Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

New Line, I want the Extended Cut of Golden Compass on Blu-ray!!!!!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 of 29 OFFLINE   EricKA

EricKA

Stunt Coordinator

• 84 posts

Posted January 22 2008 - 04:26 AM

I READ IN AN INTERVIEW WITH DIRECTOR CHRIS WEITZ THAT HE WOULD LIKE TO SEE AN EXTENDED VERSION OF GOLDEN COMPASS FOR BLU-RAY AND DVD, AS ABOUT 40 MINUTES OF FOOTAGE WAS CUT. I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO HAVE THIS EXTENDED VERSION ON BLU-RAY, AND I'M SURE THAT NEW LINE COULD PUT BOTH VERSIONS ON THE DISC WITH SEAMLESS BRANCHING, WITH A SECOND DISC FULL OF EXTRAS, SUCH AS TRAILERS/TV SPOTS. FEATURETTES AND PHOTO/POSTER GALLERIES AND CONCEPT ART.

NEW LINE, YOUR BLU-RAY'S OF PAN'S LABYRINTH, HAIRSPRAY AND RUSH HOUR 3 HAVE BEEN AWESOME! PLEASE PULL OUT ALL THE STOPS ON GOLDEN COMPASS TOO!!! Posted Image

ERICKA

#2 of 29 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,874 posts

Posted January 22 2008 - 06:29 AM

I was going to take the family to see this one in the theater -- and still might -- but the reviews (and this mention of a much longer version) sound like there could be a much better, extended director's cut. If so, maybe I should just wait for such a BD release instead.

_Man_
Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#3 of 29 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,337 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted January 22 2008 - 06:43 AM

I wouldn't expect an extended version until after the theatrical cut is released.

#4 of 29 OFFLINE   Craig_Ehr

Craig_Ehr

Second Unit

• 327 posts

Posted January 22 2008 - 07:32 AM

While a nice sentiment, and I happen to agree with you, I'm not sure CAPS LOCK ON is going to make much of a difference.

#5 of 29 OFFLINE   EricKA

EricKA

Stunt Coordinator

• 84 posts

Posted January 24 2008 - 08:02 PM

Thought the CAPS was the closest thing online one could get to sending a paper letter, (I did both) as I'm sure New Line looks at this forum. I truly hope they'll give an extended cut a consideration. I saw the film three times in the theaters, and I hope they'll go all out on the transfer for Golden Compass, as they have for their other releases so far. Hope they announce it soon!Posted Image

#6 of 29 OFFLINE   Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

• 1,175 posts

Posted January 24 2008 - 11:57 PM

I've never seen a case quite like THE GOLDEN COMPASS, an unqualified bomb in the U.S. (damn fundamentalists) but an unqualified blockbuster overseas. Will the overseas dollars "rescue" the possibility of a sequel, or will the series die before it really gets off the ground by U.S. box office draw being considered the only meaningful data point? If a sequel is pursued, will overseas distribution take precedence over an American release (a la 28 DAYS LATER and SUNSHINE)?
Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part...
--Det. William Somerset, SE7EN

http://www.dvdanthol...-movielist.html), http://LDDb.com/coll....user=Filmmaker

#7 of 29 OFFLINE   Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted January 25 2008 - 07:47 AM

I recently got into the book series so I'd love to see an extended version as well as films of the other two novels. While the US box office take would make it seem unlikely, let's hope its international gross and DVD sales are good enough for them to make the sequels even if on a lower budget.
"Here's looking at you, kid."

#8 of 29 OFFLINE   nolesrule

nolesrule

Producer

• 3,084 posts
  • LocationClearwater, FL

Posted January 25 2008 - 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricKA
Thought the CAPS was the closest thing online one could get to sending a paper letter, (I did both) as I'm sure New Line looks at this forum.

Actually, CAPS is considered shouting in internet parlance.

#9 of 29 OFFLINE   EricKA

EricKA

Stunt Coordinator

• 84 posts

Posted January 25 2008 - 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolesrule
Actually, CAPS is considered shouting in internet parlance.

Thanks. Will know better for next time.

#10 of 29 OFFLINE   Miles

Miles

Second Unit

• 284 posts

Posted January 28 2008 - 02:35 AM

I guess... I'll have to say, that I felt that the movie was poorly edited when I saw it but felt with a little more content it could be much better. I won't buy the theatrical version and will have to wait for an extended version.

#11 of 29 OFFLINE   Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,341 posts

Posted January 28 2008 - 08:43 AM

The specs call for DtsHD7.1 and DD+ ex. Will the DD+ track play on ALL blu-ray players?
Click and enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
My Home Theatre "The Holodeck"

#12 of 29 OFFLINE   EricKA

EricKA

Stunt Coordinator

• 84 posts

Posted January 29 2008 - 02:25 PM

Neil,
Sorry in advance if I'm not audio tech savvy, but every New Line blu-ray
with 7.1 audio has played fine on my PS3 thru my DENON receiver.

#13 of 29 OFFLINE   Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

• 1,175 posts

Posted April 02 2008 - 07:00 AM

Notice the cover art for the 2-Disc UK release:

The Golden Compass (UK - DVD R2 | BD RB) in News > Releases at DVDActive

Extended Edition? Hmm...wonder if Japan will have this; if so, I'll go that route and screw the truncated U.S. release...
Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part...

#14 of 29 OFFLINE   Lance Rumbolt

Lance Rumbolt

Stunt Coordinator

• 151 posts

Posted April 02 2008 - 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Brashear
Notice the cover art for the 2-Disc UK release:

The Golden Compass (UK - DVD R2 | BD RB) in News > Releases at DVDActive

Extended Edition? Hmm...wonder if Japan will have this; if so, I'll go that route and screw the truncated U.S. release...
God I hope it is I really want this film but only the rumored extended edition if we over here in the UK get it then i'm going to be very very happy.

#15 of 29 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted April 02 2008 - 11:46 AM

Makes sense that international releases on BD would get the Extended Version. The film actually made money overseas, and New Line isn't releasing it.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#16 of 29 OFFLINE   Craig_Ehr

Craig_Ehr

Second Unit

• 327 posts

Posted April 02 2008 - 12:30 PM

From that DVDactive.com link I do not see anything which states the BD will have the extended cut (unfortunately.) It only states the 2-disc S-DVD set will have one, but the BD has no mention of which version it includes either way.

#17 of 29 OFFLINE   Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

• 1,175 posts

Posted April 02 2008 - 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_Ehr
From that DVDactive.com link I do not see anything which states the BD will have the extended cut (unfortunately.) It only states the 2-disc S-DVD set will have one, but the BD has no mention of which version it includes either way.

What are you seeing that I'm not seeing? Nothing in the text refers to an Extended Edition one way or another, only the cover art references it. The text does mention that the 2-disc SD DVD and the Blu-ray will share all extras, so it stands to reason that the extended edition will apply to both releases. I'm just crossing my fingers that this same release will appear in a Region A area...

#18 of 29 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted April 02 2008 - 02:09 PM

Is the releasing company, Entertainment in Video, known for region coding their Blu-ray Discs?
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#19 of 29 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,077 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted April 03 2008 - 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Joseph
The specs call for DtsHD7.1 and DD+ ex. Will the DD+ track play on ALL blu-ray players?
No such thing as DD+ in the BD spec. Tracks considered DD+(640 kbps and up) in HD DVD were released as DD on BD. The only DD format there has ever been any issue with on BD is True HD and most players have resolved that issue by now.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#20 of 29 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,227 posts

Posted April 03 2008 - 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Arnette
Is the releasing company, Entertainment in Video, known for region coding their Blu-ray Discs?

You guys don´t read these threads, now do you.. Posted Image Posted Image

http://www.hometheat....riences-2.html

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow