What's new

Fox's 'THE MOMENT OF TRUTH'. (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Let's put aside the fact that this is probably one of if not THE most shameless show ever, I must admit that it's actually pretty fun to watch lol.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I suspect there's about 5 minutes of "content" in this show if you blast through all the delays and pauses and "chit-chat".

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

You said it! They wait an absurd amount of time before the female voice says true or false after a question is answered.

Those that go on this show must be either really desperate for attention or they WANT to utterly destroy their lives for money lol. If they don't win then all they did was get themselves into massive amounts of hot water with their friends, family or whomever.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
This show won't last long.

tick

tock

tick

tock

tick

tock

tick

tock

tick

tock

tick

tock

tick

tock

tick

tock

TRUE!

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
^^Clever and yes I believe it's true, too lol.

But then again people seem to really be embracing crap these days so I guess you never can tell.

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
Just how does this "show" work? I caught about 45 minutes of it, or one question, and was trying to figure out how this voice knows if the answer is true or not.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Prior to taping of the show, the contestants are given a polygraph test and are quizzed on 50 questions to which 21 are selected to actually be asked on the show.

So, the contestants must answer those 21 questions and the answers must match the results of the previously given polygraph test.

Also, the contestant can have three people from their life sitting close by and those people have the power to veto one question if they feel uncomfortable and they would rather not hear the answer to that question, they do this by hitting a button but they can only do this once and they have no control over what the next question will be.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Sometime before the taping the contestants are strapped to a "lie detector". They are not doing it "live". They have already stated their answer before the show even is taped. That way the show's producers can pick the juiciest. During the actual show, the contestants are basically just repeating the answer the gave earlier.

They are asked about 50 questions while on the supposed lie detector, then the show picks 21 of them to "out" during the taping.

I don't believe in or trust lie detectors and I certainly wouldn't go on a game show that makes you reveal personal secrets for money.

But I did watch the show. LOL

EDIT: Oops, hammer beat me to it...

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
This show is going to destroy many lives and the real sad part is people pretty much asked for it lol.

I don't even know what to say about such remarkable stupidity.

I mean last night alone the first two contestants collectively...

1. Alienated a friend.

2, Pissed off their boss to where I wouldn't be surprised if the guy got fired.

3. And made the wife very suspicious of what else her husband has been hiding.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
It trapped me to the extent that I was trying to answer the questions based on what I think he would say. The ex pro football player, was a complete idiot to the extent that his question about touching a female person he is training more than necessary is probably the industry standard.
I have to admit it does take the woman way too long to answer true or false, but I can see marriages and relationship wrecked behind this. When our pro baller answered falsely, the wife's response when he tried to kiss her after the game was quite apprehensive. She pushed him almost and turned head to her cheek and gave one of those real phoney kisses. My guess he's in real trouble. My wife doesn't like it, gee I wonder if she's got something to hide.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I thought it was completely rediculous that he said that he would encourage his wife to get liposuction if she got fat. As a personal trainer, that should of been the last thing he would want her to do, he should have been all for her losing her fat by hard exercise. I guess he doesn't really believe in his profession...

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
This won't destroy any more lives than Dr Phil or other talk shows where people air their dirty laundry. At least here, people have a chance to win cash.

All they are doing is getting the truth out- any destroyed lives would not be from truth being told, but whatever the matter was.

I was a little disappointed how the hype leading up to the premiere implied the person would be hooked to the polygraph on the show, plus the way they showed clips from many episodes without making that point clear.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter

Actually it is a little bit different. On the show, they must tell the truth, regardless of what they answered on the polygraph. The polygraph just backs up whether or not they are telling the truth. The host told them at the start that they can change the answer they gave on the test, this is all in case they aren't sure of how the polygraph read the answer.
In the example last night, if the personal trainer had answered the last question as Yes (even though he answered it as No on the polygraph) he would have went on because he was telling the truth on the stage.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
What difference does that make? He doesn't think she's his life partner anyway. He's just along for the ride until someone he actually likes comes around. ;)

Not surprisingly, given FOX's incessant promotion and the Idol lead-in, it did well in the ratings - more than 23 million viewers. I'd expect a steep drop-off next week.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I haven't seen this show, but I had to share something I read about it in TV Guide. I don't have the TVG article in front of me, but the same incident is recounted on Wikipedia:

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Do you think the questions on the first episode were bad? According to FOX reality chief Mike Darnell, that was just a "middle-of-the-road episode" and that "the show's promised `end of western civilization' drama will increase" when the show moves to 8pm in early March. That makes sense - make the show less family-friendly (as if it is now) when you move it to an earlier time.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> In the example last night, if the personal trainer had answered the last question as Yes (even though he answered it as No on the polygraph) he would have went on because he was telling the truth on the stage.

So how do the producers know what the truth is? I thought the polygraph results were assumed to be true.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
They know by the polygraph. It's complicated and they should have spent more time explaining it rather than showing that guys smug goofy looks.
Here's a simple example:

Polygraph test:
Question - Is the sky blue?
Answer given - No
Polygraph result - Lie

Show:
Question - Is the sky blue?
Answer given - Yes
Based on the polygraph showing that he was lying when he said no, then yes can be assumed to be the truth.

It all boils down to the polygraph test tells the producers what the true answer is based on whether or not the contestant is telling the truth or not. They then can determine what the truthful answer is and that is the answer that must be given on the show.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks