What's new

Upgrading, just a few questions (1 Viewer)

Chemikalburn

Auditioning
Real Name
Jarrod Duncan
I'm upgrading from my Onkyo H.T.I.A.B. that I bought almost a decade ago and I was just wondering if anyone can give me some tips/input about the equipment I'm looking at. My friend can get me a deal on the Sony STR-DG910 for about $300. I know people here are way above those standards, but I've heard it's a good AVR and the specs seem pretty good too.
The problem I'm having is finding speakers. I don't know much about speakers, but I know I don't want to spend $150 per speaker. This is a 7.1 AVR so $1,000 is a little much for speakers in my apartment. Atleast for now. I am looking at a few Sony speakers. Center: SS-CN5000 or SS-CR3000 (which would take care of the surround left/right. and Left/Right: SS-BB1000

If anyone can give me any insight into anything listed, or just make other recommendations. I'm looking for something that is reliable, because my Onkyo right now, the sub has gone out. And the surround rears seems to be acting up.

Also, I've configured each channel, and there are a lot of times I need to turn up/down the volume depending on what's going on in the movie. Is there any kind of suggestions anyone can make so I don't have to do that so much?

Thanks a lot,
Jarrod

Chemikalburn

Auditioning
Real Name
Jarrod Duncan
Thanks for the quick reply Mike. I like Denon, and I'll look into getting that receiver, or the step up. Thanks for the recommendation.

As far as the speakers go I was planning on only having 5 currently and then when I move, upgrading to 7. i looked at the axiom site. It's a little more pricey than what I would like to spend. Also, it didn't seem like they had much variety, although I'm sure the quality is out of this world. They are seriously great looking speakers, and when I do have more money to throw around, I'll be looking into that.

The problem with the volume is probably just my own. I know I should configure via calibration dvd, but I'm just now learning more about this kinda stuff. Mind you, my friends and the people I hang out with know nothing about A/V, so it's hard to know what i have to do. I usually have to turn the master volume up/down when watching a movie if it's too quiet/loud. It gets annoying. I'll get a calibration dvd when i get my new receiver.

Thanks for your help

Mike_J_D

Stunt Coordinator

Jarrod,

You're welcome, and welcome to HTF. I would definately go with the Denon over the Sony. As for speakers, the SVS package looks pretty nice..maybe you could search here for some reviews, or contact SVS and talk to them - they have excellent customer service. Also AV123 makes some great speakers as well. I would recommend taking your time, this isn't something you should rush into and have to rebuy speakers or equipment a few years down the line. For example, I've had my NHT speakers for 6 or 7 years; but I knew that I would hold onto them for a long time when I bought them originally.

Also, don't feel like you have to buy everything all at the same time. Buy the fronts, then the center, then the rears. It isn't a race, pace yourself.

As for calibration, what you need can be bought at Radio Shack RadioShack.com - Home Entertainment: Digital-Display Sound-Level Meter. They use to have an analog version, but maybe that went away. This will allow you to properly calibrate your speakers to your listening position. Then you won't have to worry too much about adjusting levels or master volume.

Feel free to PM me with any questions. I can't say it enough, this isn't a race, don't feel like you have to rush to the finish line.

Mike

Here is a review of the SVS SBS-01 done by Sound and Vision. This is a complete set for under $1000 or $1,149 with a kick ass sub (which is really important). Check it out ---> http://svsound.com/Reviews/2006-12_S...BS-01-PB12.pdf

Chemikalburn

Auditioning
Real Name
Jarrod Duncan
I'l definately pick up the calibration meter. My friend works at a place where he gets sweet deals on NHT speakers. I'm talking 60-70 % off. could you recommend any NHT's?

Mike_J_D

Stunt Coordinator

I run all NHT speakers.....I have the older verions of the new Classic series - basically they just made them look different. My setup is as follows - Classic 4 (fronts), Absolute Center, Classic 2 (rears). I love them, they are accurate and plenty loud for me. If you could get the Classic 3 (front and rear) and a Three C (center) at 60-70 percent off I wouldn't even consider anything else - but that's just my opinion.

I have a Denon 3808ci running mine and it's a mighty nice combination. But, if I were you I would go listen to them first, everybodies ears are different.

Bluzman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
If you want at least some of the same features as the Sony DG910 provides and you like Denon, get the AVR-1908. It won't have 3 HDMI inputs but at least it handles audio received via HDMI unlike the rest of the AVR 1x08 series.

jlefevre

Grip
Real Name
James LeFevre
My experience so far on speakers with the auto calibration receivers has been that any good full range speaker will calibrate just fine so don't kill yourself thinking you have to buy a matched set . My front left and right speakers ar LARGE folded hors with a rear loaded 12 in bass driver and a horn midrange and horn HF. They are ones I custom built over 30 years ago whne I was just using plain old stereo. My center channel is a 3 way system that has a 10 in bass driver hidden behind the RPT and two cone midrange and 2 cone tweeters in a small enclosure above the RPT. The rears and 2 way in wall JBL with 8 inch bass drivers and a HF cone . The sub is a dual 4 ohm voice coil 12 in car subwoofer in an enclosure that is about 9 cu. ft. volume and bass port tuned to 21 HZ. I have had two auto calibrate recievers, a pioneer and now a Yamaha and the both calibrate without error using both there internal amps and also with the all tube power amps I am using on all speakers at present.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks