What's new

How Much Did You Spend on Your 5.1 Speaker Sysyem? (1 Viewer)

hyghwayman

Agent
Real Name
Donnie
$300.oo
$500.oo
$1000.oo
$1500.oo
$2000.00
or Much More,

My reason for asking this question is that my wife thinks I've lost my mind :crazy: wanting to spend 1k for a 5.1 system from SVS (SVS SBS-01 5.1 system). I've been trying to up-grade from a HTiB Curtis speaker system 40w (one speaker per speaker) and a 40w powered sub for two (2) years now.
She also thinks there is no way a 1k speaker system will sound any different than say a $500.oo or even a $300.oo one :angry: . So if I could get some data and personal feedback from HTF members to show my wife just how little I'm wanting to spend to get good sound, maybe she'll understand and then again maybe not.

Thanks to all the reply,
hyghwayman

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
About 9K, but I am including a powerhouse 2 channel amp in that, because that is the only thing which can suitably power my L/R speakers. Subtract about 2K without the amp.

The SVS setup is money well spent and quite a deal. It is a few magnitudes better then anything for $500.

Buckethead78

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
My speaker setup is currently just under 1k. I am still using my old HTiB surrounds though, so replacing them should get me up to about 1300.

Its a Polk Rti system, with a PSW 125 sub.

Sounds night and day better than my old Sony HTiB system.

My advice is to buy her something nice. She will forget about your speakers..or at least consider them well bartered.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
In one room, Swan Diva's for $1375 shipped and two Dayton 10" subs for $125 each. In another room, Polk RTi's (for now) for around $625 + tax and another Dayton 10"er. I should mention that the RTi's should have been around $1000 but I bought them as open box/display items. I'd LOVE to up-grade the subs but I wouldn't be able to take advantage of their capabilities so I have to make do with the Daytons. And they really aren't that bad for what they are.

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
4 years ago I got an Onkyo HTiB with the receiver for around $500. (I think???) It is far better than any HTiBs I have ever heard. I have nothing else to compare it too as far as speakers go. But, I think the SVS system is money well spent. You won't "have to" upgrade in a few years.

pink

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
roger walters
b&k processor $2250.00
cinepro 3k6 power amp $6750.00
source technology speakers $13000.00
and along way and lots of dollars to go....

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
If, by luck, she does enjoy music, it might be worth demonstrating how that music sounds on a decent enough system-- though unfortunately, the svs speakers are not sold in store--no demos.

You really don't want this to be viewed as a "silly way to hear the explosions and helicopters"...

You will need a decent receiver-- 75--125W per channel. (measured in the standard manner-- 20-20kHz, 8 ohms, etc. etc.)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
And if that doesn't work, the next time she wants you to take her to Neiman-Marcus for a new pair of shoes, drop her off in front of Payless Shoe Source instead. After all, a $150 pair of shoes can't be any better than the $19.95 ones, right? BTW, you aren't really going to show her this thread, are you? :eek:

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
This is true. But odds are there is something he can use to help convince her. After all, we have to do everything we can to help this guy replace those Curtis speakers!

kryten_tl

Agent
Real Name
Tom Ledoux
How about this, U-turn the question on her. Does she have a Coach or Prada or some name brand purse? Ask her how a $300 purse can be any better than a $30 purse from Walmart. That should get her thinking in the right direction.

TL

P.S. Opps, I should have read all of the posts before replying... I see this has already been covered.

Darla

Auditioning
Do I get extra points with your wife being a woman myself? I had to talk my husband into $1000 for speakers (full kit from Axiom at their outlet prices) and (I think) $429 for a SVS PB10-ISD. Then there were the "we don't talk about it" extra expenses of SPL meter, AVIA disc, cables, stands, and the inevitable upgrades in the rest of the system to keep up with our new speakers...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks