The Official Star Trek Music Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
1045 replies to this topic

#961 of 1046 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,233 posts

Posted February 11 2014 - 09:18 PM

It's nice to see these companies ramping up the output of Star Trek soundtracks.

Also nice that there are more labels such as La La Land, Film Score Monthly and Intrada joining Varese Sarabande and GNP Crescendo with soundtracks from so many film scores that are probably too niche for the big labels with the limited releases of 3 to 4,000 copies with bonus tracks. I've been lucky recently to grab quite a few soundtracks from projects outside Star Trek. I just grabbed both versions of the 1960 The Time Machine and the first three Die Hard films.

The combination of Farpoint and Arsenal of Freedom does seem like an odd couple. I liked Arsenal of Freedom a lot, except the clunky acting of that chief engineer. :). I've been on the fence on the TNG and DS9 releases. They lack the strong character and melodies that make the TOS soundtracks so classic.

#962 of 1046 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,697 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted February 12 2014 - 06:38 AM

I've been on the fence on the TNG and DS9 releases. They lack the strong character and melodies that make the TOS soundtracks so classic.

I'd generally agree, but there are some scores from both shows that have heart, soul and just a little something different.  A lot of the early TNG music is like this..."Haven" comes to mind fairly quickly.  Not a good episode, but I find it melodic, off-kilter (for the show) and experimental.  TNG's "The Defector" is one of my favorites, along with "Best of Both Worlds" (the new version). 

DS9 music doesn't really stand out to me.  Love the series and the theme; they have some isolated moments of awesome music, but that goes more to what TPTB wanted more than what the composers were capable of.  Same with Voyager, though S3 Enterprise is surprising me right now.  It's going out on a limb, trying new things and entertaining.

#963 of 1046 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,233 posts

Posted February 15 2014 - 08:54 AM

The few times the TPTB let the composers free to compose music do stand out! TBOBW is definitely one of them. The Defector is a great episode, I agree. But I don't recall the music.

#964 of 1046 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,697 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted February 16 2014 - 04:40 PM

Someone has uploaded the Ron Jones package to YouTube, if you're okay listening that way, Nelson.  My favorite is The Stand-Off, but pretty much anything from the ep is great.

#965 of 1046 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,233 posts

Posted April 05 2014 - 09:54 AM

Guys, thought I'd make a post.

By the way Jason, I'm still torn about the Ron Jones set. I'll ponder on it some more. I just got the USB Beatles stick, so that was a big chunk of change, but worth having on top of The Beatles Remastered set.

I figure Scott and Lee might be amused by this. I've been listening to the Star Trek The Motion Picture 3 disc set from La La Land. I've been fixated with the three tracks, The Enterprise, Leaving Dry Dock and A Good Start. I really long these long pieces and the new Goldsmith theme reappearing in these tracks. So it made me wonder if the TOS tracks have anything similar.

I figure the best choices would be the Dunning and Mullendore tracks. And even the Courage and Steiner tracks might have something. The closest thing I can find as a fanfare type of track are Kirk's Command and the Mullendore tracks of Enterprise fly-by bits that I liked so much used in Conscience of the King.

These all average 15 seconds or less. It made me realize something. For film scores, they seem to have the luxury of longer tracks. For TV and probably TV in General, you have very short tracks and that's probably by design and the nature of TV. They only have 50 minutes and action or establishing shots are probably short. So they have to be used sparingly. Which is unfortunate. It would be interesting to hear what the TOS musical scores could have been like had they been allowed longer stretches of music.
  • Osato and Ockeghem like this

#966 of 1046 FanCollector

FanCollector

Producer

• 4,154 posts

Posted April 05 2014 - 10:37 AM

Interesting thought! The Duning scores for The Empath and Is There in Truth No Beauty? have some long passages; they are broken up into different cues as scenes changed, but they were still continuous musical underscore in the episodes. And yet, regarding your initial inspiration for listening, they don't incorporate the theme or the fanfare at all.

#967 of 1046 Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 1,910 posts

Posted April 05 2014 - 11:04 AM

Guys, thought I'd make a post.

By the way Jason, I'm still torn about the Ron Jones set. I'll ponder on it some more. I just got the USB Beatles stick, so that was a big chunk of change, but worth having on top of The Beatles Remastered set.

I figure Scott and Lee might be amused by this. I've been listening to the Star Trek The Motion Picture 3 disc set from La La Land. I've been fixated with the three tracks, The Enterprise, Leaving Dry Dock and A Good Start. I really long these long pieces and the new Goldsmith theme reappearing in these tracks. So it made me wonder if the TOS tracks have anything similar.

I figure the best choices would be the Dunning and Mullendore tracks. And even the Courage and Steiner tracks might have something. The closest thing I can find as a fanfare type of track are Kirk's Command and the Mullendore tracks of Enterprise fly-by bits that I liked so much used in Conscience of the King.

These all average 15 seconds or less. It made me realize something. For film scores, they seem to have the luxury of longer tracks. For TV and probably TV in General, you have very short tracks and that's probably by design and the nature of TV. They only have 50 minutes and action or establishing shots are probably short. So they have to be used sparingly. Which is unfortunate. It would be interesting to hear what the TOS musical scores could have been like had they been allowed longer stretches of music.

Just listened to the TMP 3 disc set again last night. Can't get enough of that one. I still can't believe it has been released and I own it. Such a fantastic score and the set is great.

I survived the new Nemesis score too. Some interesting stuff on there and some things I really like, but its still the worst Star Trek movie for me.

As much as I love Goldsmith's Trek scores, I think the TOS film ones are my favorites by far.

Side note, I'm watching season 3 of Voyager and really enjoying it too!

• Ockeghem likes this

#968 of 1046 Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,171 posts

Posted April 05 2014 - 11:17 AM

Nelson,

Nice post above!  I think I've mentioned a few times how meaningful the score for Star Trek: The Motion Picture is for me.  It's my favorite of all of the Trek film scores.  I wrote on some of the semi-technical musical aspects for that score on my Trek page which I think you've seen in the past.

• Osato likes this

#969 of 1046 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,233 posts

Posted April 05 2014 - 03:57 PM

The Motion Picture score is my favorite as well guys of all the motion picture scores. I actually like parts of Nemesis and it's score is on my list to get. But the first film really has a classic score!

Lee, I'll be listening to those TOS scores you mention. It did surprise me as to the difference between a TV score and a movie score. Although the Doomsday Machine and Amok Time has some pretty lengthy bits as those you mention Lee. So my revelation may not be all that special after all. :)
  • Osato likes this

#970 of 1046 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,697 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted April 05 2014 - 04:27 PM

I've been very slowly getting the Expanded Edition soundtracks. I spurged yesterday...Voyage Home, Undiscovered Country and First Contact from Amazon and Final Frontier from Screen Archives. It's been a real treat going though them all over again. There's exactly one track in the first three releases I get bored with: the bar souce music from ST III.

#971 of 1046 Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 1,910 posts

Posted April 06 2014 - 06:30 AM

The Motion Picture score is my favorite as well guys of all the motion picture scores. I actually like parts of Nemesis and it's score is on my list to get. But the first film really has a classic score!

Lee, I'll be listening to those TOS scores you mention. It did surprise me as to the difference between a TV score and a movie score. Although the Doomsday Machine and Amok Time has some pretty lengthy bits as those you mention Lee. So my revelation may not be all that special after all. :)

I picked up Nemesis right away when I learned it was a limited edition. Probably no worries that it will be sold out, but I didn't want to wait due to this fact.

#972 of 1046 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,233 posts

Posted April 06 2014 - 08:33 AM

Osato, I forgot Goldsmith did Insurrection, and I already have the expanded First Contact set. I'll grab the remaining and even McCarthy's score for Generations.

What's nice about all these Star Trek soundtracks is they are the Expanded sets from TOS films to TNG. I have the earlier TOS film soundtracks so it's great to get the newer ones. The James Bond soundtracks were cool for me in that I didn't collect the bulk of them till recently when they were remastered in 2003 and expanded as well.
  • Osato likes this

#973 of 1046 Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 1,910 posts

Posted April 06 2014 - 09:52 AM

Osato, I forgot Goldsmith did Insurrection, and I already have the expanded First Contact set. I'll grab the remaining and even McCarthy's score for Generations.

What's nice about all these Star Trek soundtracks is they are the Expanded sets from TOS films to TNG. I have the earlier TOS film soundtracks so it's great to get the newer ones. The James Bond soundtracks were cool for me in that I didn't collect the bulk of them till recently when they were remastered in 2003 and expanded as well.

Insurrection is great. Even if the film didn't go over as well, I think it has a great score. The expanded version added some nice cues as well.

I agree that it is great to hear the expanded and remastered versions of the TOS film scores. I had all of the original ones on cd as well.

I also had most of the James Bond scores on cd and upgraded when they were reissued in 2003. I never get tired of hearing those and they sound amazing too.

We have a lot to be thankful for in the Trek and Bond scores and to the efforts of Lukas Kendall and others for making them all happen.

#974 of 1046 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,697 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted April 11 2014 - 06:00 AM

So here's a question: LaLaLand has the TOS mega-set (my term, not theirs) for 20% off right now, brining the price from $225 plus shipping to a grand total of $192. Should I be looking for the TOS Volume I, II and III CD's as well...or is all that material included in this set?

I'm trying to decide what to order next...I have a long list of 15 CD's that aren't currently on my shelf. A few are LE's (TOS Set, Ron Jones Project, Nemesis) and at least one (Trek 09 Deluxe) is going for $120 on Amazon.

Just curious. I have an itchy debit card right now.

#975 of 1046 Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,642 posts

Posted April 11 2014 - 06:22 AM

So here's a question: LaLaLand has the TOS mega-set (my term, not theirs) for 20% off right now, brining the price from $225 plus shipping to a grand total of $192. Should I be looking for the TOS Volume I, II and III CD's as well...or is all that material included in this set?

I'm trying to decide what to order next...I have a long list of 15 CD's that aren't currently on my shelf. A few are LE's (TOS Set, Ron Jones Project, Nemesis) and at least one (Trek 09 Deluxe) is going for $120 on Amazon.

Just curious. I have an itchy debit card right now.

The mega set is inclusive of everything and it's a terrific release. Check out the HTF review (written by Kevin EK with support from me). I recommended it for that price...won't be that cheap for long...or possibly again.

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

#976 of 1046 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,697 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted April 11 2014 - 06:31 AM

Thanks Neil. I'll be going into that review in depth when I get home tonight.

I thought the price was going to be a great incentive right now, especially considering the next best price is almost $300 on Amazon.

#977 of 1046 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,233 posts

Posted April 11 2014 - 06:40 AM

Wow Jason, surprised you don't already have the TOS soundtrack set! They found everything, every bit of music used in TOS. It's a revelation if you are the TOS fan whose been looking for this. It's the holy grail of Star Trek soundtracks. Am I overselling it?

When the set first came out, it was such a overload of material for me, I hadn't really studied it. And in recent weeks I've been re listening to the sets and am amazed at the level of detail in all the tracks. On TV, the music is sometimes masked by dialogue and sound effects. So this is so revealing. And then the musicianship and hearing the individual musical instruments and new bits of sounds adds a new level of surprise and enjoyment for me. The thumping of a bass or horn you never heard before is pretty cool! I was wondering the other day if I should buy a second copy as a back-up!
  • Neil Middlemiss likes this

#978 of 1046 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,697 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted April 11 2014 - 06:50 AM

I just ordered it, Nelson.  :D

There's really no good reason I haven't been keeping up the soundtrack releases aside from...well, I haven't been doing it! I have two movie scores left to get (and I started finding them at Christmas). My next purchase will either have to be Nemesis or The Ron Jones Project. I'm kinda afraid of both of them going OOP and that kind of thing.

#979 of 1046 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,233 posts

Posted April 11 2014 - 06:55 AM

Congrats Jason! BTW, I looked at the La La land site, didn't see the set at 20% off there.

I've been guilty of putting off getting Nemesis and the other TNG sets myself. TOS is the priority for me.

#980 of 1046 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,697 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted April 11 2014 - 07:19 AM

Thanks Nelson! It's only going to take me the next 20 years to listen to all 15 CD's.  :)

Put it in your cart and the 20% should come off automatically. Also from their main page:

SPRING FEVER BLOWOUT! We've got the fever bad here in La-La Land and we're spreading the love to our customers with an unbeatable 20% OFF SALE! That's right, we'll take 20% OFF YOUR ENTIRE ORDER! Simply place your online order and 20% of your total price will be automatically deducted at checkout. (Note: This offer applies only to titles currently in stock). Sale runs through 4/21 (until 11:59pm PST).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users