What's new

Projector vs. HDTV (1 Viewer)

JPetrillo

Auditioning
Real Name
Jesse Petrillo
Hello everyone :)

I was originally considering buying a big screen HDTV, but now I'm thinking about getting a HD Projector instead, since obviously I could get the same size (or bigger) screen for a smaller amount of money!

In my own experience (which isn’t much) projectors that I've always seen in person where never as good of quality as those nice big HDTV's. I wouldn’t want to get a projector unless I could get the same (or better quality) as a 1080p HDTV.

So my question is: are there any projectors out there that have at least the same quality as 1080p HDTV's and if so which ones are they?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You haven't seen a projector in a properly set up room (100% light control), properly calibrated and fed a quality HDTV source. My Panasonic AE900U projecting on a 103" DIY screen looks just as good as my 55" Mitsubishi rear projection TV. If you want to install the projector in a living room with a lot of windows or want to use a drop down screen (they wrinkle) or take any other short cuts then you will end up with a disappointing picture. The environment and screen is sometimes more important than the projector you choose.

Post your location in your profile. You may find a local willing to give a demonstration. I've had a few people over to see my setup and were impressed. Especially when I told them that my screen cost less than $100.

-Robert

jblfx

Grip
Real Name
Luis
I own a Sharp XR-10S projector with a 100 inch screen. I know its not the top of the line, but I think it looks awesome! I have the HD cable box hooked up to a receiver then to the projector by S-video. Most digital cable channels look really good. DVDs and HD cable channels look great.

So I can only imagine what a higher priced projector would look like.

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
I give another vote for PJ. There is nothing like a well calibrated projector for watching movies and sports. I have a Plasma and DLP TV in other rooms and I will always prefer the PJ.

jblfx

Grip
Real Name
Luis
Well, this projector didn't come with component plugs. It only has s-video or composite video. But we are getting HD cable channels. While watching a local station, you can flip back and forth between the regular and HD version and see a huge difference. I would assume that if this projector was not HD compatible we wouldn't get a picture at all, correct?

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
Luis

The cable box downconverts the video to a level S-Video outputs can handle. I use both outputs on my HD box so I can set up the DVR without turning the PJ on. It is connected to a $79 9" TV that is definitely not HD.

I am sure the picture is better than the SD channel being upconverted but it is not HD.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
jblfx, what you need to do is use the VGA input on projector to run component cables. You have 2 options: 1) Get a VGA/component adapter that plugs into VGA input on projector. You then hook up component cable to that. Or 2) Get a cable with VGA on one end, and component on the other end. I used method #1 with my old X1 projector. I recommend Monoprice.com to purchase either one. You'll notice a nice improvement once you switch to component cables.

jblfx

Grip
Real Name
Luis
OK, well it looks really good. We've had it for about three years now and we're very happy with it. Thanks for all the info.

jblfx

Grip
Real Name
Luis
I would like to try the VGA/Component adapter, but the way we had to set up our projector it would be hard. We have a two story house so our living room is very tall. The projector is behind us on the ceiling of the dining room entryway witch is lower. So the S-video and rear surround speaker wires had to come from there around to the front where the screen, dvd player, receiver, and cable box are. I had to go on ebay to find a 50ft s-video cable. So unless someone sells a 30+ft VGA/component adapter cable ( anyone know of someone?) I'll have to wait till I can put our home theatre in a regular room.

jblfx

Grip
Real Name
Luis
Well, just went to ebay and found some VGA/Component cables up to 100ft! Found some that have it in 35 to 50ft. Will remeasure tomorrow then order one. Wish me luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks