Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Where to buy cheaper Cost Preamplifiers??

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 OFFLINE   Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor

• 510 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted January 24 2008 - 01:02 PM

Hi, I am looking for a Preamplifier like the OutLaw 970 which has 7.1 input & Outputs. I could do a 5.1 as long as it has Both 5.1 Analog Input & Output!!
I have looked around and I would like to get some reccomendations where to Find these used at a Decent Price.

I have tried the Usual Suspects, ie.. Ebay, Amazon and a few other stores. Anybody know where to get these Cheap!!
"IF the Facts don't Fit the Theory Change the Facts"    Albert Einstein

#2 of 16 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,870 posts

Posted January 24 2008 - 02:51 PM

Did you try Audiogon/Videogon?

_Man_
Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#3 of 16 OFFLINE   Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor

• 510 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted January 24 2008 - 03:30 PM

I just checked out those Sites and I bookmarked them. Thnx

Is there a site where they sell a Specific Brand like the Outlaw 970, as that seems it is going to be the cheapest for what I need it to do. I can get any brand Preamp just as long as it has both 5.1/7.1 Analog Input and Output.

#4 of 16 OFFLINE   Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman

Screenwriter

• 2,714 posts

Posted January 26 2008 - 02:47 AM

You might as well pony up the money for the Onkyo 885 or Integra 9.8 (same thing really) pre-amp. Seems like a great processor for the money.

That way you get all the new surround formats... if you can wait a few weeks to get one that is.

#5 of 16 OFFLINE   Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor

• 510 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted January 26 2008 - 07:51 AM

I should mention I do Not need the latest and Greatest just an PreAmp that has both 5.1/7.1 inputs & outputs.

I am using it for my Flight simulator Project Posted Image

#6 of 16 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,870 posts

Posted January 26 2008 - 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman
You might as well pony up the money for the Onkyo 885 or Integra 9.8 (same thing really) pre-amp. Seems like a great processor for the money.

That way you get all the new surround formats... if you can wait a few weeks to get one that is.

Onkyo 885? Didn't know about that one. Is it really the same as the Integra 9.8?

_Man_

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#7 of 16 OFFLINE   Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman

Screenwriter

• 2,714 posts

Posted January 26 2008 - 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-Fai Wong
Onkyo 885? Didn't know about that one. Is it really the same as the Integra 9.8?

_Man_

Yes. It just adds a Pure mode that shuts off the video circuitry and it comes with rack mount ears in the box whereas you have to buy them separately for the 9.8. Oh, and the front panel looks better.

I still think either one would be the best bang vs. buck. Troxell had a killer price for the 885 a while back.

Dan

#8 of 16 OFFLINE   Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor

• 510 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted January 26 2008 - 11:01 AM

I would also like to add My Budget for this thing is $500 or less

#9 of 16 OFFLINE   Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman

Screenwriter

• 2,714 posts

Posted January 26 2008 - 11:05 AM

Get an Onkyo 705 receiver and use it as a pre-amp. Usually have great deals online (only slightly more than your $500 budget). Jr.com, Frys.com, 6ave.com, Amazon.com, etc.

It has 5.1-7.1 analog inputs and 7.1 pre-amp outs besides all the newest audio formats.

#10 of 16 OFFLINE   Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor

• 510 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted January 27 2008 - 12:49 AM

Well that is a good Idea didn't think of looking for a reciever??
I checked out some of those and the price for the Onkyo is a lil High, I have a Very Strict Budget of $500 or less and Less would be Better.

I did find the Outlaw 970 Pre/Pro for $500 including shipping. But you gave me an Idea to include looking at Recievers as a Pre/Pro, I looked around at a few name brands and came up with the Marantz SR4002 for under $500.

I would like to know of a Place that is Authorized and sell Refurbished or B-Stock Marantz Recievers???

THNX!!

#11 of 16 OFFLINE   ericks

ericks

Stunt Coordinator

• 54 posts

Posted January 27 2008 - 12:59 AM

accessories4less.com sells Marantz (and Onkyo I think) refurbs.

#12 of 16 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,870 posts

Posted January 28 2008 - 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman
Yes. It just adds a Pure mode that shuts off the video circuitry and it comes with rack mount ears in the box whereas you have to buy them separately for the 9.8. Oh, and the front panel looks better.

I still think either one would be the best bang vs. buck. Troxell had a killer price for the 885 a while back.

Dan

Wait. The Onkyo 885 actually has a feature ("Pure mode") that the Integra 9.8 does *not* have (besides the rack mount ears)?? How does that work? I thought the Integra is the higher end version of the Onkyo, not the other way around.

Anyway, I tried searching for the 885, but haven't seen it anywhere though, not even on Onkyo's own site. Did it get discontinued already? Hmmm... Just found it on Onkyo's Pro site. Didn't think to look there. Pricing seems similar to the Integra 9.8, which is out of my range -- I'm looking for something under $1K.

Thanks.

_Man_

#13 of 16 OFFLINE   Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor

• 510 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted January 29 2008 - 12:10 PM

Hi, If I use the Marantz as a Pre/Pro will I be able to control the Volume with the Volume knob on the Marantz?? I will be sending the signal to Powered Speakers thru the Pre out of the Reciever to the Speakers??

#14 of 16 OFFLINE   Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor

• 510 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted February 03 2008 - 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald LaFrance
Hi, If I use the Marantz as a Pre/Pro will I be able to control the Volume with the Volume knob on the Marantz?? I will be sending the signal to Powered Speakers thru the Pre out of the Reciever to the Speakers??

Anyone??

#15 of 16 OFFLINE   ericks

ericks

Stunt Coordinator

• 54 posts

Posted February 03 2008 - 09:06 AM

Yes - that's the whole point of using it as a preamp. Not to sound like a jerk, but you could have figured that out on your own pretty easily without waiting for someone to tell you.

#16 of 16 OFFLINE   Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor

• 510 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted February 03 2008 - 02:21 PM

well How would I have known that I Never had a Pre/Pro B4 nd they dont tell you in the manual??? besides there is a Amp built in the Speakers and I wasn't sure if I would be controlling the Volume thru the Speakers or the Preamp?? that is why I asked like they say Cant hurt to ask???

but THNX for answering my question anyhow

Back to Receivers/Separates/Amps

Forum Nav Content I Follow