Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Two recievers bi amping?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   warren whit

warren whit

Agent

• 25 posts

Posted January 22 2008 - 09:09 PM

i just recently upgraded to a denon 3808ci and have my old onkyo tx-nr801 sitting here collecting dust. I'm wondering if there is a way to use both amps to power my polk audio lsi front speakers? Not sure how all the processing would be affected? Any help is appreciated! Thnx.

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Mike_J_D

Mike_J_D

Stunt Coordinator

• 213 posts

Posted January 22 2008 - 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren whit
i just recently upgraded to a denon 3808ci and have my old onkyo tx-nr801 sitting here collecting dust. I'm wondering if there is a way to use both amps to power my polk audio lsi front speakers? Not sure how all the processing would be affected? Any help is appreciated! Thnx.

Warren, good morning; on the back of the 3808ci there is a speaker out section called Surr back/Amp assign - it comes after Surround B. This section can be assigned in the menu of the 3808 and used to bi-amp your front speakers. So all you would need is the speaker cable necessary to bi-amp them - which you would have needed anyway.

I would say that you could run the pre-outs - if your Onkyo has them - into the ext in inputs on the back of the Denon; however, I don't know if this would disable the Denons amps and use it only as a pre/pro. Maybe someone with a better understanding of the internal workings of the Denon can chime in; personally I would use the SURR BACK/AMP ASSIGN to bi-amp my front two speakers. Which is what I will be doing in the near future.

Mike
HT - Denon 3808ci | Elite Pro-111FD | PS3 60gb | Panamax 5300PM | NHT ST4 | NHT SB2 | NHT SC1 | SVS 20-39 | NHT SA3

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   warren whit

warren whit

Agent

• 25 posts

Posted January 23 2008 - 11:58 AM

Thanks for the info, i wasn't aware of that option on the denon!
I will use that option until i am running all 7 speakers (not a big enough room at moment). Thanks for your help.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Mike_J_D

Mike_J_D

Stunt Coordinator

• 213 posts

Posted January 23 2008 - 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren whit
Thanks for the info, i wasn't aware of that option on the denon!
I will use that option until i am running all 7 speakers (not a big enough room at moment). Thanks for your help.

You are very welcome.
HT - Denon 3808ci | Elite Pro-111FD | PS3 60gb | Panamax 5300PM | NHT ST4 | NHT SB2 | NHT SC1 | SVS 20-39 | NHT SA3

#5 of 6 ONLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,575 posts

Posted January 24 2008 - 03:28 AM

Are those Polks bi-ampable? You can't do that with just any speaker?

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   warren whit

warren whit

Agent

• 25 posts

Posted January 24 2008 - 08:55 AM

Yep, they are there top of the line set.

Forum Nav Content I Follow