Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Big Shakeup With MST3K on DVD

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
53 replies to this topic

#1 of 54 OFFLINE   seanOhara

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

• 820 posts

Posted January 23 2008 - 01:42 PM

Apparently Rhino will no longer release Mystery Science Theater 3000 on DVD. Instead, Shout! Factory is taking over. The article is mostly about how everybody at Shout! loves the show, but here's an interesting bit at the end of the article:

Quote:
The series lasted 11 seasons and includes 198 episodes, all of which are ultimately bound for both DVD and digital distribution through Shout! Factory.

Are they just being overly optimistic, or are they really going to secure rights for all the movies, even the ones from KTMA? And if they do, how much will the sets cost?
My Blog
Les Miserables Volume 1 with my reading of "Four and Four"
Librivox Short Story Collection 34 with my reading of Jack London's "War"

#2 of 54 OFFLINE   Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted January 23 2008 - 01:48 PM

I think that's just press release hype. There's quite a few AIP titles that Susan Hart controls and refused to license for DVD. Plus there's the Gamera and Godzilla flicks.

this is a a good move since Rhino seems to have lost it's passion for the weird. Wonder if they're also going to make a run at the Krofft empire stuff that Rhino has given up releasing.

Wonder how this will affect the Elvira releases.
come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

#3 of 54 OFFLINE   SilverWook

SilverWook

Screenwriter

• 1,547 posts

Posted January 23 2008 - 03:14 PM

I wonder if Volume 10.1 will come out as scheduled now?

Not to mention the individual disc of "The Giant Gila Monster" that was going to offered through Rhino, for those of us who bought Volume 10 before the "Godzilla vs. Megalon" rights snafu.

#4 of 54 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,191 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted January 23 2008 - 03:33 PM

Not to take away from the great work that Rhino did (they kept MST3K on VHS and DVD for 15 years or more) but I'm really excited to see what Shout can do.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanOhara
Are they just being overly optimistic, or are they really going to secure rights for all the movies, even the ones from KTMA?
As far as I know, no one involved with the show wants the KTMA episodes out there (they look at them more like demo tapes). That doesn't mean that they can't have had a change of mind but I doubt they have.

#5 of 54 OFFLINE   JasonJason

JasonJason

Stunt Coordinator

• 98 posts

Posted January 23 2008 - 04:41 PM

Hope this isn't a dumb question - I'm a huge MST3K fan, but what are the KTMA episodes? Are they pre-season 1? Or are they episodes that revolve around movies released by a certain studio who won't release rights? And, what is the reasoning for them not releasing them?

#6 of 54 OFFLINE   seanOhara

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

• 820 posts

Posted January 23 2008 - 05:23 PM

KTMA is a Minneapolis TV station that aired the first season of MST3K before the Comedy Channel picked up the series.
My Blog

#7 of 54 OFFLINE   JasonJason

JasonJason

Stunt Coordinator

• 98 posts

Posted January 23 2008 - 06:26 PM

Ah, gotcha. I didn't know there was anything pre-comedy channel. Thanks for the info!

#8 of 54 OFFLINE   Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,219 posts

Posted January 24 2008 - 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey3rd
this is a a good move since Rhino seems to have lost it's passion for the weird. Wonder if they're also going to make a run at the Krofft empire stuff that Rhino has given up releasing.

Aren't the people at Shout former Rhino employees?

#9 of 54 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted January 24 2008 - 02:15 AM

I miss the single releases. I dont have to own every episode, and many i dont want. I sure dont want to spend 50 bucks if all i wanted was 1 or 2 of the episodes. I have to have at least 50% on my episode wants to justify the cost. But thats just me, and i know the hard core fan wants them all.

#10 of 54 OFFLINE   seanOhara

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

• 820 posts

Posted January 24 2008 - 02:22 AM

I'd buy season sets if they could keep the price down, but otherwise I think singles or double features would be the way to go. Four movies was a bad middle ground.
My Blog

#11 of 54 OFFLINE   Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted January 24 2008 - 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Martin
Aren't the people at Shout former Rhino employees?
Shout was formed by folks who used to run Rhino. Except they no longer have to worry about Wildman Larry Fischer showing up on their front door demanding his money.
come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

#12 of 54 OFFLINE   Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty

Screenwriter

• 2,126 posts

Posted January 24 2008 - 05:25 AM

HA

I had a good friend who was a manager at the late, lamented Rhino retail store in West LA who had plenty of Wildman Fischer stories.

My big fear is that those of us who have the original Volume 10 Box-set are not going to get the promised single-disc GIANT GILA MONSTER DVD through Rhino.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey3rd
Shout was formed by folks who used to run Rhino. Except they no longer have to worry about Wildman Larry Fischer showing up on their front door demanding his money.

#13 of 54 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,888 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted January 28 2008 - 11:37 AM

Yep, this is actually exciting. You never really know what they might be able to secure the rights to.
Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#14 of 54 OFFLINE   JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,574 posts

Posted January 28 2008 - 12:26 PM

Isn't there a crazy rumor that it's in the Sandry Frank family wills that they are NEVER to give the rights to ANY of their films for MST3K, since Sandy frank hates the way that MST3K made fun of their films.

all-banner.jpg

#15 of 54 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted January 28 2008 - 02:33 PM

Maybe we just might get some of those Sci-Fi channel episodes. I am thinking of the Universal titles (Creature Walks Among Us). As Shout has released a few Universal shows!

#16 of 54 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,888 posts

Posted January 28 2008 - 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickER
Maybe we just might get some of those Sci-Fi channel episodes. I am thinking of the Universal titles (Creature Walks Among Us). As Shout has released a few Universal shows!
Actually I think that one is called "Revenge of the Creature". When I first got a Dish Sci-Fi showed that one once and I was able to record it. Whew! It's a great episode. There's a beastality joke about "Chris the dog" that leaves me in the floor everytime. A release of that one on DVD would be a reason to cheer like a mad man.

If only Sandy Frank was a gambling addict. We could all pitch in and buy him a ticket to Vegas. He'd "need the money" on this silly movie thing sooner or later. Posted Image
Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#17 of 54 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted January 29 2008 - 12:56 AM

I just hope that they bring the prices down. I've wanted to buy more of these on DVD, but I simply cannot justify the prices that they currently list for.

#18 of 54 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,888 posts

Posted January 29 2008 - 07:41 AM

The cost really isn't too bad on the multisets if you shop around. Usually it's 4 film-length episodes for less than $40. Most are totally rewatchable because you'll forget most of the jokes and be reminded over and over.

#19 of 54 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,191 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted January 30 2008 - 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverWook
Not to mention the individual disc of "The Giant Gila Monster" that was going to offered through Rhino, for those of us who bought Volume 10 before the "Godzilla vs. Megalon" rights snafu.
Looks like it's still coming through Rhino's website for $7.98.

Satellite News - The official Mystery Science Theater 3000 fan site » “Gila Monster” Single-Disk Details

#20 of 54 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,203 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted January 30 2008 - 01:45 PM

thats good news.
guess i'll be logging over there early that day.
facebook.com/whotony

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow