Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Axl confirms Chinese Democracy is finished at last

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 of 21 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted January 24 2008 - 09:50 AM

Rose finishes Guns 'N Roses album - Yahoo! News UK

UK's Classic Rock recently tracked down Beta Lebeis, personal manager of Axl Rose, who confirmed to the magazine that GUNS N' ROSES' "Chinese Democracy" album "was finished before Christmas."
She added: "Everybody knows that."

Lebeis said Axl is currently "in negotiations" with unspecified parties to arrange to album's on-sale date.
However, Classic Rock believes that "Chinese Democracy" may not be "released" in the traditional sense — at least not initially.
The magazine suspects that GN'R may follow the RADIOHEAD route of pay-as-you-like downloads. But the publications stresses that this has not been confirmed.
Another source close to the GN'R camp also suggested that "Chinese Democracy" may gain a conventional release in late summer, with a view to it becoming "a big Christmas album."
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#2 of 21 Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown

Producer

• 5,713 posts

Posted January 24 2008 - 12:12 PM

I'll believe it when I see it. Posted Image
If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ...

#3 of 21 Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,329 posts

Posted January 24 2008 - 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin C Brown
I'll believe it when I see it. Posted Image
Exactly. Haven't we heard all this before? But I will certainly be interested to hear what Mr Rose has spent over 15 years to come up with.

#4 of 21 Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted January 26 2008 - 02:49 PM

A lot of people wanna hear it, but is this even signifcant any more? The musicians that recorded these songs aren't even in the band any more, correct? I don't know, I'll check it out, but to me, G'nR consists of Axl with (at least) Slash, Izzy and Duff.
"Music is a magic carpet loaded with oils and other soothing potions, it's just what you need when you don't know what you need, when you've got more questions than answers." - Bob Lefsetz

#5 of 21 Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre

Screenwriter

• 2,067 posts

Posted January 26 2008 - 09:36 PM

The cool thing about it if this is indeed true (and I'm not holding my breath) and they're using the Radiohead release as a blueprint we could have an official copy within like a week of an official announcement.

I can easily see Axl getting hung up on the idea of someone paying nothing for his album though. I just don't see his ego allowing that, and unlike Radiohead I think most people are skeptical so "pay-as-you-like" could translate to "I'll get it now for free and if it's good I might buy the hard copy". That happened with Radiohead too (that's basically what I did, though I always planned on buying the CD) but the reputation of GnR/Axl vs. Radiohead is so different I'm fairly certain the results would be equally different.

Then there's the fact that GnR/Axl is still aligned with Universal Music Group whereas Radiohead didn't have any obligations or affiliations to any record label when they did their online release. Radiohead supposedly made an amount of money comparable to their previous releases off of "In Rainbows" but it certainly didn't make as much money altogether, they just didn't have to spit it with a label. If the record label is still part of the equation I don't see the "pay-as-you-like" download idea working. Then there's the obvious issue of the album being practically incapable of being profitable given all the money that was dumped into it.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see, and I stress the word "wait".
Don't you ever, EVER compare me to "Family Guy," you hear me Kyle? Compare me to "Family Guy" again and so help me, I will kill you where you stand!

Do you have any idea what it's like? Everywhere I go: "Hey Cartman you must like 'Family Guy,' right?" "Hey, your sense of humor reminds me of...

#6 of 21 Russell G

Russell G

Lead Actor

• 9,644 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted February 01 2008 - 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Reda
A lot of people wanna hear it, but is this even signifcant any more? The musicians that recorded these songs aren't even in the band any more, correct? I don't know, I'll check it out, but to me, G'nR consists of Axl with (at least) Slash, Izzy and Duff.

I think you nailed it right there. This was an important release when it was first rumored... 12 years ago? now it's a curiosity. I can't imagine this being a huge album outside of the first week of release. Don't get me wrong, I liked Guns N' roses, but none of their albums are really all out classics that changed the worlds, simply good rock albums. The hype on this one is going to kill it before it's out of the gate sadly.
My wallet cries me to sleep!

This post kills threads!

#7 of 21 Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins

Producer

• 6,396 posts

Posted February 01 2008 - 08:13 AM

I bet it sucks. Too much of a troubled history in and out of the studio.
Viewing: Sony KDSXBR150, Sony Bluray S570, ATT Uverse
Listening: Sony SCD777ES, Benchmark DAC1Pre, VPI/Modwright SWP9SE/Lyra Argo, Audio Research Ref3/VT100, Maggie 1.7s

#8 of 21 Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown

Producer

• 5,713 posts

Posted February 01 2008 - 12:23 PM

I think it could be a good release, for those interested. Posted Image Conflict breeds creativity, I have long believed.
If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ...

#9 of 21 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted March 27 2008 - 11:13 AM

BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Axl Rose responds to album task

#10 of 21 Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown

Producer

• 5,713 posts

Posted March 27 2008 - 01:06 PM

Axl says: "We are surprised and very happy to have the support of Dr Pepper with our album Chinese Democracy."

OK ... What about a release date?

KevinVision 7.1 ...

#11 of 21 allprolab

allprolab

Stunt Coordinator

• 58 posts

Posted March 28 2008 - 01:34 AM

I would throw my can of dr pepper at axl, thus prompting him to pout for another twelve years.

#12 of 21 Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter

• 1,252 posts

Posted March 28 2008 - 02:40 AM

Quote:
I would throw my can of dr pepper at axl, thus prompting him to pout for another twelve years.

That made my day........... thank you.
My DVD Collection

#13 of 21 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,428 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted March 28 2008 - 08:51 AM

I hope this record comes out this year because I'd love to get a free Dr. Pepper. Posted Image

#14 of 21 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,375 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted March 28 2008 - 09:33 AM

Quote:
Rose has reportedly spent $13 million (£6.47 million) getting Chinese Democracy ready.

What the $*()@#*@ has he spent $13 million on?!?!?!
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#15 of 21 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted March 28 2008 - 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman

Dr Pepper perhaps

#16 of 21 Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,329 posts

Posted March 31 2008 - 03:59 AM

Sheesh, reading that final bit in the BBC report, that Use Your Illusion I & II were the last new GNR releases back in 1991 reminds me, that when it came out, I was still in college, heard about the releases from my room-mate, and we hopped on the bus, headed downtown to the CD shop and bought copies. Which was bloody ancient history.

#17 of 21 Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor

• 840 posts

Posted April 08 2008 - 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman

This three-year-old New York Times article is where the $13 million figure originally came from:

The Most Expensive Album Never Made

It's a fascinating read.

#18 of 21 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted April 08 2008 - 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yee-Ming
Sheesh, reading that final bit in the BBC report, that Use Your Illusion I & II were the last new GNR releases back in 1991 reminds me, that when it came out, I was still in college, heard about the releases from my room-mate, and we hopped on the bus, headed downtown to the CD shop and bought copies. Which was bloody ancient history.

They meant the Illusions were the last ones with original material. They also did The Spaghetti Incident?, which featured covers. Still, that was 15 years ago now and doesn't take anything away from your story.

#19 of 21 Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,329 posts

Posted April 09 2008 - 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H
They meant the Illusions were the last ones with original material. They also did The Spaghetti Incident?, which featured covers. Still, that was 15 years ago now and doesn't take anything away from your story.
Heh, I have a copy of Spaghetti, and just plain forgot about it. Shows how relevant it was, I suppose.

#20 of 21 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted April 10 2008 - 10:12 AM

Guns N' Roses album release to be turned into reality show? - Yahoo! News UK

I suppose this would make great viewing

Back to Music & Soundtracks

Forum Nav Content I Follow