Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

I AM LEGEND BD/HD Details

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#1 of 36 OFFLINE   Shane_M

Shane_M

Stunt Coordinator

• 232 posts

Posted January 23 2008 - 08:23 AM

Last night I was able to attend another Warner Bros. press event where this time they focused on I AM LEGEND. I have another video interview (still in editing) with WB, but I know some will be excited to see what they're putting on each of the 4 versions they are releasing.

Check it out here:
EyeCraveDVD.com - Exclusive: I AM LEGEND Details
Shane
EyeCraveDVD.com (Owner | Editor-In-Chief)
My Blog

#2 of 36 OFFLINE   Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor

• 977 posts

Posted January 24 2008 - 01:49 AM

Reading this, it sounds like only the Alternative version with different ending is presented on the HD sets. Perhaps both endings with branching? One can only hope...

#3 of 36 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted January 24 2008 - 01:55 AM

I'm curious as to what the alternative ending is, but I won't be buying this to find out. Although I am sure the alternative ending has to be better than the theatrical one, which butchered not only the title of the novela, but its entire spirit as well.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#4 of 36 OFFLINE   SVTStingRay

SVTStingRay

Stunt Coordinator

• 100 posts

Posted January 24 2008 - 05:38 AM

actually its worse,

its neville surviving by releasing the captured female and leaving with the other 2 to vermont to the suvival colony.

#5 of 36 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted January 24 2008 - 06:16 AM

Quote:
actually its worse,

I should've known better. Thanks for heads-up though.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal

#6 of 36 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted January 31 2008 - 05:49 PM

From dvdactive.com:

"The 2-disc special edition will include all that, along with an alternate theatrical version of the film with a "controversial" ending. HD-DVD/DVD Combo and Blu-ray releases will also be available for $35.99 with all of the 2-disc features."

It's not clear as to whether the different ending will be seamless branching, or on the disc as a separate encode. If it's closer to the book ending I may pick it up.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#7 of 36 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted February 01 2008 - 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway
If it's closer to the book ending I may pick it up.

Brandon, according to SVTStingRay, three posts above, its not. Posted Image

The Jackal

#8 of 36 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted February 01 2008 - 04:00 AM

Ah, hadn't seen that. Disappointing if true. Posted Image

And definitely controversial, though for totally opposite reasons!

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#9 of 36 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted February 01 2008 - 06:17 AM

Controversial, in that it sucks. I guess thats one way to market it. This will have to be a rental for me. I didnt see it in theaters. After the mix i read, i can wait. The book has been a favorite of mine since i was a kid. But now that everyone has ripped off the story, i guess its hard to make it not look like, been there and done that. Course if someone could be FAITHFUL to the story, that would be cool!

#10 of 36 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted March 06 2008 - 08:53 AM

If anyone is interested in seeing the original ending to I Am Legend, AICN has it posted here:

UPDATED!! The Original Ending To I AM LEGEND is online - and is vastly superior to the theatrical ending... -- Ain't It Cool News: The best in movie, TV, DVD, and comic book news.

While it is better than I expected, particularly the part where
Neville realizes it is he that has become the 'monster', which is truer in spirit to the book, it is still far too happy an ending.

Edited to add:

Damn! They've just taken it down. That was quick.

The Jackal

#11 of 36 OFFLINE   Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor

• 977 posts

Posted March 06 2008 - 09:10 AM

Is this "original" ending different to the alternate ending?

#12 of 36 OFFLINE   SVTStingRay

SVTStingRay

Stunt Coordinator

• 100 posts

Posted March 06 2008 - 12:08 PM

basically in the book and in the theatrical version he dies, in the cut "original" ending he survives. it does include the fact that he is viewed as a monster to the vampires (zombies) which is in the book and the reason for the title. the theatrical version muddles that up a little. now if only they could combine the "i am legend" arch of the book with the sad ending, the movie would be perfect.

Spoiler tags added by moderator.

#13 of 36 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,244 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted March 07 2008 - 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTStingRay
basically in the book and in the theatrical version he .... in the cut "original" ending he ....... it does include the fact that he is viewed as a monster to the vampires (zombies) which is in the book and the reason for the title. the theatrical version muddles that up a little. now if only they could combine the "i am legend" arch of the book with the .....ending, the movie would be perfect.

wait, did you just give up the end of the movie?

Posted Image
facebook.com/whotony

#14 of 36 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted March 07 2008 - 03:49 PM

Daniel, spoilers man, use the spoiler tags! Some of us have not seen the movie yet. Maybe a few have not read the book, but they should!

#15 of 36 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,244 posts

Posted March 07 2008 - 04:04 PM

reported the post hopefully someone will come in and spoilerize that quickly.
daniel
Posted Image

and
Posted Image
facebook.com/whotony

#16 of 36 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted March 07 2008 - 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD
daniel
Posted Image

and
Posted Image
I just did.

So what's your excuse for quoting it without spoiler tags? (That one you can fix on your own.)

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#17 of 36 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,080 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 07 2008 - 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD
daniel
Posted Image

and
Posted Image
Yet, you quoted the same post thus cause me to spoilerize your post too.Posted Image

Members, just because you know the plotlines in books or films, you don't have to spoil others enjoyment of finding them out too be revealing that information without using spoiler tags prior to them getting the chance of reading or watching that book or film in question.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#18 of 36 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,080 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 07 2008 - 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Reuben
I just did.

So what's your excuse for quoting it without spoiler tags? (That one you can fix on your own.)

M.
Jeez Michael, you spoilerize my spoiler tags.Posted Image

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#19 of 36 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted March 07 2008 - 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
Jeez Michael, you spoilerize my spoiler tags.Posted Image
We must have been doing the same thing at the same time. Posted Image

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#20 of 36 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,244 posts

Posted March 08 2008 - 01:46 AM

look at my quote again, i deleted the parts in my quote that gave up the ending. i never revealed anything in the quote.

anyway thanks for the fix.
facebook.com/whotony

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow