Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

MST3K: The Movie - Universal release coming 5/8/08!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,399 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted January 22 2008 - 05:18 AM

YES!!!

Link

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#2 of 16 OFFLINE   Tim Tucker

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter

• 1,023 posts

Posted January 22 2008 - 05:58 AM

Finally! I was beginning to think that this would never be reissued. And it is ironic that this is getting a anamorphic release, while This Island Earth only rated a fullscreen one.
BARBARA WRIGHT: You're from Earth?
MORTON DILL: No... no, ma'am, I... I'm from Alabama.
Doctor Who: Flight Through Eternity

#3 of 16 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,654 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted January 22 2008 - 05:59 AM

OH GOD, I JUST PAID $200 FOR IT ON EBAY!!!!!!!!!!!

Just kidding. Posted Image I'll be replacing my old Image disc that I must have bought 9 or 10 years ago.

EDIT: I know the link says May 8 but that's a Thursday so it's most likely the wrong date.

#4 of 16 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,470 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted January 22 2008 - 06:12 AM

Universal's 2-disc German release included 'This Island Earth' as an extra; can't recall for sure if it was anamorphic or not, but I seem to think that (like the current R2 UK transfer) it was.
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#5 of 16 OFFLINE   SilverWook

SilverWook

Screenwriter

• 1,661 posts

Posted January 22 2008 - 07:08 AM

Nice that it's finally getting a reissue. I guess we won't be seeing any extras like the deleted scenes though. Wasn't it DTS sound in theatrical release though?

#6 of 16 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,399 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted January 22 2008 - 08:47 AM

You're right. The Digital Bits says 5/6/08, so that's surely the actual date. Can a Mod change the thread title? Thanks in advance!

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#7 of 16 OFFLINE   RobertM.Fleming

RobertM.Fleming

Stunt Coordinator

• 88 posts

Posted January 22 2008 - 05:21 PM

This is very excellent news. this mean I can finally retire my "screener" VHS copy I permanently borrowed from the video store I worked at in high school. "quick, lets escape under cover of afternoon in the biggest car in the county!"

#8 of 16 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,981 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted January 23 2008 - 02:00 AM

Darn. And I've always felt badass since I paid $13 for it years ago just before it left the store shelves.
Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#9 of 16 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,269 posts

Posted January 23 2008 - 04:10 AM

Yep, no more pride of ownership of another rarity. Snif.

Posted Image Good for MST3K fans though.

#10 of 16 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,981 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted January 23 2008 - 04:16 AM

Well I'm not giving up yet, darnit! I'm going to milk the bragging rights for all they're worth thru May 5th!! Posted ImagePosted Image

Yep, good for fans. This will also drum up more interest in the show for Rhino to mull over some more.
Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#11 of 16 OFFLINE   Joel C

Joel C

Screenwriter

• 1,635 posts

Posted January 23 2008 - 04:50 AM

Considering I have had no desire to watch it again in the last... three years? - too many unwatched episodes in the Rhino sets as it is, let alone the dozens of VHS tapes stashed in my closet from the original airings - I'm really glad I sold this one a while back. I think I got $200 for it or something. Bummer about the deleted scenes though.
Joel
woemcats@hotmail.com
"Why I laugh?"

#12 of 16 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,132 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted January 23 2008 - 05:34 AM

This was one of the first 3 DVDs I bought (the other 2 were Artisan's The 10th Kingdom and Kenneth Branagh's Henry V). Wish there were some deleted scenes, though; that might be enought to make me pick up the new version.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#13 of 16 OFFLINE   Philo MacDuff

Philo MacDuff

Agent

• 37 posts

Posted January 23 2008 - 08:37 AM

I'm psyched that its finally getting reissued and they're giving it a new transfer with 5.1 but they really should include those deleted scenes. The entire shelter sequence is a blast. There's a large and ever growing following for MST3K. Someone at Universal must have finally realized this. If everyone buys this version maybe they'll be motivated to revisit it in a couple of years with extras.
Half Man... Half Ant... All Terror!

#14 of 16 OFFLINE   Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter

• 1,282 posts

Posted January 24 2008 - 04:43 AM

OMG!!! YEEESSSS!!!! Posted Image

Finally. Been a long wait. Both my father and I have been wanting to get this forever. We both feel so bad for not picking it up for $25 10 years ago (didnt know it would go OOP so soon). Got pretty darn close to buying it for $200 on Amazon or Ebay. Ughh...so much. This is good news, indeed.
Another supporter of 1080p and uncompressed multi-channel sound!

My Twin 18's. 50cuft of box, tuned to 11hz and with 2k watts on tap.

#15 of 16 OFFLINE   Matt_H

Matt_H

Stunt Coordinator

• 174 posts

Posted January 24 2008 - 08:39 AM

Did the MST3K rights just come up for renewal? I only ask because Shoutfactory just got the rights to the show.

#16 of 16 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,482 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted January 24 2008 - 09:05 AM

DTS Stereo, which is different apparently.