Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Rumor: BluRay deck to be $299 on Jan 28th

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#1 of 31 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,099 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted January 24 2008 - 04:25 AM

Unifying the PS3 to only be the 40GB model and price drop to $299...

Rumor: Best Buy dropping the 80GB PS3, it's going away altogether? - Quarter To Three Forums

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#2 of 31 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,099 posts

Posted January 24 2008 - 05:24 AM

Woops, meant to post this in hardware, thanks for the move Crawdaddy.

Engadget has more speculation:
Best Buy quitting the 80GB PS3? - Engadget

#3 of 31 OFFLINE   Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff

Screenwriter

• 2,858 posts

Posted January 24 2008 - 05:30 AM

If the PS3 drops to $299, I'll just have to break down and get one.

#4 of 31 OFFLINE   Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure

Screenwriter

• 2,786 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted January 24 2008 - 05:42 AM

If this does happen.....It'll be hard to pass up but I'll still wait for the BD-50 (if it's fully functional and cheap enough).

#5 of 31 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,874 posts

Posted January 24 2008 - 06:21 AM

Interesting that someone over there mentioned (w/ link) that Sony is looking for engineers to work on emulation for the PS2 (and other PS formats). Maybe my PS3/40GB will eventually have some backward compatibility w/ PS2 games afterall -- not that it matters much to me since I don't have any PS2 games. Posted Image

_Man_
Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#6 of 31 OFFLINE   Scott_J

Scott_J

Screenwriter

• 2,635 posts

Posted January 24 2008 - 10:54 AM

I just ordered a 40GB PS3 yesterday. Why does this not surprise me?

I wonder if SonyStyle has a 30-day price guarantee.

#7 of 31 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,874 posts

Posted January 24 2008 - 11:13 AM

BTW, Sam, why didn't you mention PS3 in the thread title? Posted Image

Unfortunately for me, even if SonyStyle has a 30-day price guarantee, I'll probably just miss the cutoff.

_Man_

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#8 of 31 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted January 24 2008 - 11:47 AM

I plan to buy a 40gig tomorrow from BB with a 20% off coupon. Either way, I'll get the price difference being that it will drop within the next month of me buying it if it ends up less then with my coupon.
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#9 of 31 OFFLINE   Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown

Producer

• 5,713 posts

Posted January 24 2008 - 12:09 PM

I got the Sharp player for $300 ... 6 weeks ago. Posted Image
If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ...

#10 of 31 OFFLINE   WojtekZ

WojtekZ

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted January 24 2008 - 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-P
I plan to buy a 40gig tomorrow from BB with a 20% off coupon. Either way, I'll get the price difference being that it will drop within the next month of me buying it if it ends up less then with my coupon.

I remember reading elsewhere that the 20% of coupon excludes the PS3. Some have apparently gotten away with it but most not.

#11 of 31 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted January 24 2008 - 04:52 PM

Not according to the coupon. It only states the Pioneer Elite and the XBox360 as being excluded. The PS3 is listed no where on the coupon and it does say "all" Blu-ray players. There's no grounds printed in black and white saying I can't get the PS3 at 20% off. Yeah, I'll raise hell if I need to.

#12 of 31 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted January 25 2008 - 06:17 AM

I tried and tried, went all the way to the top BB guy this morning, no dice. Oh well, I still bought one. If the price cut happens I'll just bring in my receipt and get the difference. I picked up Uncharted: Drake's Fortune for my first game to play.

After talking with my bro at BB he said he's read the rumors on the price drop but nothing offical from BB. The only thing he showed me is that the free movies / games that come with the PS3's are getting pulled out.

#13 of 31 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,895 posts

Posted January 25 2008 - 07:42 AM

It was worth a shot but videogame console margins are pretty low (probably $15-$30) so ain't no way they were going to lose $80 on a 40GB PS3.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#14 of 31 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,099 posts

Posted January 26 2008 - 12:46 AM

its official that they dropped the eighty but no word on the price drop yet. Monday should be interesting!

#15 of 31 OFFLINE   JackKay

JackKay

Second Unit

• 461 posts

Posted January 26 2008 - 09:18 AM

Sony, right now, is having a wonderful time. It used the Trojan Horse strategy to put millions of Blu-ray players into homes by riding on the wave of their new gaming system. Now it is reversed. The PS3 is the least expensive full profile Blu-ray player on the market and probably will be for the next 6 to 12 months. Their getting their gaming machine into peoples homes because it is the best bang-for-your-buck Blu-ray player. It's two for one for Sony.
"I believe in censorship. After all, I made a fortune out of it." -Mae West

#16 of 31 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,874 posts

Posted January 26 2008 - 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-P
I tried and tried, went all the way to the top BB guy this morning, no dice. Oh well, I still bought one. If the price cut happens I'll just bring in my receipt and get the difference. I picked up Uncharted: Drake's Fortune for my first game to play.

Is Uncharted: Drake's Fortune really that much fun (and is it 1080i/p)? I think Crawdaddy(?) or some other mod mentioned it before as the only game he plays on his PS3. Maybe I'll actually give it a try at some point. I only bought the PotC 3 game for my son as sort of a token (1080i/p) game for our PS3 -- the family still mainly plays the old XBox in general though I rarely touch it myself.

_Man_

#17 of 31 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,918 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted January 26 2008 - 11:10 AM

Quote:
It was worth a shot but videogame console margins are pretty low (probably $15-$30) so ain't no way they were going to lose $80 on a 40GB PS3.

Lower than that. They sell them for no (or next to no) profit since they make the $$ on games and accessories.

#18 of 31 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,918 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted January 26 2008 - 11:16 AM

I know the 40 gig PS3 doesn't have the PS2 hardware chip like the 60 gig did, but what about software emulation for PS2 games?

#19 of 31 OFFLINE   Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

• 1,687 posts

Posted January 26 2008 - 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich
I know the 40 gig PS3 doesn't have the PS2 hardware chip like the 60 gig did, but what about software emulation for PS2 games?

The original PS3s essentially had PS2s built into them. They had both the PS2's processor and graphics chip for backwards compatibility. The current BC models dropped the processor and made up for it with software emulation, but they still have the graphics chip. The 40gig has neither pieces of hardware.

It's suggested that Sony could emulate both for full software compatibility, but it would very difficult. Anything is possible though, and it is known that Sony is currently hiring "Compatibility Engineers" for the PS3--whatever that means.
"Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll hunt him... because he can take it... because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a DARK KNIGHT."

#20 of 31 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 17,099 posts

Posted January 26 2008 - 03:18 PM

Quote:
BTW, Sam, why didn't you mention PS3 in the thread title?

I actually wanted to put 'The Best' BluRay Deck in the title but figured that would stir things up more than my amusement was worth =)

Back to Beginners, General Questions & HTiB (Home Theater in a Box)

Forum Nav Content I Follow