What's new

New Line, I want the Extended Cut of Golden Compass on Blu-ray!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

EricKA

Stunt Coordinator
I READ IN AN INTERVIEW WITH DIRECTOR CHRIS WEITZ THAT HE WOULD LIKE TO SEE AN EXTENDED VERSION OF GOLDEN COMPASS FOR BLU-RAY AND DVD, AS ABOUT 40 MINUTES OF FOOTAGE WAS CUT. I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO HAVE THIS EXTENDED VERSION ON BLU-RAY, AND I'M SURE THAT NEW LINE COULD PUT BOTH VERSIONS ON THE DISC WITH SEAMLESS BRANCHING, WITH A SECOND DISC FULL OF EXTRAS, SUCH AS TRAILERS/TV SPOTS. FEATURETTES AND PHOTO/POSTER GALLERIES AND CONCEPT ART.

NEW LINE, YOUR BLU-RAY'S OF PAN'S LABYRINTH, HAIRSPRAY AND RUSH HOUR 3 HAVE BEEN AWESOME! PLEASE PULL OUT ALL THE STOPS ON GOLDEN COMPASS TOO!!!
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

ERICKA

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I was going to take the family to see this one in the theater -- and still might -- but the reviews (and this mention of a much longer version) sound like there could be a much better, extended director's cut. If so, maybe I should just wait for such a BD release instead.

_Man_

EricKA

Stunt Coordinator
Thought the CAPS was the closest thing online one could get to sending a paper letter, (I did both) as I'm sure New Line looks at this forum. I truly hope they'll give an extended cut a consideration. I saw the film three times in the theaters, and I hope they'll go all out on the transfer for Golden Compass, as they have for their other releases so far. Hope they announce it soon!:)

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
I've never seen a case quite like THE GOLDEN COMPASS, an unqualified bomb in the U.S. (damn fundamentalists) but an unqualified blockbuster overseas. Will the overseas dollars "rescue" the possibility of a sequel, or will the series die before it really gets off the ground by U.S. box office draw being considered the only meaningful data point? If a sequel is pursued, will overseas distribution take precedence over an American release (a la 28 DAYS LATER and SUNSHINE)?

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I recently got into the book series so I'd love to see an extended version as well as films of the other two novels. While the US box office take would make it seem unlikely, let's hope its international gross and DVD sales are good enough for them to make the sequels even if on a lower budget.

Miles

Second Unit
I guess... I'll have to say, that I felt that the movie was poorly edited when I saw it but felt with a little more content it could be much better. I won't buy the theatrical version and will have to wait for an extended version.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
The specs call for DtsHD7.1 and DD+ ex. Will the DD+ track play on ALL blu-ray players?

EricKA

Stunt Coordinator
Neil,
Sorry in advance if I'm not audio tech savvy, but every New Line blu-ray
with 7.1 audio has played fine on my PS3 thru my DENON receiver.

Lance Rumbolt

Stunt Coordinator
God I hope it is I really want this film but only the rumored extended edition if we over here in the UK get it then i'm going to be very very happy.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Makes sense that international releases on BD would get the Extended Version. The film actually made money overseas, and New Line isn't releasing it.

ToEhrIsHuman

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig Ehr
From that DVDactive.com link I do not see anything which states the BD will have the extended cut (unfortunately.) It only states the 2-disc S-DVD set will have one, but the BD has no mention of which version it includes either way.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

What are you seeing that I'm not seeing? Nothing in the text refers to an Extended Edition one way or another, only the cover art references it. The text does mention that the 2-disc SD DVD and the Blu-ray will share all extras, so it stands to reason that the extended edition will apply to both releases. I'm just crossing my fingers that this same release will appear in a Region A area...

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
No such thing as DD+ in the BD spec. Tracks considered DD+(640 kbps and up) in HD DVD were released as DD on BD. The only DD format there has ever been any issue with on BD is True HD and most players have resolved that issue by now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks