Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Projector vs. HDTV

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 OFFLINE   JPetrillo

JPetrillo

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted January 22 2008 - 09:16 AM

Hello everyone Posted Image

I was originally considering buying a big screen HDTV, but now I'm thinking about getting a HD Projector instead, since obviously I could get the same size (or bigger) screen for a smaller amount of money!

In my own experience (which isn’t much) projectors that I've always seen in person where never as good of quality as those nice big HDTV's. I wouldn’t want to get a projector unless I could get the same (or better quality) as a 1080p HDTV.

So my question is: are there any projectors out there that have at least the same quality as 1080p HDTV's and if so which ones are they?

Thanks for your help in advance!

#2 of 15 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,729 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted January 22 2008 - 12:34 PM

Yes, 1080p projectors. Go to Projectorcentral.com and Projectorreviews.com.

#3 of 15 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,235 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted January 22 2008 - 02:22 PM

You haven't seen a projector in a properly set up room (100% light control), properly calibrated and fed a quality HDTV source. My Panasonic AE900U projecting on a 103" DIY screen looks just as good as my 55" Mitsubishi rear projection TV. If you want to install the projector in a living room with a lot of windows or want to use a drop down screen (they wrinkle) or take any other short cuts then you will end up with a disappointing picture. The environment and screen is sometimes more important than the projector you choose. Post your location in your profile. You may find a local willing to give a demonstration. I've had a few people over to see my setup and were impressed. Especially when I told them that my screen cost less than $100. -Robert

#4 of 15 OFFLINE   jblfx

jblfx

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted January 22 2008 - 02:43 PM

I own a Sharp XR-10S projector with a 100 inch screen. I know its not the top of the line, but I think it looks awesome! I have the HD cable box hooked up to a receiver then to the projector by S-video. Most digital cable channels look really good. DVDs and HD cable channels look great. So I can only imagine what a higher priced projector would look like.

#5 of 15 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,729 posts

Posted January 22 2008 - 07:01 PM

jblfx, why are you using S-video instead of component? HD signals can't even be sent over S-video.

#6 of 15 OFFLINE   Doug_H

Doug_H

Supporting Actor

• 588 posts

Posted January 23 2008 - 08:40 AM

I give another vote for PJ. There is nothing like a well calibrated projector for watching movies and sports. I have a Plasma and DLP TV in other rooms and I will always prefer the PJ.
Every child has many wishes. Some include a wallet, two chicks, and a cigar, but that's another story.

#7 of 15 OFFLINE   jblfx

jblfx

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted January 23 2008 - 02:20 PM

Well, this projector didn't come with component plugs. It only has s-video or composite video. But we are getting HD cable channels. While watching a local station, you can flip back and forth between the regular and HD version and see a huge difference. I would assume that if this projector was not HD compatible we wouldn't get a picture at all, correct?

#8 of 15 OFFLINE   Doug_H

Doug_H

Supporting Actor

• 588 posts

Posted January 23 2008 - 02:43 PM

Luis The cable box downconverts the video to a level S-Video outputs can handle. I use both outputs on my HD box so I can set up the DVR without turning the PJ on. It is connected to a $79 9" TV that is definitely not HD. I am sure the picture is better than the SD channel being upconverted but it is not HD.
Every child has many wishes. Some include a wallet, two chicks, and a cigar, but that's another story.

#9 of 15 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,729 posts

Posted January 23 2008 - 06:40 PM

jblfx, what you need to do is use the VGA input on projector to run component cables. You have 2 options: 1) Get a VGA/component adapter that plugs into VGA input on projector. You then hook up component cable to that. Or 2) Get a cable with VGA on one end, and component on the other end. I used method #1 with my old X1 projector. I recommend Monoprice.com to purchase either one. You'll notice a nice improvement once you switch to component cables.

#10 of 15 OFFLINE   plinkoking

plinkoking

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted January 24 2008 - 04:52 AM

good info thanks

#11 of 15 OFFLINE   jblfx

jblfx

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted January 24 2008 - 08:37 AM

OK, well it looks really good. We've had it for about three years now and we're very happy with it. Thanks for all the info.

#12 of 15 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,729 posts

Posted January 24 2008 - 12:28 PM

I'm sure it looks good, but it can look even better.

#13 of 15 OFFLINE   jblfx

jblfx

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted January 24 2008 - 03:38 PM

I would like to try the VGA/Component adapter, but the way we had to set up our projector it would be hard. We have a two story house so our living room is very tall. The projector is behind us on the ceiling of the dining room entryway witch is lower. So the S-video and rear surround speaker wires had to come from there around to the front where the screen, dvd player, receiver, and cable box are. I had to go on ebay to find a 50ft s-video cable. So unless someone sells a 30+ft VGA/component adapter cable ( anyone know of someone?) I'll have to wait till I can put our home theatre in a regular room.

#14 of 15 OFFLINE   jblfx

jblfx

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted January 24 2008 - 04:10 PM

Well, just went to ebay and found some VGA/Component cables up to 100ft! Found some that have it in 35 to 50ft. Will remeasure tomorrow then order one. Wish me luck.

#15 of 15 OFFLINE   Joey Link

Joey Link

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted January 27 2008 - 09:19 PM

You're going to love the improvement!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users