylings on The Ipcress File. I'd love to finally see Furie's, The Naked Runner (1967, also shot by Heller in Techniscope) starring Sinatra, which, apparently, also features overtly sophisticated camera set-ups.
I really like Ipcress File, so if it is anything like that then Dandy in Aspic may be at least interesting.

I was hoping that The Naked Runner would be included in one of the Sinatra sets. I agree with you that Heller and Furie's use of Techniscope is outstanding in Ipcress file. Obviously it is a very exaggerated style, but it acheives interesting affects that were then very novel. Furie also used Techniscope for The Appaloosa which is out on a good quality DVD in the Universal Brando Collection.

#20 of 254 John Hodson

John Hodson

    Producer

  • 4,448 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 14 2003
  • Real Name:John
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted February 14 2008 - 08:35 PM

Quite agree with Gordon (and it's been a long, long time, but I recall 'The Naked Runner' as being an excellent film; I'd love to see it again), though, given his description. I'm not tempted to nip round his gaff for anything in aspic. Not even larks' tongues. Posted Image
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...



Back to DVD



Forum Nav Content I Follow